A Woman Scorned | Teen Ink

A Woman Scorned

October 14, 2010
By BarefootInTheWoods SILVER, New Salisbury, Indiana
BarefootInTheWoods SILVER, New Salisbury, Indiana
5 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Demon Pox!" ~Will Herondale


Summer. I missed summer more than anything. I longed for the wildflowers and sudden storms. I missed the Georgia summers, but even more that that, I missed Jake .I’d lived in Alaska for one year, three months, two days, nine hours, and seven minutes. Now, two days after I’d turned 18, I was going home.

“Are you sure you want to do this?” my momma asked.

“I’ve never been surer of anything in my life.” I told her, throwing more clothes in my bag.

I was only taking what I needed. Everything else would be shipped to me later, if I needed it. I was going to surprise Jake for his birthday. My plane would land in Savannah, then I’d drive to Darien, and, finally, I would take the ferry to Saint Simons Island.

“Who are you going to stay with?” Momma asked, completely derailing my train of thought.

“Amy.” I answered.

“I’m going to miss you, Eve.” She said, still trying to get me to stay.

“I’ll miss you to, momma; but I have to get out of this godforsaken ice pit.” I told her.

“Well, if we don’t leave soon, you’ll miss your flight.” she said, picking up one of my bags.

One silent car ride and eleven hours later, I stepped out of Savannah International Airport. I breathed in, the thick air feeling amazing to my lungs. I rented a truck; and drove for a few hours, singing along with the radio. I reached the ferry at 9:30, paid the twenty bucks for a ride to Saint Simons, and called Amy.

“Hello?” I heard Amy say.

“Hey, Amy. You got room for your best friend? Just for a couple of days, of course.” I asked.

“Eve? Umm… yeah, I got room. But why are you down here?” she asked.

“I’m going to surprise Jake for his birthday.” I told her.

“Jake didn’t tell you?” She questioned.

“Tell me what?” I asked.

“Jake’s in Vegas, getting married. He knocked up Peggy Ann, and his parents are makin’ him marry her.” She told me.

“Are you serious?” I asked, stunned.

“Yeah, he said he told you. I’m sorry, Eve.” She said, hanging up.

The ferry stopped, and I drove off. I headed right for Amy’s. I arrived at 11:30, pulling my truck around back. Amy ran outside.

“I’m so happy to see you!” She yelled.

Hey, Amy. When’s Jake supposed to be home?” I asked.

“Tomorrow at noon. What are you going to do?” She questioned.

“Meet him at his house. When he gets home, I’ll be sitting in his recliner.” I answered.

“Cool. How do you think he’ll react?” She inquired.

“I don’t know, or care. But I’ve been driving for a long time, so lets to bed.” I asked.

At 11:45 the next day, Amy dropped me off in front of Jake’s house. I walked up the sidewalk, and used my key to unlock the front door. I quietly slipped into the cool, dark house, and put my plan in action.

I pulled Jake’s recliner into the hallway, about ten feet from the door. I sat down, and waited. Amy texted me, telling me that Jake had just passed her house. Ten minutes later, the doorknob started to turn.

“Hello, Jake” I said, when he walked in.

“Eve? Why are you here?” he asked.

“Well, I was going to surprise you for your birthday, but Amy told me you knocked up Peggy Ann.” I answered.

“What are you going to do?” he questioned.

I pulled myself out of the chair. He looked frightened as I walked toward him. I stood in front of him. My hand came up fast, stopping less than an inch away from his face. He flinched; jumping back and peeing his pants at the same time. I laughed meanly.

“Remember Jake, God hath no wrath like that of a woman scorned.”