Valentines Day | Teen Ink

Valentines Day

February 14, 2011
By TaylorNB BRONZE, Hillsboro, Missouri
TaylorNB BRONZE, Hillsboro, Missouri
2 articles 1 photo 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Two roads diverged in a wood and I-
I took the one less travled by, and that has made all the difference"
-Robert Frost


Valentines Day. A day loved by some and hated by others. Me? I’m not a fan of it, it’s not even a real holiday. I have never had a Valentine in my 18 years of living. Sure, I have had my share of boyfriends but every time Valentines day comes up I have no one. Unless you count third grade when the weird kid that sits behind me tapped me on my back and handed me a Spongebob Squarepants card. I wasn’t expecting today to be any different, so I will go about the day using my normal routine.

I walk down 22nd street trying to ignore the smell of red roses and chocolate in the air. After all today was a normal day. But I could not get the scent out of my nose and the nagging in my stomach that tells me that I do want today to be special and I do want a valentine this year. I try to stay focused so I go into the café by my apartment to get my usual vanilla mocha with whip cream. I also go in here because of the cute cashier that I have been crushing on for three years. Its not an obsession or anything I just like to talk to him on top of drinking my coffee. He’s really sweet and holds a conversation with me all the time but he has had a beautiful perfect Barbie Doll girlfriend since the day I met him. But what’s that stopping me from? I walk through the door and hear the familiar ding as I enter. The place is full of couples gazing into each others eyes. Great, I think. When I finally get to the front of the line I am not greeted by Derek but by someone else with the name Henry. Where is Derek at? In the back of my mind however I knew the answer. Of course he was with his girlfriend. I order my coffee and sit alone at a table staring at the empty stool in front of me. Why would I give my hopes up on a day like this? Why would I think he liked me? Normal people talk to each other. Depressed I decide to call Emily and ask if she wants to have dinner since she didn’t have boyfriend either. I get my phone out to discover that I have a new text, while reading it I also discover that she does have a date tonight. Uggg, could today get any worse? Even though its only eleven o’clock I decide to go home and watch movies all day. What could be better than being in my own little perfect world all day? I would soon find out.

When I get home and walk up the stairs to my apartment I see I beautiful bouquet of flowers. My heart is racing as pick them up and read the card. It says:


Ashley,
I wake up every day counting on seeing your face
Did you know you make my heart race
I hope to see you this Valentines Day, Be Mine?

Love Derek


I don’t know how long I stood there smiling at the piece of paper, but I was disturbed by a laugh and a question. A question I have been waiting all day to hear.


The author's comments:
This is my very first short story/ writting