Closure | Teen Ink

Closure

September 3, 2010
By Anonymous

I’m not the most popular guy in school, to say the least. I get straight-A’s and always try to do what’s best for my future. As most stereotypes provide, I haven’t had that big of a love life. Number of “real” girlfriends I’ve had: 2. My current girlfriend is, in my opinion, the best in the world. Our relationship is built on trust and honesty. I can’t say that about my first “real” relationship.

Let me tell you about my first girlfriend: She was a girl who I had gone to school with for three or four years. I didn’t really know her. We had some classes together, but we never really interacted, that is, before my freshman year of high school.

It all was very sudden. One day, she started to talking to me via instant message. At first, I politely replied back. I really didn’t care what she had to say. But then, I was intrigued by what she was talking about. She seemed like such a nice girl. She seemed like a girl I wanted to date.

But, I wasn’t too quick to ask her out. Although I say I’ve only ever had two girlfriends, that doesn’t mean I’ve only asked someone out twice. I have tried multiple times and failed. Once I realized I liked her, the first thought that popped into my head was if she would ever go out with me. But the more I talked to her and the more I got to know her, I thought I just might have a chance.

We talked more and more, and, before I knew it, I had practically asked her out, and she said yes. I thought it was perfect. I had just asked out this great girl and she said yes. I was new to the feeling of acceptance.

We had a great relationship. We hung out, I met her at her locker and walked her to her bus, as far as I knew, she was happy.

But, over summer break, things took a turn for the worse. I was traveling for five weeks, and for 3 of those weeks, I didn’t have Internet. That meant no instant messages or e-mails to the other half of my picture-perfect relationship.

Then, during one of the very times I instant messaged with her throughout the trip, she brought up how I “didn’t understand her.” Sure, maybe her parents were divorced and her dad had married someone who was fifteen years younger than him, but I thought I had a handle on things. I did to an extent, but I wasn’t getting the rest of the story.

Now at this point of my story, I apologize if it sounds like I’m venting, because I’m not intending to. She just threw out the misunderstood card because she had already met another guy. During the instant messaging conversation, I insisted we wait and talk about it in person once I get back home, but no, she wanted to do it right then and there. And just like that, I had to change my Facebook relationship status from “In a Relationship” to “Single.” She wanted to end our relationship before I got back so she wouldn’t have to worry about me seeing her with her new boyfriend.

Now, I come to the reason I’m writing this. To the girl who I had relationship trouble with, if by some chance you read this, I want you to hear this: We have hated each other for the past year. It seemed like it was just understood that that was going to happen. But now, I say to you, I’m done with the hatred. What’s the point? Your words no longer hurt me. Your actions, your turning your back on me, doesn’t not cut a hole in my heart like it used to. This is closure for me, and I hope for you too. I say to you, have a nice life, thanks for the memories and you’ve made a great choice in your current boyfriend, regardless of how the relationship started.