That Soccer Boy (Part 2) | Teen Ink

That Soccer Boy (Part 2)

By Petite SILVER, Seymour, Indiana
Petite SILVER, Seymour, Indiana

The ring of the bell rang vigorously in Lily’s ears as she stood up and entered the hallway. There, she dodged the waves of people that swarmed around, and hurried down the steps to her locker. She quickly stuffed her navy bag and slung it on her shoulders as she raced to the library. A white slip of paper was pasted on the library door, and it read: “Closed for the day.” Then, she froze, realizing that someone had been leaning against the sidewall, watching her.

“So I guess we won’t be using the library today” Henry said.

“I guess not. Now what are we going to do?”

“I suppose we can work together at my house.”

For the first time, Lily looked up, her eyes wide with surprise.

“You don’t have to if you’d feel uncomfortable” Henry quickly added. Lily shook her head, as if baffled by his statement.

“No, that’s totally fine!” she chimed, and Henry seemed to relax, the tension in his expression softening.

“OK, then. Let’s head over to my car.”

They walked to the parking lot in silence, and Lily carefully noted Henry’s features – his short dark hair, which appeared to be chestnut brown under the flickering fluorescent light, his sparkling eyes that shimmers when he flashes his adorable smile, and his arm with a hint of muscle, trimmed perfectly without bulkiness. As she was sneaking glances at him, he turned, gazing straight into her eyes. Lily felt her face burning and suddenly turned to the empty walls for escape.

“Do I have something on my face?” Henry asked.

“Why would you think that?”

“Because you were staring at me with a funny look on your face,” he uttered as a smile danced on his lips.

“Are you saying that my face is funny?” she teasingly questioned.

“Maybe.”

“You’re so mean!” she slapped his arm jokingly, both of them giggling when they reached his beaten-up car.

“Well, it’s not much, but hop in!”

Lily pulled the passenger door, squeezing her way in as she slid into the leather seat. A mixture of mint gum, sweat, and air freshener floated under her nose, and she smiled, delighted by the natural scent of his car. Despite the fact that it was pretty small and used, the vehicle was kept under good hands, as the carpets were clean with no trash sitting on them, and the windows gleamed under the rays of sun peeking through the shadows.

“Do you like it?” Henry asked as he twirled the steering wheel, leading the car out of the parking lot.

“Like what?” Lily pretended to be oblivious.

“My crappy old car?”

“I don’t think it’s crappy. I actually think it’s nice.”

“Really?” he turned, amazement etched across his face.

“Yeah. I can see that the owner takes good care of it.”

The traffic light ahead flashed red and Henry gradually stepped on the breaks.

“You know what, Lily? You’re way too sweet” he grinned, his intense eyes shimmering, and melting away Lily’s heart.

Lonleydandy said...
Will do!            

Petite SILVER said...
Petite SILVER, Seymour, Indiana
Thank you! :) The third part will be posted soon, so please check that out, too!!

Lonleydandy said...
Pretty good! Keep it going!