The Light | Teen Ink

The Light

By WeAreOne GOLD, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
WeAreOne GOLD, Oshkosh, Wisconsin

"Stop existing, and start living," - Michael Jackson

It had been raining for about an hour. The two of them remained silent, sleeping in peace. Her head was pushed to his chest as his slow breathing moved her fragile head up and down. It was dark, of course, being night. If either of them were to open their eyes, the wouldn't be able to see. The soft sound of the rain continued, as did the sleep of the two.

As the sun began to rise, so did the male sleeping gently underneath the females head. He opened his eyes to see a soft light right in front of him. He thought the light was beautiful, so he got up and starting walking toward it. He continued to walk for miles and miles, but could never seem to find the source of the light.

Suddenly, he felt a tight squeeze around his waist that lasted quite a while. Directly after the squeeze, he felt a smooth, cold hand grasp his own, but when he turned to see who it was, all he could see was the light.

"Come back with me," he heard. The voice was so soft, gentle, sweet. Although he couldn't resist the light, nothing could've made him resist that voice, the voice of an angel.

He quickly awoke lying in his bed, the female still sleeping beside him, but her head had been removed from his chest, and her hand was tightened around his. He squinted to see a tiny tear that was slowly running down her cheek. He then kissed the top of her forehead, and again fell asleep, only to see the irresistible light once again. However, this time there was no voice. Only the angelic whimpers of the voice. So this time, he continued to follow the light, and made it to the end.

This was inspired by a dream I had, of a boy dying next to the one he loved, so I sort of turned it into my own short story.