Untitled | Teen Ink

Untitled

August 11, 2010
By Anonymous

It's the year 2015, and it's Eva's final year of high school. She just moved to California
from Colorado to live with her mother and step-father. Her and her father were not getting along very well and thought it best to move in with her mother and step-father for her final year. She doesn't really know if she likes the idea of going to a different school and making new friends, but she has hope. Eva is very athletic and very outgoing. She enjoys working with animals and she loves to play volleyball. At her old school, she was top of her team and always lead to victories. She is about to turn 18 finally in about 3 months and she is excited about it. Eva is ready to get out of high school and start her college life. Runnington State College in Texas has always been where she has wanted to go for a long time. Marine biology has been a passion for Eva since she was little and saw how endangered and how mistreated some of the animals are. She has always loved animals. When she was younger, Eva had owned a dog named Collie. She would take Collie everywhere and run around with her. Collie got sick one day and had to be taken to the vet. Eva was told that Collie 3had gotten cancer and that it was spreading quite rapidly. Eva had been really upset with this and didn't understand why she had gotten cancer. Collie was Eva's best friend and had always been there for Eva. Everyday Eva would spend time with her dog and take her everwhere where she thought that Collie would like. A few months later Collie had passed away when she was sleeping with Eva one night. Eva woke up the next morning and and saw that she had passed away right next to her. After this event, Eva has never been the same on her outlook on life.


It's now moving day and the day is already passing by so quickly. I'm ready to get to my mom's and stepdad's house and move in with them. Dad has been trying to get me to stay with him, but I just can't live in this kind of environment anymore, I have to move somewhere else. It was a tough decision to make, but I thought this would be better. I had always been close to my mom, anyways and my step-dad is a good person. He works with the government and owns a mansion-like house up in California. We live pretty close to the beach, but because of hurricanes and floods, he decided to get one a little further back from the house. My mom met him one day at a coffee store and accidentally bumped her coffee into him when she was leaving. He wasn't mad at her or anything and she helped him out as best she could. They eventually just sat down and just started talking. She told me that it was one of her most favorite memories. She always tells me about it, even though I've heard it more than I can recall. But still, it makes her happy so I still make it seem like I'm interested. When I actually arrive at my new house, I will still have a couple of days to look around and check out the city. By what my mom tells me, I think that I will really like it. She tells me there a mall just up the road and they have their own private land on the beach. They even told me that my step-dad owns a could of jet skis that I could use whenever I wanted to. My mom did let me know that she still wants me to focus on my schooling though and not stray away from it.

One the way up to my moms, my car is silent while I drive it. I turned the radio off just to think of what I was doing. Was this really the right step for me to take? I really hope that I fit in here at this place. I've never been to California before, but by what my mom tells me, it sounds pretty nice. The house seems like I'm really going to like it as well. I just don't want to end up making the wrong decision. I love my dad more than anything, just some of his actions has forced me to move. I know that he means well and that he really cares about me, which is why it was so hard for me to move on. I turn on the radio to see what is playing and to help me focus on driving. I still have another day and a half to get there. My mom knows one of the hotel owners up in Nevada that has allowed me to stay in one of the hotels for the night. She knew him through high school and college and told him about my situation. He was very understanding about it and allowed me to stay at the hotel for the night. When I arrived their, he immendently reconized me. I guess it's not hard to figure out that I'm my mom's child. We basically look like sisters, except for the age difference. My mom's friend who works at the hotel is named Bobby. He's a handsome man, maybe in his mid-thirties. My mom was really good friends with him and he will basically do anything he can to help her out. He's not trying to win her over or anything, but he has always been there for my mom and he is practically like a brother to her.
"How was your trip here?"
"It was a long ride, but it won't be much longer til I make it to my mom's house. I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like there."
"It's very nice there. Been there a couple of times with the wife and kids. There's a lot of people, so you will be able to make friends and meet new people real fast."
"I don't know if I'm ready to meet anyone right now. It's going to be my first time in Calfornia, I'll probably just roam around and check everything out before I try to be friends with anyone."
"I heard about your father. I'm sorry to hear about that. Hopefully, he can get the help he needs and will be better soon. I better have the men put these in your room."
Bobby lead me and one of the luggage guys to the room. I wasn't hoping for anything fancy or anything like that, just somewhere that I could pass out for the night so I can get some sleep for the rest of the trip tomorrow. When we finally arrived at the room, I was sorta surprised at how big the doors were. I was thinking maybe it's just a different type of doors, but once he opened them, I knew that I had gotten the top room there. When he opened the doors, it looked like I could have a full college campus stay there. The living room looked like something only you see in movies or on tv with the spoiled brats. There were three bathrooms, and four different bedrooms with one mega bedroom with a circular bed in the middle. The mega bedroom also had a huge flat screen tv on the wall, while the other four have the flat screen tv's sitting on a stand. The kitchen was bigger than I have ever seen before and looked like more than thirty people could fit in there at once. The mega's bedrooms bathroom was absolutely stunning. Above the toilet, the long walls that lead to the ceiling had a square window cut into it to where you could see the sun and clouds in the sky. The shower looked like you could fit two baseball teams in it. It had a stone seat in there as well. I was just drawn back at how far Bobby went with having me stay just one night. I turned to him, "Bobby, this is just way to much. I'm just staying one night and it's just me. I don't need this big room. You can just put me in one of the other smaller rooms. I'm perfectly fine with that."
"Oh no. It's okay. I know your mom would be very happy with you staying in this room. And besides, it's too late in the evening for anyone to want to rent this room anyways. We're running pretty slow today. Only around two hundred rooms rented out."
"Two hundred? Isn't that a lot?"
"Not if you have around three hundred and twenty rooms total. Just don't worry, everything will be fine. Now, do you want a wake up call or anything? 7am, so you can get onto the road as soon as possible?"
"Umm, yeah that sounds good. I'm going to be going to bed soon anyways. Thanks Bobby."
"It's no problem. I'll see you tomorrow. Have a good evening."
When Bobby turned around and shut the door, I looked around again. Everything was so fancy like. I've never been around something like this before. I guess I better get used to it. My mom and stepdad have inherited a lot of money and their place is going to be very similar, just a lot bigger. I went into the mega bedroom and layed down on the bed. It was deffinitly the most comfortable bed I have ever laid on before. I wish that we could afford something like this back in Colorado. Some of the nights would be so awful, I would just sit and toss and turn all night. This, though, seems like it would make me fall asleep in less than ten minutes. I will deffenitly be buying one of these as soon as possible.



Where am I? Why is it so dark in here?
"Hello, is anyone else there? Can anyone else hear me?"
"It's okay sweetheart, I'm here. Daddy's here. You have nothing to worry about, I'll protect you."
"What are you doing? Why are you carrying that with you?"
"Don't worry. You have nothing to worry about."
"Please don't. Please. Stop."

The author's comments:
This is my first story. I'm still writing it. It doesn't have a name yet, but I'm working on it. I'm an inspiring author.