Jar of Hearts. This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Dear Prince Charming,

I'm a stagnant pool of opaqueness today.
But look closely.
Do you see? The gentle flickers, the elusive sparks flying everywhere?

Touch the water.
Disturb it.
Toss a pebble; make it lightly skim the surface.

It's clear now, cloudy next, a deep turbulent purple threatening to turn deep crimson red.

I'm confusion today. I'm turbulence. I'm drowning within myself today.

One harsh word, and you've got me.
I'm inflammable. I'm volatile. I'm too much at once. I'm burning out, not fading away.
It's all hard, cold granite at the surface.
Touch it.
Feel the smoothness. The cold, chilling perfection.
Press a little harder, and the illusion collapses in itself.

I'm smoke and mirrors. Just words and words and words. I'm weaving vivid colors, trying to get lost in them. Read me.
See through me.
I am but one word.

Don't fall for appearances. Don't be trapped by my words. Don't for a second read the walls of text I continually erect around me.

See right through me, and know I'm broken. Too many cracks, too many faults.

I am light and carefree, but one tiny thorn my way and I'm destroyed. I am on the ground, trampled down by your careless words.
I hear you speak. I hear the sounds. I look in your eyes, and know you mean no harm.

But my heart...my brain...me, I amplify your syllables.
Stretch them out, peer inside for a deeper meaning that doesn't exist.

Your words they replay like a stuck record in my head.
And I cry and cry, hot tears burning flesh, and your words, your beautiful dangerous words, kill me so so gently.

I chant them to myself, let them be my lullaby at night...waiting for sunshine--your light banter, to break this melancholy that's become my life. A day, a lifetime away from hearing you speak those bitter, bitter words.

And you make me laugh today. I am light and whole again. Look at me float away, not looking at the scars you've lovingly engraved on me.
And you'll never know. You'll never see what I hide so carefully. I'll close my eyes, and laugh all these shards away. But you, you'll never see the pain they make me bleed everyday.

Yours forever more,
Damsel In Distress.

Sad Betty Cooper said...
Apr. 19, 2011 at 5:25 am
Why did you leave again?:(

Betty Cooper said...
Mar. 31, 2011 at 10:29 am
Man, I've gone crazy since you left. I was just checking out "More about the author" and commented on one of your 'favourite works' thinking it was yours....I said; "You're combing back NOW." Eeeeel!!

DungeonDweller replied...
Mar. 31, 2011 at 11:38 am

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

That just made my day.

Ahahaha!

Betty Cooper said...
Mar. 31, 2011 at 10:19 am
Man, I'm terribly sorry. I didn't know how to rate this thing..so I clicked on the first star by mistake and they won't let me give you five.:(

DungeonDweller replied...
Mar. 31, 2011 at 11:39 am

Aw, man. It's chill, I'm glad you liked it :) That counts really. Give it a 5 or whatever next time, you can rate it once every day. Click on the 5th star for a 5, 4th for a 4 and so on. :P

Betty Cooper said...
Mar. 31, 2011 at 10:11 am
Five stars!!:))

Betty Cooper said...
Mar. 31, 2011 at 10:08 am

Wow!! Beautifully written. And very very poetic. I loved the spontaneous flow of emotion. 

You have a flair for writing. So don't you stop.

:)

PS Why did you leave dungeon dweller!! If it hadn't been for yahoo, I wouldn't have found you.:(

Has the Manasvi fever gotten to you??

DungeonDweller replied...
Mar. 31, 2011 at 11:40 am

:D 

Not really, no.

Oi, check out my blog someday: dungeondwelling.blogspot.com

:)

Bliss_of_Darkness said...
It was beautiful! The words are pull you in immediately. Truely, this is a beautiful piece. Please, keep writing. Five stars. ^0^

DungeonDweller replied...
Thank you so much; I'm glad you liked it. :)

EyesWideShut This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:17 am

Yay...TeenInk is being kind.

I read it yet again. *sigh* And this time I felt like all of me connected to it, not just the little bit from the past.

:)

DifferentTeenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:42 am

That was amazing, you are a great writer. You can obviously see your passion in your writing.

I am curretly working on a piece, I was also inspired by the song "Jar of Hearts" whether you were or not, I thought you were from the title. I'm still working on it so not anytime soon. But the title is "Who Do You Think You are?"

DungeonDweller replied...
Mar. 30, 2011 at 1:21 am

Thank you so much :)

I was inspired by Jar of Hearts, but I played Almost Lover by A Fine Frenzy as I wrote this.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it and I'm looking forward to reading your piece too :)

x

HockeyMetal19 said...
It's very understanding :) I am look forward for of your work :D

DungeonDweller replied...
Mar. 27, 2011 at 10:59 am
Thank you, I'm glad you liked it. :)

lostintherain said...
Mar. 26, 2011 at 11:48 am
whoa. i can't believe i am the first to comment on this because it's amazing! the words just pull you in, in a haunting melody of poetic writing.  sooo good. you should keep writing things like this. i'd love to read something else you wrote. have you published anything else on teenink?

DungeonDweller replied...

Thank you, that means a lot. :)

This is my first time submitting a work of fiction. You can check out my non fiction article on Teenink by clicking on 'More by this author'. 

x