Careful | Teen Ink

Careful

March 29, 2011
millie10writer SILVER, Ely,
9 articles 4 photos 5 comments

They told me to be careful.

Ha.

As I repelled down the side of my house, clutching the rope of bed sheets, I was careful of nothing but silence.

Nothing in the world could stop me now. Tonight was the night. I was going to see him.

My feet landed on the ground. The sound echoed louder than I’d thought, and I paused to make sure no one had heard it.

No one had.

Without hesitation I sprinted off across the lawn. Blades of fresh green grass pricked my feet and crumpled under my weight, muffling my heavy foot falls.

As I neared my parents window, my run slowed to a walk, then to one step at a time. I could almost hear their snores emanating through the window. They seemed to whisper fragments of our last conversation.

“Be careful, sweetie. We don’t want you to see this boy, he’s dangerous.”

“You don’t know anything about it him!”

“We know more than you think. We know about the drugs and his record. We know he’s pressuring you.”

“You’re wrong! You don’t even know him.”

“We know his type, and you are not allowed to see him again.”

“You can’t do that! You can’t keep us apart! I love him!”

I stormed out, and immediately locked the door to my room. The first thing I did was tie all of my sheets together as rope and throw it out my window. It cascaded down, fluttering into the night. The pale white looked ghostly against the darkness. I pulled on my black jacket, the one that he had given me. The one my parents hated. Carefully, I grabbed onto the rope of sheets and began to ascend. I was almost out the window when I heard a faint knock. I barely heard my mother whisper, “We just want what’s best for you.”

Yeah right I thought bitterly as I continued past their window. You don’t even know me anymore. Just watch me now, you can’t keep us apart.


As soon as my feet hit the black asphalt I took off running. I didn’t look back. I didn’t care that I was barefoot. I didn’t care about the tiny rocks that stabbed me in the foot. I didn’t care about anything in the world anymore except him.

It was almost midnight and the world was pitch black except for a few dimly lit street lights. My lungs burned and I panted heavily. I kept going; nothing in the world could stop me now.

He was the first thing I saw when I got there. As soon as I laid eyes on him, all doubts flew from my mind. Who cared what waited for me at home? All that matter was this moment, right now.
He swept me up into his arms and whispered, “I love you, baby.”

Then he kissed me.

And nothing in the world could be sweeter.