His Angel | Teen Ink

His Angel

February 20, 2011
By SomebodytoLeanOn17 BRONZE, Austin, Texas
SomebodytoLeanOn17 BRONZE, Austin, Texas
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon."


Nick was not the kind of guy that cried. Not the kind of guy that let salty teardrops fall from his eyes. Not the kind of guy that let his emotions out. Nick was the kind of guy that stayed strong. The kind of guy that kept his face dry. The kind of guy that held his heart in a firm grasp.
But, Bray changed his perspective. The hard-as-rock college boy was transformed by a beautiful blue-eyed brunette. Her soft smile melted Nick’s heart into a puddle of pure gold. Bray’s optimism helped him through his exams and mid-terms. Bray’s sweet laugh curled the edges of his lips into what might have been a smile. When their lips touched, Nick felt like he had been touched by an angel. A sweet, wonderful angel sent straight from heaven.
Bray was cunning, clever, smart. She always managed to make Nick’s thoughts escape from their deep abyss in his mind. She cracked his thoughts of his mother leaving, being abused by his father as a child, running away, and living in multiple foster homes and orphanages. She always smiled sympathetically at Nick’s horrible past while she ran her hand through his shaggy black hair. He especially loved it when she did that.
Now, Bray was leaving. Dying. The cancer had come and gone, but then it came back worse than ever. It ate away at her strength like a monster sent by the devil himself. Nick barely held himself together, looking at his love lying weakly on the hospital bed, red eyes with dark circles underneath. Bray’s bright glowed faded, her smile became faint, and she was too weak to do most anything.
Nick was angry, to say the least. The only thing he loved, slipping right through his fingers. She was only twenty-six, for God’s sake. She didn’t deserve to go through this. But, Nick was positive she would make it. Bray was a fighter; she could make it through the thickest situations. Nick was ready for her recovery. He had it all planned. She would make it, and the couple would live as one heart, in holy matrimony.
But then, the doctors told him. She wouldn’t make it. There was no hope. Her body would be nothing but…a body. Nick yelled, he screamed, but he knew he couldn’t change anything. Bray would leave, and there was nothing he could do about it.
The day came, and Nick prepared himself. He wore the nicest outfit he had: pitch black trousers and a pinstriped black button down shirt. He brought her favorite flowers and a little something else. The carnations were as blue as the sky, and the sapphire lodged in the ring shone like her eyes. By some unknown force, he knew it would her death date.

Nick stood at the side of her bed and looked into her deep eyes. She lifted her hand weakly and Nick grasped it. He guided it into his hair and let the strands swirled in-between her fingertips. He dug his hand in his pocket and pulled out the ring. He softly put Bray’s finger through the hole and held onto her hand. Bray smiled and her eyes fluttered close. The heart monitor beeped and the red line trailed at the bottom of the screen.

Nick bit his lip and mentally screamed at God. But he knew Bray was angel placed on Earth to transform him, and now that her duty was complete, she was to return to her heave. His angel was returning to heaven.

Nick was not the kind of guy that cried. Not the kind of guy that let salty teardrops fall from his eyes. Not the kind of guy that let his emotions out. Nick was the kind of guy that stayed strong. The kind of guy that kept his face dry. The kind of guy that held his heart in a firm grasp.

But, when his angel left, Nick felt salty tears splash onto his cheeks.


The author's comments:
I'm not sure why I wrote this, I just felt like it.