"Heartbreak" | Teen Ink

"Heartbreak"

February 27, 2011
By KevinB.C. BRONZE, Rialto, California
KevinB.C. BRONZE, Rialto, California
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It is better to dare mighty things, to win great triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in that gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt


"Yes", she said with a smile.

And Kevin was the happiest he had felt in a long time. All past joys don't compare to this, he thought. This was special. This was magical. This was pure felicity. He had at last mustered up the courage to ask Rosalina, the most beautiful girl in his eyes, for the honor of being her man. Even better, she had said yes.

Almost in an instant, questions flooded Kevin's head. Now that they were together, what should he do? How should he act around her? Does she like a sensitive guy or bad boy? Where should he take her on dates? Would he be able to treat her well and respect her? And if problems arose between the two of them, how would he deal with them?

These thoughts worried him, made him fear that he might mess something up and lose her. This he was thinking when suddenly he felt something. Something grasping his hand. It felt warm and soft. He looked down and saw Rosalina's hand gently embracing his, her perfect, tender skin mixing with his own. Goosebumps crawled up and down his body, and as Kevin raised his head, his eyes met with Rosalina's face. Her complexion had turned a bright, rosy red and she was giggling bashfully. Kevin turned his eyes away quickly, in a sort of childlike embarrassment. He could feel his cheeks blushing. Rosalina took notice of this, laughed as a teenage girl laughs when she is flattered, and kissed Kevin on his bright red cheek. He could not have been happier.

The days and the weeks passed by, as they do for every human being that lives on this earth, with Kevin's happiness growing ever so high. He cared for Rosalina, tended to her every need, comforted her in times of pain, and took her out on dates as lovers do. All in all, Kevin was deeply in love with Rosalina. And he wanted to show it.

The perfect opportunity, Kevin decided, came with the Valentine's Day School Dance, to be held at the Rosewood Lake Park on the 13th of February; it was already the day before. After school, Kevin told Rosalina that he had a surprise planned for her at the dance and that they would meet under the Rosewood Arch near the lake at sunset. The two kissed each other innocently, and went their separate ways home.

Many a couple were eagerly awaiting the day of the dance, with the guys brushing up on their chivalry and the girls doing whatever it is that teenage girls do in preparing for such occasions. All the while, Kevin ventured the various gift shops of the town in search of the perfect gifts for Rosalina. By the end of his search, Kevin had obtained a large bouquet of adorned pink roses, the sweet scent of which reminded Kevin of Rosalina's long, flowing, angelic, hazelnut hair. Also, Kevin, seeing as he was a religious boy, procured a rose-stone cross necklace, a gift that he believed would truly express his love for Rosalina. Lastly, Kevin had bought a delicious pastry, custom decorated with Kevin's choice words:
"Rosalina, te amo mucho, mi bella."

The day of the Valentine's Day School Dance had come, the sun was setting over the dancers in the park, and Kevin could not wait to see Rosalina in all her beauty. Still at home, Kevin prepared himself and his gifts. With the same excitement of waiting to surprise the birthday kid behind the front door, Kevin left the house, with gifts at hand, for the dance at Rosewood Lake. He arrived a few minutes later, happily humming to himself, and walked to the edge of Rosewood Lake, expecting to see Rosalina arrive any minute now. After a while, Kevin checked his watch. 5 minutes passed. No sight of her. 10 minutes went by. No sight of her. The sky was starting to glow red. 20 minutes gone away.
"Where is she?” Kevin said to himself.
Kevin turned his eyes to the lake surface and watched the reflection of the sunset. The sun was nearly gone, it appeared. Kevin stared quietly at the watery image, imagining all the while of he and Rosalina, standing together under the Rosewood Arch, kissing and embracing each other as only true lovers do in that blissful moment where nothing else matters. Kevin then looked at the pastry he had bought for Rosalina and read the message over in his head:










"Rosalina, te amo mucho, mi bella."
Kevin smiled, and he smiled at the thought of how Rosalina would see this message of his love for her and embrace him in joyous tears.
Tears. Hmmm. Tears. This is the reaction you could say that overwhelmed Kevin after he lifted his head once more and saw at the other side of the lake Rosalina, standing under the Rosewood Arch, her beautiful dress flowing with the calm wind, her lips and arms embracing those of another boy.


The author's comments:
Love. Bliss. Heartbreak. We have all felt these emotions once in our lifetimes; this is the story of one individual's heartbreak.