Long Distance | Teen Ink

Long Distance

As the tears streamed down my face, I thought to my self. Was he right? Is all of what he said true? I thought about that for another moment. Yes, he had to be right. There was no other explanation for all of what was happening. Why did this all have to happen now? Why to us? Even though we were over 2,000 miles away from each other, I had never given up hope that we could make this work. And to this day, I still haven’t. I know, one day, when we reunite again, it will be the greatest day of our lives. After all, we were in love, and love is love, no matter how far away you are from one another.

As I sat on the bed, the tears still overflowing out of me, I thought, and thought, and thought some more. Even though I loved him, being so far apart from him was starting to eat me away. I couldn’t handle it for much longer, and I had been buried in so much stress that I could not take it any longer. I didn’t know what to do, and, when I finally decided, I told him. I told him that I just needed to think, for awhile, and that maybe we needed a little time apart. All of my friends were there for me, supporting me, comforting me, anything that they could do to help ease the pain. But I knew only one thing would help, and that was to be able to see him. I knew it was the answer, but how? I knew my parents would never let me go across the country, on a plane, by myself, and even if they did, I was still too young to go by myself. And I couldn’t expect him to come to me, even though it would be easier, if we did decide to see each other. And I knew I couldn’t wait until he got out of high school, which would be in another 4 years. And for me, another 5 years…it was just too long. Even though I loved him more than anything else in the world, I was only human, and I couldn’t wait that long to be with him. But sometimes, I get this feeling inside me, and it’s telling me that we are going to be together very soon…I don’t know what to make of it. Is it true? I hoped with all my heart it was, and maybe, just maybe, my dream will come true. Then, my phone buzzed, and the message I received made me cry even harder than I have ever cried before.

He told me how much he loved me. He told me that he realized that if we did break up, it would be the biggest mistake ever, all on his behalf, and that I’m the only girl that gets him, and what kind of girl would? I cried so hard. He was so sweet, so caring, so loving, that I remembered why I was with him in the first place. I was so speechless, so stunned, so dazzled. I knew that it was the truth too, that he was speaking the truth of how he felt about me, and it was the same way I felt about him. We loved each other, and that would never change, never in a million years.