I'm Sorry | Teen Ink

I'm Sorry

By EmmyB GOLD, Morgantown, West Virginia
EmmyB GOLD, Morgantown, West Virginia

"Raindrops taste like tears without the pain." -Queensryche

When I entered the room and heard the spears thumped across the doorway after me, my heart grew cold with fear. I felt the blood drain from my face as I spun to look at Alexander through the crossed spear shafts. I calmed my expression a little and when his look asked if I was ok, I lied, nodding my head, knowing that he knew that I wasn't. Turning to face the Queen, I steeled myself, waiting for the blade thrust in between my shoulderblades. But it didn't come. The Queen motioned me over and I braced for the worst. My heart pounding I stood there looking at the disapproving face the stared right back at me. "Ah Countess Aislinn. You have deigned to answer when summoned, yes?" the Queen hissed and I felt my heart drop in my chest as I curtsied to her. Suddenly the Queen's face grew sinister and more cruel than usual. Then she spoke. "I have summoned you here to inform you that your bodyguard's services are no longer warranted. He will be sent to my favorite, Catiana starting at the end of the festivities tomorrow. It is my wish and my command. You have no choice in this matter." Tears stung my eyes and so I nodded a little too quickly and curtsied once more. I could see my face in the mirror behind the Queen and I could see the tears sparkling in my eyes and how pale I had gotten. And I turned and left. Once the doors opened I burst into sobs, my heart aching and my head pounding. As soon as I saw Alexander I ran. I couldn't seem to keep it together, not now. He had been my only friend and now he was being taken from me. I found myself sloing in the night streaked gardens, rain pouring down and yet I can't seem to feel the constant droplets on my skin. I am so cold. I stand there surrounded by soaked rose trellises and the steamy fog that rose from the warm ground. I am alone once again. Just like when my parents left me. All alone......
A man approached me from the shadows of the garden, his expression slightly concerned and I tried to turn away. But he stole me hand in his, kissing it as a commoner would one of royalty. And that hurt my already bleeding soul. I didn't want to be treated like I was better than everyone else. "Is there anything I can do?" he asked and I felt myself freeze. Someone was actually asking if they could help me...... No one ever asked me if I wanted help. No one but Alexander but that was his job. I always helped everyone else though. "No. No, I don't think there is. There's nothing anyone can do for me now. My little piece of heaven has turned dark and I don't know what to do," I said, trying not to let the man see my frozen face. It was already too late for him not to feel how frozen my skin was. "I guess I'm trying to say that my heart aches and there's nothing that can be done to heal it." More tears ran down my face, blending with the icy rain. And then I heard Alexander running up the long cooridor behind me, following me, leaving me to sigh. A sharp pain erupted in my chest at the thought of having to tell him that I'd probably never see him again. Catianna lives on the other side of Venice near the northern border. And she rarely ever comes to court functions. Besides without a bodyguard, the Queen would be free to do away with me and that would make the loss permenant for both of us. I didn't want to think about how theharsh rain had ruined my hair and washed away all my makeup. I didn't want to think about how horrible I must look right now. But I couldn't seem to help it. I tensed before his hand fell on my shoulder, and I pulled my hand free from the man and took a step forward so that I was out of both of their grasps. If he comforted me I'd collaspe even further, knowing that I wouldn't have that at the end of the next eve. And all I couldonly speak to him by whispering, a select soft, pained words. "I'm sorry."