Live, Laugh, Love, Cry | Teen Ink

Live, Laugh, Love, Cry

By Haley_Elizabeth GOLD, Wallingford, Vermont
Haley_Elizabeth GOLD, Wallingford, Vermont

"Embrace imperfection rather than hide your flaws."

I just graduated, I thought, barely. I continued to think inside my head. This is my summer. I want to see if I can live on my own for just one whole summer, no need to bring friends or call my family for help. This is going to be my new start of a new life! I'm going to try to get a job. It doesn't have to pay well. I brought enough money with me to live high-class for at least 6 months. I just want a summer job that I'll enjoy. I bought my own beach house already. Even though I just graduated, I have money. It started when I was 15 years old. I had always gotten paid from my parents since I was 13 for cleaning up around the house, but that was just $10.00 a week. It definitely wasn't enough to keep up with my makeup and wardrobe updates. So, when I turned 15 I started working as a Salon Assistant. At first, when I wanted to apply, they turned me down. But who wouldn't? I was 15 and this was a professional place, but I didn't give up! I knew I could do it so I showed them what I could really do and how skilled I was and eventually, I got the job. It paid quite a bit of money. I had a true passion for Cosmetology. Yes, had. I had wanted to be a Cosmetologist since I was 14. I could have stayed in Rhode Island, for sure, and continued up that trail, but i'm not exactly positive that I would be happy doing Cosmetology for the rest of my life, and enjoying it. So thats why i'm here, in The Outer Banks of North Carolina. This is my summer to do a lot a soul searching, much tanning, a bunch of shopping, and of course, have fun all the way through.
Here I am. I thought to myself as I pulled in the drive way of my brand new beach house. It's beautiful, full of plant life on the outer edges of the deck, with seashells on the balcony.
I think my hearts going to explode, I thought as I slowly started to open the periwinkle colored front door. I felt my eyes widen and my mouth spread open. The inside was perfect. I can't believe I bought this all by myself, I thought.

"Ahhh," letting out a deep, warm breathe while starring at the ocean from my very own balcony felt so right! I thought.

I decided to walk instead of drive. I was never going to use my car around here.
I came across many help wanted signs but I couldn't get myself to apply. None of them seems meant to be. But, just when I was about to turn around and apply to some pathetic movie theater job a sign catch my eye that read 'HELP WANTED! DANCE INSTRUCTOR NEEDED!' What the heck, I'll give it a shot. I love to dance, I thought, I used to be a Ballerina and I took Jazz for years.
As I walked in, the first thing I noticed was how nice it smelled, which was odd because it was a fitness center/dance studio. Shouldn't this place smell like sweat? I asked myself inside my head. The second thing I noticed was more important. It was a hot older guy. Yummmmm. He was gorgeous. And, by old, I don't mean really old like in your 30's, I meant, like, 23, 24.
He noticed my gawking at him as soon as I stepped into the place. His name tag said Vinny on it and he started to walk towards me. I was trying to decide whether or not I should run out of there or stay. His good looks were making me panic. Fortunately, I stayed.
"Hey, I'm Vinny." He said it was a smile. "Can I do anything for you?"
I paused for what seemed like forever. "Ughhhhhhh, I'm Bella. Help wanted?" I pointed towards the sign.
"Oh, yeah, definitely." He handed me an application.
Vinny continued to talk to me as I struggled to fill out all the papers. "So, Vinny. You work here?" Duh, that was the stupidest question I could have asked.
"Yep. I'm the manager. So," he lowered his voice and leaned in closer, "even if you have absolutely no experience, I might hire you." He smiled.
I stifled a giggle. "Well, I really don't have experience at all. But, I took lessons for years as a kid and I remember everything."
"What'd you take." He sounded truly interested.
"Ballet for seven years and Jazz for five."
"You have the job!" He smiled a big smile, a cute smile.
"I haven't even finished my application." I was confused but thrilled. That was easier than I thought.
"I need a Ballet instructor for about eight 6 year old little girls. Think you can handle it?"
"Yes!" I nearly screamed. I hesitated to hug him and he noticed so he took the lead and held out his arms.
Just when I was about to go through the revolving doors I heard Vinny call my name. "Hey, Bella!" He looked down at the floor and didn't raise his eyes to even look at me the slightest bit. "Wanna, maybe... hangout tonight? Maybe take a walk on the beach and talk?" He was hesitant.
"I'd love to." I smiled at him.

