Three Weeks ~ part 8 | Teen Ink

Three Weeks ~ part 8

By LuLu95 PLATINUM, Denver, Colorado
LuLu95 PLATINUM, Denver, Colorado

"Oooh! Dark matter, we better bring a flashlight!"

“I got your call, and I came right away. What’s wrong?” My friend Julia asked as she sat next to me on the floor of my bedroom.

“Oh god, Jules. It’s so bad.”

“C’mon, you can tell me, and I will be here for you, no matter what.” I looked up from my hands.

“I think that I’m…pregnant.” I managed.

“Oh my god, are you sure?”

“My period is 4 days late. I’m on the pill, Jules, my period is never late!”

“But, if you’re on the pill, then how are you pregnant?”

“The pill isn’t 100% effective. It’s not impossible.”

“But so unlikely! Have you taken a pregnancy test?”

“No, that’s kind of why I wanted you to come. I didn’t want to be alone when I took it.”

“I would do anything for you. No, go and do it, just get it done with.” I did what she said, and came out when I was done.

“Ok. Now we need to wait for 3 minutes.” Julia nodded and turned on the radio, like we could tune out what was sitting on the bathroom counter, waiting to determine my fate. When two songs were over, and we were sure that it had been 3 minute was walked slowly into the bathroom. “You look at it,” I said, “I can’t do it.”

“Lia, I can’t do this for you, I will be here holding your hand, but you have to look for yourself.”

“Ok.” I closed my eyes and reached out for the test blindly. “1…2…3…” I opened my eyes, and right in front of me on the small screen of the pregnancy test was a little red plus sign. My eyes immediately blurred over with tears, and I sank to the floor of the bathroom. My whole life seemed to be crashing down around me. Everything that I had planned for myself was going up in flames in front of my eyes. Then, I thought of Mike. What about him? What about his future, his goals?

I had to tell him. This was not something that I could keep to myself. Mike was probably sitting in his room, waiting for me to call, and I was sitting on the bathroom floor clutching a positive pregnancy test. Julia put her arm around my shoulders.

“If Mike loves you like he says that he does, then he will not leave you to go through this by yourself.”

“I know. But how am I going to tell him? This isn’t exactly something that should be said over the phone.”

“Ok… my sister can drive you halfway, if he can get halfway. Norah and I can do something while you talk and then we can take you home.”

“I don’t want Norah to know.”

“She doesn’t have to. She likes you, I’m sure she’d be happy to drive you to see your boyfriend that you dearly miss.”

“Thank you. I appreciate this so much. You are the best friend I could ask for. Would tomorrow work?”

“Sounds good. I have to go now, call Mike and tell him to meet you at Castle Rock outlets. We’ll pick you up at around 10,” she said as she headed out the door. When I heard the front door close I picked up my cell phone and dialed Mike’s number. He answered on the third ring.

“Hi. I was hoping you’d call tonight. I miss you so much, that I can’t even believe it. Just hearing your voice makes me feel better. What’s up with you?”

“I miss you too.”

“Is something wrong?”

“Well… I was wondering if I could meet you at the Castle Rock outlets at around 11 tomorrow?”

“Yeah, of course. Why?”

“I just have to talk to you. It’s important.” I said trying to sound vague.

“What is it?”

“I don’t want to talk about it over the phone. Can you come tomorrow?”
“Yes. I’ll be there.”
“Alright. See you tomorrow.”
“I love you,” he said. I was quiet for a few moments.
“I love you too,” I said quietly before hanging up.
<><><><><><><><><><>
The next morning I woke up in time to shower and dry my hair. I put on make-up and made it downstairs just as Julia and Norah pulled up in front of the house. “Bye Mom!” I called, “Be home later!” I yelled before opening the front door and entering the world of sunshine. My mood was nothing to match the weather. Every second that I watched the changing surrounding outside of the car window, I dreaded facing Mike more and more. When we pulled into the parking lot of the Castle Rock outlets, I sat quietly in the back for a moment after Norah got out of the car.
“It’s going to be alright, Lia,” said Julia, “Norah and I are going to lunch, just text me when you’re done. Ok?”
“Ok.” I said feebly. I After I stepped out of the car, I closed the door softly behind me. I crossed the parking lot and entered the door to the food court. It didn’t take me long to spot Mike sitting by himself at a two person table. He looked up and saw me too. In three long strides he closed the distance between us and hugged me tight.
“Come sit down,” he said taking my hand and leading me back to the table. “Alright, so what’s going on? Are you going to tell me what that call yesterday was about.”
“Yes. It’s just…hard to say.”
“…are you breaking up with me?” he asked.
“What? No, of course not!”
“Then what is it? You can tell me.”
“Mike…”
“Lia!”
“Mike, I’m pregnant.” I said closing my eyes. His eyes widened in surprise.
“What? How can you be pregnant? I thought you were on the pill!”
“I know! I was… I am. But I took the test, Mike. It was positive.”
“Oh my god.” He said rubbing his eyes.
“You’re telling me. What are we going to do?”
“I don’t know. Have you told your mom?”
“No. Just my friend Julia.”
“You told your friend?”
“Yes, I didn’t want to find out by myself! I didn’t know what else to do.”
“You could have told your mom.”
“I wanted to tell you first.”
“What about…abortion?”
“Mike…I can’t. I can’t do that” My eyes tearing up, and spilling over.
“I’m sorry. You’re right. I shouldn’t have even suggested that.”
“Mike, I’m so lost. I don’t know what to do, I don’t know what to say. How are we going to handle this?”
“Lia, I love you. This doesn’t change that. No matter what you choose, I will be here for you.”
“Do you really mean that?”
“Yes. Like is aid before, I love you. And how could I live with myself if I let you go through this by yourself, when it’s my fault too?”
“I love you too.”
“I think that you need to tell your Mom and Dad.”
“I know. I had to tell you first.”
“And I think that you need to tell her tonight. Sooner rather than later, right?”
“You’re right. I will.”
“Call me after ok?”
“Of course.”
“I should probably get going. My mom is walking around the outlets waiting for me.”
“Are you going to tell her?”
“I will, but not until I know that your mom knows.”
“Ok, thank you.”
“You’re welcome.” We stood up from the small table, and walked outside hand in hand. Mike’s mom was waiting on the sidewalk.
“Hi, Lia. We’ve sure missed you around the house. How are things at home?”
“Good,” I said smiling at her, then looking down.
“I’m ready to leave,” Mike said looking at Deb.
“Alright, sweet heart. It was good to see you Lia. I hope you have a good summer, if we don’t see you again.”
“You probably will,” I whispered quietly under my breath.

on Aug. 30 2010 at 11:03 am
writergirl13 GOLD, Cherry Hill, New Jersey

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

:'(  --   This is because i feel really bad for Lia and her problems.

:')  --  This is because I'm happy for Lia and that she has such a good firend and boyfriend.

theoryofperception BRONZE, Barrie, Other

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." - Henry David Thoreau

Wow! Great piece. I haven't read any of the other 'parts' of this series yet, but I will now. You've done well interpreting a way this real-life issue might be dealt with.

One thing I would suggest though, is to incorporate a bit more descriptions. You have a lot of dialog, which is a good thing, but it can get a bit repetitive without some descriptions. Emotions are important! What would Mike's eyes look like, what facial expression would he have, would he rub his hands across his face in shock when she breaks the news? 

Keep writing!

Sarah