Day and Night | Teen Ink

Day and Night

By puddlejumper SILVER, Averill Park, New York
puddlejumper SILVER, Averill Park, New York

“Hannah! Dean! Come check on Night!” yelled my father from the barn’s office.

Dean and I ran through the halls until we got to Night’s box stall. By the time we got there the foal’s head and front hooves were visible. Dean quietly entered the stall and stroked the mare’s head. He then moved around to the back of the horse and knelt down to see how she was progressing. I looked at my father and then looked back into the stall and saw the foal laying on the straw. Dean finished toweling off its head and then came to stand next to us.

“It’s a filly, he whispered in my ear.” and smiled.

I smiled back and looked into the stall. I heard my father sigh when Dean told him and he walked to the office to give Dr. Baer the news.

“She’s beautiful.” I whispered

Dean walked into the stall and I slowly followed him.

“What are you going to name her?” he asked as he slowly stroked Night.

“Oh I don’t know yet. Can you tell what color she is yet? I think she’s still to wet to tell..”

“She looks like she’s going to be a grey. That’s really rare for Saddlebreds. Usually they’re chestnut, or bay. I’ve never seen a grey before.

“Neither have I, she’s beautiful though.”

“Just like you.” Dean said quietly.

“What?” I asked a little hesitantly, I wasn’t sure if I had heard him right.

“Just like you.” he said again, and smiled. So I smiled back and went to sit next to him. We leaned against the stall’s wall watching Night bond with her new foal. We watched the new filly try to stand up and then fall again and again. Finally Night stood up and helped nudge up her new foal. The filly finally stood to her feet and started nursing. I looked up at Dean and smiled. He smiled back and I shivered. He put his arm around me and we watched the horses together.

I was inspired to write this book after spending my whole life riding horses. I used to train Saddleseat my self but switched to hunter jumper. This book is a work in progress so anyone who would want a copy of this book, feel free to comment and i'll e-mail you it!