A New Beginning (Part 8) | Teen Ink

A New Beginning (Part 8)

By Smartblonde4898 GOLD, Marietta, Georgia
Smartblonde4898 GOLD, Marietta, Georgia

"Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one remembers to turn on the lights"

Chapter Eight

I sat there in his arms for what fealt like a few minutes. I was grateful that he hadnt let go.

When he let go I fealt my heart dropped to my stomach when he let go.

He looked down at me with a sad face. "Im sorry."

Why was he saying sorry to me? I was the one who was over-emotional about the whole thing.

"It wasnt even- I shouldnt have even been there," I said embarassed.

"Well it's fine," he said smiling down at me.

That was all I needed. His smile. I didnt know he had this affect on me. It just fealt right to be near him.

"Leslie?"

I looked up to see Jason staring at me with a worried look on his face.

"Yeah...what?..what?!"

A look of amusement crossed his face and he began to laugh.

"Nothing nothing maybe you should go home and get some rest, it will be good for you."

I hated that idea. What would I do at home? Hadn't I just come here to see him? If I wanted to rest I would have just stayed home.

I didnt want to express all of that to him. He had been too sweet to me today. "No," I said a little too quickly and then wished I could have that word back. "I mean I just...umm I'll just go sit and talk to Sam till you're ready to leave."

He sighed but smiled, "Okay if that's what you want." He started walking down the hall and turned into one of the rooms.

I turned walking back into Sam's room.

"Hey who are you?!" Sam asked in the same tone her had asked Jason and I earlier. I laughed to myself.

"Hey Sam! It's me Leslie. You met me earlier today."

"Oh.."

"So Sam how was your day?"

"Oh it was great, my wife came by today! In fact she brought me those flowers over there!" I huge smile spread across my face as I remembered Jason asking Sam the same thing.

"Wow those flowers are really beautiful!"

"Yeah they are from my garden back home." This made me sad..His garden back home, I knew was just a pile of weeds.

"Well I hope I can see it someday.." I said with a fake smile on my face.

Sam looked at me confused. "Is something bothering you young lady?" he asked me with caring eyes.

How would I answer this? I couldnt tell him that he was wrong about his garden.

But I knew exactly where to begin...

"Well when I came here. I was completely different then I am now and I...I give all the credit to this guy I met here when I got here. My relationship with my grandparents wouldnt be going this well...and I just dont even know why this guy has such an impact on me in the first place.."

"Hmm sounds like you've got a keeper," Sam said with a wink. He was right though.

"Yeah...," I said laughing to myself.

"Hey who are you?!" I heard Sam say in a worried voice. I turned around to see who had walked in but no one was there. It suddenly hit me. It had been ten minutes and his memory was starting over.

"Oh I'm- I'm Lesie but I'm going to go." I got up and left the room. I heard Sam say good bye to be as I left.

I started walking down the hall and I ran into Jason.

"Oh hey! I was just about to come get you! You ready to go? They said they dont need me anymore."

"Yeah that sounds great!" I said with a big smile growing on my face.

"You sound happy." Jason said looking down at me smiling.

"Well I just had a good talk with Sam."

Jason looked surprised. "What about?"

Crap. I should have just said nothing had happened. But there was no way that I was going to tell him.

We exited the nursing home and started walking in the direction of our houses.

"Uh nothing." I said with a smirk on my face.

"Ha! You really expect me to buy that?!" Sam's face lit up in a smile.

I tried to stay silent but gave up.

"Why don't you just go ask him yourself?"

Jason bust out laughing, and once I remembered what I had just said I started laughing as well.

When we made it to our houses, we were both still laughing.

"Hey...," Jason said out of breath.

"Yeah?"

"Window later? Say eight ish?"

My heart skip a beat. "I'd love to." I said with a huge smile.

My smile was returned. "Okay talk to you later then."

"See you."

I walked into my house and turned to see my grandpa turning from the window. He had been looking at us.

For a second I was angry but then my granddad smiled at me, walked over and hugged me.

"Its good to see you happy again. I'm glad to have you back." My granddad said in my ear.

My eyes teared up but they were happy tears. "I never left." I said smiling through my tears.

"I know but its good to have the old Leslie back, I've missed her. And I can tell you one thing, this boy you've found here.. dont loose him. He's what you need."

I knew that. He was completely right. Jason was the guy that had changed my perspective on the world, he had brought back the old Leslie. I loved him for that and there was no way that I was going to let him go easily.