What is Love? | Teen Ink

What is Love?

September 12, 2010
By Confused_scheherazade ELITE, Brooklyn, New York, New York
Confused_scheherazade ELITE, Brooklyn, New York, New York
132 articles 0 photos 24 comments

Favorite Quote:
I know nothing, but of miracles.


What is love? That is the question asked by several books, movies, and practically every woman in the world. There are many adjectives to describe it: easy, hard, passionate, understanding, sexual, and thousands more, but not one word can really capture the concept of love. Is love a concept or idea? Is it a feeling or something that just is? Or is love an illusion that can steal a person’s sense of reality? Some women and many cultures believe that marriage can be substituted for love or that a woman is incomplete if she is not married by a certain age. Some ancient cultures (and some secret societies today) believed in hieros gamos, or sacred marriage, that a person can truly “see” GOD through intercourse with the other gender. I know, getting to GOD through sex, shocking. No offense to those who might be offended by this, but hieros gamos was believed to be a passageway to the divine because when the man and woman were joined together as one being they achieved complete balance and only then could they become closer to the heavenly. Many consider love to be a pure and wonderful journey, but many also consider it Hell. There is a concept where in deep mediation a person goes up seven levels, or seven places in the universe, before reaching the beauty and love that is in Heaven. Heaven is love. But there is another mediation that can also go the other way as most things in life. This mediation takes a person down seven levels to Hell. To a master who has practiced both forms of mediation they may say that Hell is the same as Heaven. The only difference is how you get there. Heaven, you go up, through seven happy places. Hell, you go down, through seven sad places. Masters recommend beginners to spend their life traveling up through happy places, since Heaven and Hell-the destinations-are the same thing anyway. Maybe no one or no theory that can really explain love, but I believe that this concept means that love is a destination where there is something true and beautiful. The journey may be long, exhausting, and painful, but when you complete this journey you can have Heaven, or Hell if you prefer, a destination that will also be a journey that I hear will be sometimes difficult and exhausting. But when you reach this destination, love and treasure it may all that’s its worth and all that it becomes.


The author's comments:
I hope this article will help other people who have not fallen in love yet understand, including me. I gathered my information from friends, family, movies, and books. Especially the books: Siddhartha by Herman Hesse, The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, and Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. All books I highly recommend