The Rain Dance. | Teen Ink

The Rain Dance.

By RayaanC BRONZE, Dhaka, Other
RayaanC BRONZE, Dhaka, Other

" Can't we see beyond the scars and make it to the dawn?"

- What About Now, Daughtry

"Literature always anticipates life. It does not copy it but moulds it to its purpose"
-Oscar Wilde

" All that we can possibly imagine is reality in its self"
-Pablo Picasso

"Impossible is a word that only exists in a fool's dictionary"

-Napoleon Bonaparte

I know you are here to kill me. Shoot, coward, you are only going to kill a man.

We cannot be sure of having something to live for unless we are willing to die for it

- Che Guevara (1928 - 1967)

Be as radical as reality.

-Lenin (1870 - 1924)

"Deep inside the folds of my mind, were thoughts uncommon among those of my kind" - Yours' Truly

"There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.”- John Lydon.

"What is mind? Doesn't matter. What is matter? Never mind" - Homer J. Simpson

" I shant stop from propagating the truth even if the moon is brought to my one hand and the sun to the other" -Mohammed(PBUH)

" You are the best of people, evolved from mankind, enjoining what is right, forbidding what is wrong and believing in Allah"
-Al-Quran (3:110)

"Truth shall never prevail over falsehood for falsehood is by its nature bound to parish"
-Al-Quran (17:81)

Beneath a heaven of dark, cumulonimbus, floating clouds, when the moon never shone itself even for a hairbreadth's time, while downpour it had been that drenched the earth in profusion, she awaited him."You appear just like a dream to me ..," heartbreakingly beautiful, her voice sang along –while with each pronounced note- she sounded lucidly melodious than before, "Don't you know, you're beautiful!"

He got down from his office. Grey clouds slowly shrouded the sky. With every passing second, sunlight faded further. Even in this situtation. He felt good about himself. After all, he was going to meet her. He took short steps. He wanted to live in the moment. He wanted to let the joy sink in. He was the happiest man on earth. With every diastole, he recalled her. Her voice, her smile. It all made his heart melt. He could feel an orchestra playing in his mind. He was mad. Mad for her.

It was one evening, 'full of the linnet's wings', as Yeats had long ago put it. While the pouring sky shook thunderously, a lustrously youthful girl, striding across a sandy, pearl-white shore, had watched with dreamy eyes the fluttering of small, grey wings of those linnets –as they were flying home. In grave melancholia, beyond her mind, she played with her curly hair locks – twirling and unwinding- with dripping raindrops; she was visibly sodden. What took him so long? His thought, her cheeks a suffused scarlet, rendered timid but acute heartbreaks in her and she wondered if her flawed mechanism would make it t his arrival.

He crossed two streets, on his way to her. He knew this route like the back of his mind but it still felt like an adventure that day. It slowly started to rain. He knew she was where he belonged. Her odour always gave him a sense of fullfilment. Her eyes, deep pools of mahoghany for him to drown in. She was what he had been born for. She was everything for him. She was his life. He felt rain drops pattering his head. He didn't care. All the rain in the world coudn't stop him.

The eastern sky by then had ordained a grandiose shade of diffused blue! Tow curiously deep, green eyes looked up in wordless speculation; the heavenly water forming tender beads on her ravishing eyelashes –suddenly she knew she felt something. The rainwater was falling rhythmically in drops, all of them seeming frenzied when hitting the soft sand, then erupted into uncountable, cascading raindrops! Hick, white foams imbued the relentless waves, and as the rapturously sonorous sound of the rain filled her ears,

she could tell what it was: a rain dance!

As everyone ran for shelter from the downpour, he continued on regardless.He tried to avoid the mud but it was the last thing on his mind. All he wanted was to be with her. To embrace her. He could jump if need be. He looked inside his pocket. He wanted to ensure it was safe. It was. Nicely boxed and raedy to spring into someone's fingers. He had saved 4 months salary for it. As he walked on, he felt anxiety brewing in his mind. Would she say yes? He cleared the thoughts instantly. he knew she loved him. He knew she had already agreed, in her mind.

The rain danced sprightly, the waves breaking in an oceanic tempo, and indifferent was the swaying costal breeze; yet she was the only lone, human existence frozen in a standing posture. He hadn't come yet; she could not decipher why, and as if creeping a feverish temperature set her delicately fragile body on flames. The "nightly" fever had regained its scorching degree as if keeping up its routinely work, nevertheless with the rain bestowing a flaccid cool all over her silky skin, it created a soporific effect on the victim, but her "undying yet untold" love for him kept her awake. She was emaciated, but she begged to God to spare her the night; she was dying to tell him, he was bewilderingly yet to come!

The rain showed no signs of yeiding. He didn't care. People passing by thought he had gone mad. He looked at them and smiled backed up. He brushed his hair back. She always liked it that way. He saw a shop with purple painted walls. She loved purple. He had always hated it before. But he suddenly started to take a liking in purple. He decided he would paint in his walls purple. But then he realixed he had made a mistake. He would paint THEIR walls purple.

Lying spread-eagled among fine, cozy grains of sand, her fingers fondled the edges of an exquisite shell –the rain soothingly trickling down her visage- when far away, she caught a glimpse of an ocean-deep blue fabric and a bunch of red "something". Could it be that he was coming?"Huh! I better not daydream like some loser...!" she mocked at her sub-conscious ,dreamy state ;knowing life played cosmic jokes best on her. Being the ill-fated she was, he would never come.

The rain was slowly subsiding. He could see small rays of sunlight amidst the clouds. All around, a strange aura of purity could be felt. A serene and calming breeze blew across his hair. An angellic rainbow filtered up in the horizen. Even among the brick walls of the metropolis, the rainbow could be seen. Suddenly, he felt a marauding sense of emptiness inside. He just joked it off. he always hated pessimissim. He saw a florist re-opning his shop after the rain. He decided to buy some flowers.

She longed to lie forever, awaiting his presence in silent tears, yet on he brink of macabre, rain had sang her to a "Final Sleep" for her fate, she thought, read:

"In seclusion, empty-handed, you would die

Angels should look away, yet over your corpse, Cry!

He would not , nor could our death make him sigh!"

He arrived just at corner of the beach. He wanted to take a moment. he felt he had been ungrateful. he felt should thank the Almighty for giving her to him. For bestowing his life with eternal happiness. He went down on his knees. he put the flowers he had bought for her down infront if him. he stretched his hand across and just let the twilight kiss his face. He sat down constanty thinking waht a lucky man he was to have found her. He remembered the first day they had met. When he had first asked her name. When they first spoke on the phone. When they had promised to never part. He saw her from far away. He could not deduce what she was doing on the ground like that.................................

"Even when the sun may set in the meadows

You make my life filled with rainbows,

With every moment you're here

You pull me ever near

You are the meaning of life

With you, I forgot all my strife

I feel new, I feel as if in bliss

Every time we touch, every time we kiss" ?

A romantic attempt. Written in collaboration with my buddy Bushra. She wrote the female part and I wrote the male part. The first poem was by her. The closing one by me.

Gracias` mi amigos! :D Wow! I just love this....and maybe i can try postin the "When Cupid goes blind" too :P