Silent Vows

The rain is pounding on the tent's delicate white plastic covering. Beneath the water and hail sliding and punching and melting he stands with a nervous slouch and an expression of utter uncertainty somewhere in the rough tanned lines of his skin. He tugs at the navy blue tie around his neck, uncomfortable. He tries to conceal the shivers that wrack his frozen shoulders.
The music starts, corny and beautiful and traditional all at once. He straightens up and swallows the bile in his sore throat. Just as the organ reaches a defining chord he sees her and his uncertainty dissolves into the air and the rain as if it never was. His heart is melting like ice in a puddle of fresh rainwater, like chocolate in a child's warm fist, like the frozen dead grass of winter beginning to thaw in spring.
The wrinkles in the corners of her stunning topaz eyes are creases of joy. He breaks into a slight smile, a smile for her, to shelter and protect her. Only she knows, but he is making a wordless promise. His smile is not a smile - it is a vow to love her forever.
To love her for the immutable awe she feels when she is in nature experiencing its wonders. To love her for the whimper of pain that escapes her lips when she witnesses something, anything, being destroyed. To love her for the light that shines in her eyes when she is holding his hand.

passion.fable14 said...
Wow that was fantastic!!!! IT'S SO AWESOME!!!! Really, that was the best. :)

starxoxo23 replied...
thanks so much!!! im glad you liked it (:

passion.fable14 replied...
:) Love your style of writing it's brilliant!