Destined Thoughts | Teen Ink

Destined Thoughts

By Diamondlu SILVER, La, Georgia
Diamondlu SILVER, La, Georgia

I checked myself in the mirror one last time and gave myself a stunning smile. My blond hair lay in waves down my back, and my makeup made my blue eyes pop out perfectly. I had on a simple blue cotton shirt and jeans, but they were tight in all the right places. I'm definitely not the conceded type, but I thought I looked pretty dang good.

“Lyra, Michael is here!” As soon as my mother said his name my heart skipped a beat. I rushed towards the living room, almost tripping down the stairs in the process. As soon as I saw him a smile tugged at my lips. His hair was black and shaggy, his eyes a deep deep blue. Michael had a good two or three inches on me, but it seemed like the perfect height to me. His muscles broad, and his skin tan. I almost sighed, he was perfect.

I remained calm in front of my mother, but I saw him smiling just as big as I was. As soon as we got into his truck, I tackled him in a hug. “Oh, Michael I've missed you!” He didn't have to say anything, I knew he missed me too by hugging me as tight as he did. Of course, I didn't give him a chance to say anything because almost instantly my lips were on his, and my head was spinning. He always seemed to have this effect on me.

Of course, he was the first to pull away. “Babe, we're still in your driveway, how about lets leave before I get shot.” He said with a chuckle. I laughed and nodded my head. He cranked up his truck, which seemed really old to me but he wouldn't trade his ford for anything. Sometimes I wondered if he would choose it over me, but of course I knew he wouldn't.

“So where are you taking me?” I asked excitingly. It was our three year anniversary, and he always planned something special.

“Now, why on earth would I tell you?” Michael teased as he put his arm around me and pulled me close in the seat.

“Because you love me?” I tried using my cutest voice and rested my head on his shoulder.

He laughed at this, “Of course I do, but there's no chance I'm gonna tell you anything, Babe.” I looked up at him and stuck my bottom lip out in a pout, and he gave me a quick peck on the lips. “Still not gonna tell you.”

I looked up at the sky, he had timed everything perfectly. I was guessing by the time we got to wherever it was we were going that it would be about sunset, and I grinned at the thought. We pulled up to a stop sign, where there was no traffic but he put the truck in park. I looked at him with a confused look as he reached behind the seat for something.

Michael gave me a grin and he pulled up a black shirt, which he tied around my eyes as a blindfold. “You've got to be kidding me!” I laughed.

“Lyra, do I ever kid?” Michael laughed, “don't answer that.”

I sighed and leaned back against him, “are we almost there?”

“Almost.” He promised as he put the truck back in gear and pulled out into the street. It wasn't long down the road that we pulled onto a gravel road. I honestly had no clue where it was we were going. Finally the truck came to a stop and he turned the engine off. “Stay here.” He ordered, which only made me sigh again. This just made him laugh.

I heard some noises, but I really couldn't make out what they were. Probably because he was trying to cover all of them up with coughing or humming. I didn't hear him open the door again so I squealed when I felt him pick me up, then I giggled. He only walked a few feet before he put me down on the bed of the truck, which he had covered with a blanket.

“You can take the blindfold off now.” I heard him say from back in the front of the truck. I looked behind me and took it off, only to see him putting a Cd in his radio. He let the first song play, and I smiled when I realized it was our song. I looked around me to see where we were, and it took me a moment to realize we were on the hill he took me when he asked me to be his girlfriend. In the horizon you could see mountains and a perfect view of the sunset. I definitely had the best boyfriend in the world.

He walked slowly towards me and hopped on the truck. Standing up he reached his hand out to me, which I took. He lifted me up and wrapped me close in his arms. I put my arms around his neck and we swayed to the music. On the back of his truck.

“Michael, your the best boyfriend any girl could ever have.” I looked into his blue eyes with a huge smile on my face. “I love you so much.”

He lifted his hand up to my face and kissed me softly on the lips. “I love you to Lyra, more than anything in the world.” Then he kissed me again. It was a slow, deep kiss. My head was spinning, and if it wasn't for his hand on my back my knees probably would've buckled. There was explosions of fireworks going off in my head.