So Vinny was taking me out on a date tonight. Okay, no problem. I'll just stop somewhere and get a dress with some sandals and maybe a matching designer handbag to match. Normally I would go with heels, but on sand... I don't think so.

My doorbell rang. "Ah!" i almost screamed by catch myself in case he might have been able to hear me.
I quickly looked at myself in the full length mirror upstairs at my beautiful sequined mini dress. It was my perfect fit. all the colors that went well with my skin tone: Yellow, Blue, Pink, Purple, Orange, Green, Silver, and Gold. So, pretty much almost all colors went well with me. My hair was exactly in order; dark brown with different shades of blonde highlights. My sandals were light blue areopostale and my handbag, of course, straight out of the new arrivals box from pacsun. And, the finishing touches, makeup -- perfect!
I.Was.Sexy.

I ran down stairs and opened the door to a buff, hotly dressed, gorgeous hunk of sexy.
Vinny was speechless, I could tell. And, he told me.
"I'm speechless. You look amazing." He was starring and I took that as a compliment.
"Ready?" I said sounding perky.
"If you are." He replied, taking my hand in his.

So are you new? I haven't seen you around ever before and I know everyone." He kicked a seashell into the ocean.
Vinny held my sandals in the same hand he held his. We walked close by the ocean so we could get our feet wet when the waves drew in.
"Um, yeah." I answered him. "I graduated a few weeks ago... barely. I could have stayed in Rhode Island and worked as a Cosmetologist. But..." I looking out into the water. "I wanted to come here and figure out if thats really what I want to do. I don't know if I could wake up every single morning wanting to do the same thing everyday. I think thats why I dance. I could do it anytime anywhere. I love it and I could do it for the rest of my life."
"Thats why i'm a trainer." He sounded excited. "I've always loved working out and helping myself stay healthy and i'm more than happy to help other people to the same goal." He seemed happy to say that. "I actually really hired you because as soon as I saw you I felt like you were the same kind of person. When I looked into your eyes I thought I could just tell that you liked helping people, even if thats means that sometimes it would make you unhappy." He finished.
"That was beautiful." I had tears in my eyes.
"So, talk about school... you barely passed?" He smiled at me then at the waves.
"Yeah, hah." I giggled. "I've always hated school, ever since I was in Elementary. I never got good grades. My teachers usually always hated me because I didn't 'try hard enough' they would say." i smiled and continued with my eyes getting blurry from tears that I wouldn't let fall. "My parents were always yelling at me because of my grades all throughout high school since my Freshman Year. I wasn't a studier. They told me that I 'couldn't' end up like my older brother, Nate, who also barely passed and started smoking pot when he was 17. My parents sometimes made me want to smoke pot but I was always too afraid to try it. They got me really mad when I told them I was coming down here, to Outer Banks. My dad said: you finally found something your good at, which was Cosmetology, and now your leaving. He thinks i'm a failure, just like Nate. I left right after that and came straight here." My tears overcame by body and fell one after the other continuously. "I'm sorry." I sobbed.
"Don't be. Thats horrible." He pulled me into a tight hug and led me to higher sand where we could sit without getting wet. "I'm sorry that happened to you. And, not like you should listen to someone you just met but don't do pot. I used to and it ruined my life, i'm never going back. I don't want that happening to you, or anyone else."
"Don't worry. I'm a chicken. I don't try anything if I even have the slightest doubt about it." I smiled wiping my tears, Vinny helped.
"Good. I admire you for that." He starred into my eyes.
I starred back, then I realized he was leaning in for a kiss and I did not hesitate.
We kissed for a long while. When we both pulled back we smiled at each other.

He helped me up off the sand. We continued to walk. After the passionate kiss we shared there was no space between us. Instead of holding my hand, he draped his arm over my shoulder and I held the same hand with my other arm around his waist.

