"Come here often?" | Teen Ink

"Come here often?"

February 10, 2011
By PassionateWriter BRONZE, Hayden, Arizona
PassionateWriter BRONZE, Hayden, Arizona
4 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Distance makes the heart grow fonder." :)


It’s February 13th. The thought of what is coming tomorrow is already disgusting me. I do not care about Cupid, conversation hearts, or sappy little Hallmark cards. I guess I’m the “Scrooge” of Valentine’s Day. But I suppose that’s just because I, along with tons of other people, will be single on Valentine’s Day. Bummer. In twenty four hours, I will awake to find the world painted a million different shades of red and pink. There will be hearts in every nook and cranny and I do predict the smell of fresh roses will be present everywhere. Ew.

I decide to stop in at the local coffee shop to start off my morning. The special of the day catches my eye: “Cupid’s Concoction” Ugh, you have got to be kidding me. If only I could find a huge rock to just hide under. I order up my frappacino, and rush out the door. Disaster strikes. I run right into a guy and well, caramel frap meet my t-shirt. I look at this guy and it’s like a surge of electricity races through my veins. He flashes the most amazing smile I think I have ever seen and says, “Come here often?” Oh brother. Not even the cutest smile could make up for that awful pick-up line. “Come here often? That’s the best you can do?” He smiles again but I’m not falling for it. Cupid, you’re gonna have to try harder than that. I slide out of the coffee shop door and continue on to face the rest of the mushiness I’m sure the world has in store.

***************************************************************

She was the most beautiful girl I’d ever laid my eyes on. Her deep blue eyes; it was like they had me lost at sea. Her perfectly shaped lips; I could kiss them all day. Everything about her was just, amazing. I stared at her and it was like our eyes locked and someone threw away the key. Perfect, like the movies. Too bad I couldn’t be Noah from the Notebook and say something to sweep her off her feet. No, instead I say “Come here often?” Open mouth, insert foot. Great. Goodbye girl of my dreams.

I couldn’t stop thinking about her. And now it’s February 14th. Valentine’s day. Now normally I wouldn’t give a hoot about this day. But knowing she’s out there, without me, I feel empty. I feel like I need her to give this day meaning. I have a heart full of love but no one to give it to. She’s the one I want to give it to. I wander aimlessly among couples in the street. I feel like the only single person on the face of the earth. I’m lost in my own thoughts…

*Thump* I knock someone over, again. I really need to start watching where I’m walking. I open my mouth to apologize but I choke on my words. Those blue eyes, oh my gosh. It’s her.

“No, I don’t come here often,” she says.

I catch my breath and I began talking like I have diarrhea of the mouth.

“I don’t know why I told you that yesterday. And I’ve been thinking about what I would say if I could do it all over again. And I’ve looked up best pick-up lines, since apparently mine wasn’t up to par yesterday. I’ve come up with ‘I play the field, and it looks like I just hit a home run with you.’ And ‘If I received a nickel for everytime I saw someone as beautiful as you, I'd have five cents.’ How about ‘Damn girl, you have more curves than a race track.’ Okay maybe not that one…”


“So, then give me your best pick-up line,” She interrupted.


My emotions took over my brain and I said, “Truth is, no pick-up line will do for you. The best pick-up line I have for you is simple: I like you. I am completely and utterly captivated by you.”


*Two years later*


A man walks into a coffee shop. He sits next to a woman with deep blue eyes and says, “Hey come here often?” He flashes the most amazing smile and kisses his wife.