Face It | Teen Ink

Face It

December 13, 2010
By Christieee BRONZE, Shalimar, Florida
Christieee BRONZE, Shalimar, Florida
1 article 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
live, laugh, love:)


Walking through the busy, cramped, crowded halls, lonely as ever. I see him and my heart begins to pound. Our eyes meet and it is the best two seconds of my life. Here she comes, the girl I despise, Brittany Melanon. I never thought I’d hate anyone so much. Why would she take him from me? Why would she want to be liked so much? How could she? She is so selfish and stuck-up! I think to myself.

I continue to walk down the dark hall that seemed never-ending, but only to find myself dreaming of how my life would be if Brittany was gone and I was with Chase. I would get him all to myself, something only my dreams could imagine true.

While day dreaming, I run into her. This is like the worst possible thing to do. Why was I so stupid? Why wasn’t I paying attention? Thank goodness Chase is not around to observe this scene, but somehow I know that this won’t stay from him for long. I know I shouldn’t do this, but in that instant my embarrassment leads me to give up on all of my dreams of one day being with Chase.

“Ummm…Brittany, I’m so sorry. I... I…”

“Get out of my way you punk, and next time watch where you’re going,” she screams at me.

“Uhhh…I’m really sorry Brittany,” I murmur as I turn and begin to run away.

“Oh and Claire, it’s pretty obvious that you were dreaming about a life that you will NEVER have,” adds Brittany. With that comment, all of my dreams are officially gone.
I don’t stop, not even to pick up the papers that I dropped. I ran all the way home, tears rolling down my face. When I get home, I stop, but only to get out my key. When I get in, I run straight to my room and shove my face in to my pillow. I cry for hours, although it feels like an eternity.
On Monday, I go to school feeling lonelier than ever. Everyone is laughing at me, but to my surprise, the one I treasure most isn’t. At lunch, I was stunned to see Chase sitting all alone. It’s in my instinct to go over and sit with him.
“Hey. What’s up Chase?” I say.
“Oh, nothing really. Just thinking. You know, about stuff.” he says.
“Anything I can help with?” I ask.
“No. Not really. I’m just thinking about if breaking up with Brittany was the right thing to do,” he replies. I am absolutely shocked by his declaration at this point.
“Oh. Wow. Well why’d you break up with her?” I say trying not to sound too happy, although I’m bursting with excitement!
“Well you see there was this girl that accidentally ran into her Friday and she told her off and later started talking trash about her and I am just so sick of her acting like that to everyone. She thinks that she is better than everyone, and I don’t know Claire. She’s just… getting on my nerves lately,” he says. After his declaration, I know he’s starting to feel a little better after getting that off his chest.
“Oh. Well that girl was me,” I say in amazement that I just told him about my mortifying moment. “And I’m really sorry you two broke up. I’m here if you ever need to talk,” I say sincerely. He smiled.
“Thanks Claire. Well actually there is something else I have to get off my chest.” There is a long awkward pause. “Well, you see. Well, I kind of like you. And I have since the 5th grade but I thought you hated me so I never said anything. I completely understand if you don’t feel the same way.”
“Why did you think I hated you?” I question, ignoring his other statements.
“Well I guess it was because in the 5th grade, I did something to make you mad and I thought you still hated me.”
“Ha-ha. Wow, that was when we were kids, and I kind of like you too.” It takes him a minute to process all of this. Judging by his reaction, I think he is glad that I like him too.
“Well if you like me,” he says slowly, almost like he is procrastinating, “Then…then will you go out with me?”
“Oh my gosh, yes! I was hoping you would ask that,” I say in shock. Chase smiles.
Chase and I have been together for over two years now and it’s time for graduation. We are both going to the same college, Auburn University, to become lawyers. If I could say one thing to my fellow classmates, it is that you should never give up on your dreams because one day they just might come true.