Ghostly | Teen Ink

Ghostly

By AustinJaySinai BRONZE, San Bernardino, California
AustinJaySinai BRONZE, San Bernardino, California

"In the world, Not of it."

I was so devastated when Drake had died. I couldn’t feel my heart and I had thoughts of suicide. Drake had been my life, my all. I could still feel his hands around my waist as he pulled me close to him while kissing me. I could still feel his wonderful kiss on my lips… but he was gone. My name is Natalie, my brown, long hair, skinny body, and brown eyes are no match to what Drake looked like. His beautiful blue eyes, his honey blonde hair, his tan skin are still a vivid image in my brain. This is the story of how I found my Drake.

. . . .

Today at around 12:30, I went to my locker and I tripped over my own feet. Oddly enough, I didn’t feel pain. I felt… cushion. I looked around to see my surroundings as to give me a hint of where I was. The room I was in looked… medieval. Flowery chairs, old wooden desks, a brick fireplace, and pecan walls. Another thing that I saw, which still haunts me to this day, was my dead boyfriend, Drake. He was chained down to a chair, his eyes wide open with fear, blood everywhere, (on his Hollister t-shirt, his dark blue jeans, even on his brown flip flops) but… he wasn’t breathing. Therefore, I knew for a fact that he was dead. I fell down to my knees and cried my eyes out. I missed him so much! When I finally stopped, I decided to look around and investigate. I could smell his blood; it still smelled fresh, with that salty aura and queasy feeling. All of a sudden, I heard a cracking noise and then a BOOM. I ran underneath the desk to hide and I saw a 16 year old boy… I could swear I knew him. Oh no. He was Drake’s best friend, Mason! I would recognize him from anywhere, what with his brown hair, long but not too long, his golden brown eyes, wearing a brown t-shirt, and worn jeans. He walked over towards Drake and laughed evily.

I wondered. Why was Mason laughing when his best friend was sitting right there dead?

“I told you it would happen.” He said. “But you didn’t listen to me, now did you?”

Soon after, he left. I got up and ran to Drake’s side. Did Mason do this to him? I doubted it… but it was still a big possibility.

. . . .

Ever since that day, I kept on trying to get back into the room that I saw Drake in. I finally, after many times, was able to get back inside. This time, he something creepy happened.

. . . .

I finally swept through the passage –wind blowing in my hair- into “the room.” A weird thing happened though. I was a flash of white, and I saw… Drake. But, he wasn’t… exactly… human. He looked ghostly.

“Natalie!” he ran to me and gave me a hug. I could feel the warmth in his embrace, but it was odd.

“Drake?” I said, “ Is it really you?”

“Yes, it’s really me. I’m here. Alive. Well, sort of.” He replied.

“Oh my gosh, Drake! I missed you so much!” I said.

“I missed you, too. I’m so happy you’re here with me.” He responded.

. . . .

“Hey Nat.” Mason said from behind me.
“Um… Hi Mason.” I replied, turning around to face him. What did he want?!

“So… Uh...” he started, “did you wanna have dinner on Friday?”

Heck no! I don’t want to do anything with you! I thought.
“Uh… Sorry. No.” I said. Then, I ran down the hall toward the cafeteria.

“Natalie! Wait!” he yelled. I ignored him and continued to run.

. . . .

I met with Drake every day whether there was rain or sunshine. One day, we even had a picnic. I brought subway sandwiches, a 2- liter of Pepsi, and a big bag of Funyuns. We hid out in a corner most of that time while holding hands and snacking every once in a while. We caught up on what needed to be said and told each other how each of us were doing since Drake had left.
He told me how Mason had killed him. Mason had come over to his house, and picked him up for football practice. They had gone over to Mason’s locker to drop off some books and Mason had pushed Drake into his locker. Somehow, he wound up on a pillow on the floor of this room. Then Mason had threatened that if he didn’t dump me and get me to go out with Mason, then he would kill Drake. Of course, Drake didn’t listen. So he magically chained him to a chair. He began to stab him with a knife and Drake would scream in agony. Then, Mason had stabbed right next to his heart, and Mason thought that he had killed him. Though, all that happened was that Drake became a ghost. He was stuck in this room, to hide, until someone came and set him free.
I told him how Mason had tried to ask me out and I knew now why Mason had killed Drake. I kind of figured that Mason wanted to be with me. I just figured that he wouldn’t go to that extent. Drake said that Mason had become jealous and violent after sophomore year when Drake had made the basketball team and he hadn’t. (That was around the time that I had fallen for him.)
After a while, I told him that I had to go. He kissed me goodbye and let me to the passage where I would leave. I barely leaned in and tripped myself. Then, I felt a huge gust of wind as I was taken inside a brick passage. Two seconds later, I was standing outside my locker.

