Beauitful Ashes This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

I breathed in a little bit of the salty air. I looked around, at the faces, some of which I have never seen before today. Some crying, some closing their eyes. These strangers came up to me, and with their deepest sympathy, apologize to me, apologize to me as if I have known them for years. I took one last deep breath and with a few slow nods of the head from a couple people, I turned around and headed for the water. I could feel the warmth in the sand disappearing along with the night, as the sun was vanishing behind the infinite ocean. The palm trees seemed to sway with a little more respect today. I clenched the lilac decorated vase close to me, for inside held my most prized possession. Inside, was the most irreplaceable mechanism to ever walk beside me, hold my hand, and love me. I unscrewed the top of the vase, and tipped it slightly. She was gone. But the life she once lived was full of love and laughter. Although the people gathered today were here, feeling sorry for me, it was in fact I who pitied them, for they had not known her like I did, and nor will they ever get the chance. I watched as the most beautiful ashes I have ever seen, were being carried by the wind and dispersed across the sea. And as I looked up in relief and almost, a sense of freedom. Then, as if she had never left, I could see her warm smile.

miniko said...
this is so amazing i can picture everything going on here....

BubblyBurlee said...
This is extremely beautiful. You should write more on it(: That would be pretty cool.

Roisin This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank You so much! I am actually working on writing and making this into a longer story. It is actually a lot harder than i thought. But as soon as i feel satisfied i will definitely publish the rest! Until then, thank you for commenting <3