Vinny was now walking me up the shore line to my house. I so did not want to go home but its not like I was going to tell him that. That would sound SO desperate!

"Listen," I said as we neared the house.
He looked interested in what I was about to say.
"I'm sorry for freaking out before about my parents. You SO did NOT need to hear any of that. I have a habit of not thinking before I talk." I looked at the ground the whole time.
He grabbed my cheeks on both sides and lifted my head to kiss my lips. The kiss was long, soft, and sweet. His mouth tasted like candy. And I loved candy. "Don't apologize, please." He grinned. "I'm glad you told me. You wanna, maybe go to the movies tomorrow?"
He gave me one last flavorful kiss after I answered his question with a yes and then exchanged cell phone numbers so we could text.
I think that was the best night of my life, I thought to myself.

I walked to work the next afternoon. I was never going to use my car when nothing was far away.

I walked into the dance studio, not seeing Vinny anywhere. He was probably in the fitness part.
Eight 6 year old little girls came into the room about 20 minutes later. They weren't shy, thank goodness. I didn't work well with shy kids. They were very friendly and all introduced themselves. I told them my name was Bellaand that we were going to have a lot of fun together.

I started class off with some stretches, then went straight to the very first thing you ever learn in
Ballet; how to do a plie ad how to keep your arms out and to hide your thumbs.

That was my only class. I loved it. Some of the girls even hugged me after the hour long session.

"You were great in class today!" Vinny complimented me when he found me in the lobby.
"You saw?" I sounded suprised he came to my class and I didn't notice.
"Yeah. I popped in for a bit. The girls seem to love you." He smiled.
"I hope so. Do you think it would be okay if I let them choose a song for the recital and i'll just add moves to it that work? I think they'll like that." I was hopeful.
"Sound great!" He answered. "Are you headed out? I could drive you."
"Thats okay. I haven;t used my car since I got here. I love to walk and just look at how beautiful everything is." I relied looking outside.
"Okay. I'll see you tonight." He waved goodbye.
I wasn't expecting anything - a kiss, a hug, but he surprised me. I got pulled in by his muscular arms and before I knew it, we were in the kiss. We he pulled away my head was spinning, I think his was to, thats what I got by his facial expression at least. "Sorry." He said afterwards.
"Don't be." I answered him, smiling. And I left to go home and get ready for tonight.

Mt first sort of "long" story. More parts to come to make it "long," at least.

on Aug. 18 2011 at 10:20 am

hahah. okay, thats true, i do love Nicholas Sparks but definitely NOT more than you. I'm positive:)

on Aug. 11 2011 at 9:41 pm
weebnini DIAMOND, San Diego, California

"Done & Over"

"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."

"People should be able to say how they feel. How they really feel. Not, you know, some words that some strangers put in their mouth."

ohmygosh, you're making me tear up! I probably will never know how much you seem to love my work, but you'll never know how touched I feel<3 Seriously, I'm flattered, but you know you love Nicholas Sparks more than me(:

on Aug. 10 2011 at 7:12 pm

Oh, my god! My favorite writer in the world is asking for more to my story. My life is totally complete right now! Thank you so much. You really have no idea how much i love you and your work! I love you more than any famous writer.. ever. Of course, i'll put more on. oh, my god. I cant stop smiling right now. I probably sound like a dork, but im just so happy. Thank you! and i'll get right on that!

on Jul. 22 2011 at 12:42 am
weebnini DIAMOND, San Diego, California

"Done & Over"

I'm asking:)

on Apr. 20 2011 at 8:13 pm

Actually i'm not going to add more to teenink. i have the whole story done though. its SUPER long. But i don't see the point of putting more parts to it if no one wants to read on. If someone asks and i can tell they really want more, i'll definitely add to this!

on Mar. 5 2011 at 10:07 am

more to come!

on Mar. 5 2011 at 8:45 am
Camie_Sammie BRONZE, East Wallingford, Vermont

"Live the life you wanna live, not what people want you too."

This one I like best.