The Friend Who Stays | Teen Ink

The Friend Who Stays

January 9, 2011
By Shrien PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
Shrien PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
23 articles 7 photos 62 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When one door closes, another one opens"


“Nate, I’m sorry” I say, my hands shaking and my face scorched with tears. “For what Lilly? Huh? Do you even know anymore?” he says, his teeth clenched and a vein pulsing in his forehead. It scared me to see him like that. “I’m sorry! What do you want me to do!?” I cried out, sobbing. But this time he didn’t come and comfort me like he always did. He didn’t push my hair back from my face and whisper as he kissed my lips. I stretched my hand out, “Please Nate. It was an accident.” He laughed bitterly, “It was an accident Lilly? Ha! YOU WERE DRUNK! YOU WERE BEHIND THE WHEEL!” he screamed. I shrunk back against the wall, “Please” I say hoarsely. “You could have killed yourself! You could have killed the people around you! If I didn’t find you when you stumbled out of that damn car, you could’ve…god, Lilly…” he said. I could tell he was shaken up, he kept running his hand through his hair, and his lips were trembling. “I made a mistake, Nate. Everyone does, don’t they?” I say, my voice faltering. He kneels down to meet me eye-to-eye. That’s when I broke. I screamed loudly and dug my head into my knees, crying so hard, my chest hurt. He still didn’t move toward me. “What’s wrong with me Nate!? Why do I do this to myself? Why do I do this to the people I care about?” I screamed. “Lilly” he whispered. I looked up, “What…what Nate?” I stutter. “Just leave. If you hate me so much now, just leave!” I exclaim. There was only so much taunting and lecturing I could take. “No.” I looked up at his throbbing blue eyes. He grabbed my arm and pulled me up. I toppled to my feet, scared. I closed my eyes tightly. “I’m not going to hurt you. But this is the final straw Lilly…it was good while it lasted.” I screamed of pain, of remorse. “No! No! No! NO!” I kept screaming. He shook his head. “Please, Nate, don’t leave me. You can’t…” He shook his head and hugged me. “I’m not going to leave you Lilly. I won’t be the boyfriend who leaves you. I’ll be the friend who stays.”


The author's comments:
Was Inspired...