This, I knew, it what real love felt like. I wanted to stay like this forever. Sometime while we were kissing we ended up sitting down on the bed of the truck, but when I wasn't sure. I just know when we finally broke apart from lack of air, I was sitting on his lap and he was sitting on the edge of the truck. I smiled at him and traced every feature on his face with my index finger. I would remember this day forever.

“Have I ever told you that you're the most beautiful being on the face of this earth?” Michael asked as he attempted to pull me closet than we already were.

“Hmm, possibly, but I'll probably never get tired of hearing you say it.” I said with a smile etched on my lips as I kissed him on the cheek. He chuckled and tickled my sides and I laughed and wrapped my arms around his neck.

“You know, I think I spoil you too much.”

“No, I think you spoil me the right amount.” I laughed and looked in front of us as the sun began to set, and the music played in his truck. He laughed too and wrapped his arms around my waist. “I am the luckiest girl in the world though, I don't want us to ever change.”

“Baby, I'm the luckiest man in the world to have such a beautiful, amazing woman.” He said and kissed me on the cheek once, “but things between us are going to change as time goes on.” Michael must have noticed that I didn't like the sound of that because he turned my face towards him and kissed me lovingly on the lips. “Let me finish. Things are going to change, but one thing that will never lessen is my love for you. If possible, it will only grow.”

That was the last thing I was expecting Michael to say. Yes, he planned romantic dates and yes I knew he loved me with all his heart. Never, though, ever did I think I would hear him say something as sweet and romantic as that. It almost moved me to tears. “You know, it's hard to believe I've been with you since I was sixteen-years-old.” Three years had passed, three whole years. “I've never been happier.”

Michael beamed at this and scooted me off his lap. I gave him a confused look, but he just gave me a goofy smile. He grabbed my hand and laced his fingers with mine and pulled me off the truck. He began to run and I ran with him. “Michael, where are we going?”

“Do you ever stop asking questions?” He laughed and tugged me along, “just come on and you'll see.” I laughed and ran beside him, his hand still clutching on to mine.

I tried to look where we were going, but it was hard to look around while you were running in the dark. The sun had set, and the moon was beginning to rise. Finally he began to slow down and I recognized the place at once. The moon was shining, and there were soft waves in the lake. It was the place they walked to on their first date, the same day he had asked her to be his girlfriend. She mentally kicked herself for not remembering this the minute he started running. It was the place he first kissed her, the first time she ever felt fireworks.

Before I could say anything Michael's lips captured mine. As soon as his lips touched mine I felt fireworks just as strong as the first time they had kissed in that exact same spot. When he pulled away I felt dizzy and I had to blink a few times to get my vision clear again. I gasped and my eyes teared up as soon as I saw him. Michael, down on one knee, looking as nervous as he did when he asked her to be his girlfriend. He dug into his pocket and brought out a black velvet box. Another gasp escaped my lips and my hand came up to my mouth.

“Lyra Rose, we have been together exactly three years from today. I've never been more in love, and I don't see how I could love you more. If there is such a thing as soul mates, I am one-hundred percent sure that you are mine. Would you do the honor of making me the happiest man in the world and becoming Lyra Evans?” Michael stuttered a few words, but they didn't sound rehearsed. It sounded like every word was coming from the heart, and I knew I knew he meant every single word.

I was at a loss for words, a tear rolled down my cheek and I nodded my head. I nodded it again with a huge smile on my face and yelled, “YES! Yesyesyesyesyesyesyes!” I threw my arms around his neck and kissed every inch of his face. He hugged me so tight I couldn't breath, but I didn't care. He put the ring on my finger, and it was beautiful. “Did I mention I am the luckiest girl alive? Oh you are the most amazing, best boyfriend ever!”

“Fiance.” He corrected with a smile on his face that looked like it would never fade.

I sighed lovingly, “finance.” I agreed and gave him a kiss full of nothing but love. For once, without a doubt, I knew in my heart we would be a couple together forever. If anything in this world was meant to happen it was for us to be together, and I believed it with everything within me. You just can't love someone as much as we love each other and it not be meant to be. For the first time in my life, I believed in true love.

I, like almost ever girl my age, have always wanted to believe true love. It is a hard concept to believe, and the only way I could express it is in fiction because I believe the only way you can have a soul mate is in fiction.