An Unexpected Love | Teen Ink

An Unexpected Love

September 7, 2010
By Anonymous

“He’s an idiot,” I replied, “his foreign policy is horrible at best.”

“The Democrat is not an idiot,” someone replied. “the Republican is.”

That, right there, is a typical conversation between myself and others.

I like to talk about politics and anything to with business. That would be normal for an adult, except I’m a senior in high school.

My name is Andrew. I don’t play sports and I’m definitely not “popular.” Along with that, I’d say I’m pretty smart—smarter than most high school students. I turn in my homework, get my work done early, all of the “nerdy” stuff. As the stereotype provides, I do not have a girlfriend right now. I’ve had one, but that is another story.
For the past couple of years, I have felt that I needed a friend—closer than a best friend—a girlfriend. Some people want a girlfriend just to say they have one. With me, I say that is not the case. I need someone who wants to be around me. Someone who likes me for who I am, even if that involves me not being the one that everyone loves to hang out with. For a while, I thought that would never happen, at least not in high school. But, last year, I found that—in the person I least suspected.
She had been in my classes since kindergarten. We were both really intelligent, but she always seemed to have more friends, to have a stronger social life. We were friends, not best friends, but we talked some and occasionally did homework together. But we weren’t close.
I was in math one day, and we were doing an assignment. She kept asking me for help. More than normal. Sure, in the past she would occasionally ask me about a problem or two, but that day in class she kept talking to me. I liked it, but I kept telling myself that it didn’t mean anything. But, as it turns out, it did.
Small things kept happening, and I noticed them, a lot. Maybe she would to sit next to me at lunch, or make conversation with me, or she would volunteer to be my partner on a project. I liked it—a lot.
All of this was happening over two or three weeks, and before I knew it, it was October and time for homecoming. I wanted to ask her to homecoming really badly, but I just could not do it. We had built up so much of a friendship, I just couldn’t bear to think of risking destroying it all by asking her to the dance.
The dance came and I did hang out with her at the dance, we even danced together to quite a few songs. I enjoyed it, but I still wanted to be more than friends.
We kept moving along, as friends, until January came around with the winter Formal. I was definitely going to ask to the dance, I had to do it. And I did.
We just had gotten out of a class and we were at our lockers and we started going to our next class. And she started talking about the Winter Formal, She was saying how she was excited and everything, but she wasn’t going with anyone. And then, I just blurted it out.
“Would you go with me?” Her face lit up.
“Yes, I would love to.”
I was ecstatic. We had the same class next period, and we both were smiling. And we sat next to each other. I felt great, and I have a feeling she did to.
I asked her to the Winter Formal on Tuesday and the dance was Saturday, and before I knew it, it was Saturday afternoon. She called me. I wasn’t expecting it, but she did. My sister answered the phone and said, “Andrew, it’s your date.”
“Hello?” I said into the phone.
“Hey Andrew.” She replied back. It felt so strange to be talking to her on the phone. “How’s it going?”
“I’m doing great. I’m looking forward to tonight.”
“So am I! I think it’s going to a lot of fun.”
“Yeah.”
“So I just wanted to call you and say thanks for asking to the Winter Formal. You’re a really great guy and I’m glad I’m going with you.”
“I’m really excited to go with you, too.”
“Well, I’ll see you tonight. Bye.”
“Bye.” I hung up the phone.
Everything was going better than I though it would. I was excited for tonight.
And as quick as Saturday afternoon came by, Saturday night came by. I was in my suit and walked out and got in my car. I couldn’t believe I was about to go pick her up for the Winter Formal. I had known her since kindergarten, and I never once thought that we would ever be on the verge of dating.
I pulled into the driveway of her house and got out of my car and knocked on her door. The door opened to a lovely young lady with a beautiful dress on.
“Are you ready?” I asked her.
“Yes.” She replied and I opened the passenger’s door on my car for her.
We started to head for the dance.
Once there, everything just got even better. We danced to every slow song. I enjoyed every moment of the dance. And, before I knew it, the dance was over. We got in the car to head back home.
We drove back home, talking about the dance and how great it was. We pulled into her driveway. I got out of the car and went around and opened her door. We walked up to her porch.
“Tonight was great. But, before you go, I need to ask you something.” I said.
“Ok.” She replied.
“Would you be my girlfriend?” I asked.
“Yes.”
We stood on the porch, embraced and kissed.
I had found my love in the person I least expected.