. . . .
For the next few days, Mason started to follow me. It kind of freaked me out because I didn’t know what his intent was. After a while, I thought it had gotten a little excessive. So, I confronted him.

“Mason. Listen. This is not going to work. You can’t just keep following me. I don’t like you as much as you like me. I still love Drake and you know that. What you need to do,” I pointed at his chest, “is get another girl because I’m not going to budge anytime soon. So please stop, Mason.” I said.

“Natalie, I really, really, really like you. I can’t imagine my life without you…” he replied.

“But you were fine when Drake was here.” I interrupted. “Why the sudden change?”

“Well I wasn’t fine, okay? Is it so hard to understand that? I mean really.” He asked, defending himself.
“Yes… Yes it is. Well, kind of. I just don’t see where you stand on all of this. I mean you act perfectly fine when Drake is here, but when he’s gone you’re like this. Why all of a sudden are you so pushy? I want, no, need to know.” I responded.

“I…” he looked as if the words couldn’t come to him. “don’t know how to tell you. It’s very difficult to put to words. I would tell you if I could put words to it.”

“I’m… I’m sorry. I didn’t realize you felt like that.” I said, unsure of my decision. “Well now that I see how you really feel, I’ll take you up on that being your girlfriend.” I continued.

“Really?” he asked

“Absolutely.” I said.

. . . .
I had to see Drake. So, I quickly hugged Mason and told him that I had to work. He walked me to my locker, while holding my hand and then gave me a quick kiss on the cheek, then left. Once he was gone, I entered the passage.

. . . .
I immediately ran into Drake’s arms. I had to tell him. I couldn’t date Mason, but I had to until I could free drake. Automatically, he knew something was troubling me.

“Natalie, what’s wrong?” he asked, concerned.
“Umm…” my heart was pounding in my chest. “I’m fake dating Mason. Well, it isn’t fake for him. I just… I want to help you Drake. I want us to be able to be together. I promise that I will free you. I will use every part of me to…”
There was a cracking noise, BOOM, and then,
“Natalie!” Mason yelled. He saw Drake and became furious.
I shot a panicked look at Drake, who said, “Mason, you dare touch her, and you won’t see tomorrow. I swear.”

Mason laughed and said.
“You can stop me? I killed you!! Remember?! Me! So I’m the big bad wolf. Not you this time! You are going to wind up like the rest of your friends. Gone for eternity!”

In that moment, Drake became very pale and began to disappear.

“No!” I yelled. I saw Drake. He got pulled back toward the fire place into a green substance.
“Let him go, Mason!” I said, angrily.
“Ah, gladly. Once you agree to become my wizardess. And only then.” He replied.
I began to bawl. I needed to save Drake, but I had no clue how. Wait! Drake told me that if he were ever in this position, to just switch him out with Mason.

“Fine… Do what you want with me, but you have to let him go first!” I yelled, half crying.
Once Drake came out of the portal, I pushed Mason in. He was stuck there.
“NO! You can’t do this to me! No! N…” he vanished into thin air.

“Drake!” I said excitedly. He was human again. I ran into his arms and hugged him tightly while I ran my hands through his short, blonde hair.
“I love you,” he said.
“I love you, too.” I replied. And I did. I loved him with all of my heart. No ifs, no ands, and no buts.

. . . .
“I do.” Drake said. He smiled the most perfect smile at me.
“And Natalie, do you take Drake to be your lawful wedded husband? To love and to hold? In sickness and in health? Forever?” the priest asked.
“I do.” I answered.
“I now pronounce you man and wife. You may now kiss the bride.” He continued.
Drake pulled me by my waist, close to him. I put my arms around his neck and his lips pressed to mine. He was mine and I was his.

Forever.

I had to write a short story for english about ghosts. I began to write out a plot and when I finished I was so happy and I was recommended to publish it. I hope you enjoy it!!!