Jack's Story | Teen Ink

Jack's Story

By Solivia BRONZE, Mooresville, North Carolina
Solivia BRONZE, Mooresville, North Carolina

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." -Albus Dumbledore

The year was 1930. Early in the morning, fog rolled into the city, making it seem as though it was in a permanent melancholy state. For some, such as Jack, it was.

Jack suddenly sat straight up in his bed, feeling panicked and dizzy. He had had another nightmare, always the same one. He walked over to the window of his third story apartment and looked out at the fog. The gloom of the city only added to his sense of loneliness. He got dressed in a daze, putting his shoes on the wrong feet, only noticing when he was halfway down the hallway. As he switched his shoes, he thought of her. He was always thinking of her, whether it was of losing her or what she had done to him.

Jack walked down the street, not noticing the dirty looks people were giving him as he bumped into them. He barely felt the cold breeze blowing through the city, even though he should have been freezing without a jacket. An old man swore as Jack ran right into him, and proceeded to knock him to the ground with his wooden cane. Jack landed hard on his knees. He cringed as he examined the blood on the sidewalk, and flinched when he looked up at the little cafe across the street from him. That was where he had met her, where they had eaten breakfast together, and where his carefree happiness had begun to come to a close. He couldn't help but stare at the crowded cafe in awe, amazed at how those two eggs had changed his whole life.

Jack laughed as he got up. All of those people around him were going about their day, contemplating their seemingly huge problems, which were, in fact, quite trivial compared to the obstacles of some. He looked at the men in their hats, the women hurrying through the streets completing their errands, and the children playing in the fountain, so innocent and carefree, as he had been before he met her and before he had lost her. No, he had not lost her. She had left him. He had to stop thinking like that. He had to stop blaming himself. But how could he possibly blame her? She was perfect in every way. No, no, no! She wasn't perfect at all, she had abandoned him, just when he least expected it, leaving only a note. Jack knew he had to move on. He just had to figure out how.

Suddenly, he knew. He got up and began walking briskly towards his destination. He gathered speed until he was practically sprinting through the streets, totally unaware of the stares he was attracting from the people he was passing. All he could think about was moving on. He finally had some hope of letting go and living again.

When Jack finally arrived, he was exhausted. He walked into the building, moving slowly, not knowing if he should proceed. He knew he had to, for the sake of his sanity, but he was terrified of what he might feel. As he opened the door, he considered running. Jack wanted to leave, to get as far away from this all-too-familiar place as possible. But at the same time, he knew he needed closure.

He walked into the old jewelry store and pulled out the ring in his pocket, the ring that had been there since she had left. It was a constant reminder of what almost was, and what would never be.

Jack finally slowed down long enough to take in his surroundings. He was shocked to see what had become of the elegant jewelry store. The windows were cracked and a layer of dust coated everything. There was nothing of value left in the store, it was all gone.

Jack simply stood there thinking for a while, contemplating his next move. After several minutes of thinking, he finally made up his mind.

Jack walked over to the jewelry counter and pulled the ring out of his pocket. Without looking at it, he placed it on the counter, turned, and left. He knew she wasn't coming back, and it was time for him to move forward.

It suddenly hit Jack how young he was; he had a whole life ahead of him, what was he doing wallowing in self pity? It was time for him to live.

When he left the jewelry store, he left her behind. He walked home with a smile on his face.

“Good bye, Lucy,” he said to himself.

Another creative writing assignment. The assignment was to bring in song lyrics. When we brought them in, we were told that we were to write a song based on the lyrics. I chose my favorite song, Remembering Sunday by All Time Low featuring Juliet Simms.

Solivia BRONZE said...
on Oct. 21 2010 at 3:16 pm

thank you very much!

on Oct. 21 2010 at 3:08 pm
EccePuellaScriptis112, Raleigh, North Carolina

"Love - it is not the book itself, but the binding. It can rip us apart or hold us together.”
-Deb Caletti

This is amazing!