Rising in Air, Falling in Love | Teen Ink

Rising in Air, Falling in Love

By MangoQT GOLD, Leawood, Kansas
MangoQT GOLD, Leawood, Kansas

No one is worth your tears, and the one who is wont make you cry.

The voice over the intercom announced to the passengers that they were allowed to use their electronic devices. Lexi immediately slipped her hand into her overnight bag and pulled out her new birthday gift, a Nintendo DS Lite. She made sure the volume was low before turning it on. She grabbed the stylus on the side and clicked on the option for Pictochat. It was for talking with others but Lexi used it to practice her drawing skills. She had been getting really good at portraits.

She was about to choose any random chat room when she noticed one of the rooms had one person in it. No way was the signal good enough to be reaching anyone on ground so it had to be another passenger. Lexi did a quick look around but didn't see anyone close by with a Nintendo.

She tapped the chat room and saw whoever was in it had been drawing, just as she was planning on doing. She scribbled in a 'hello?' and sent it. There was no response for a good minute until a 'Who is this?' appeared. A conversation sprouted between us.

XOlexiXO: Are you on this plane too?
~Garrett~: The one heading to Boston? Yea
XOlexiXO: Well then, hi there! I'm on too, seat 27A.
~Garrett~: I'm up here in first class. BRB

Lexi heard a cooing in her ear, "Oooh, who is Garrett?" Lexi looked behind to see her younger sister's chin resting on her shoulder and her sister's big eyes staring at her Nintendo DS Lite. "Miranda!"

Lexi shut her Nintendo and hid it in her jacket's pocket. "I'll be right back, I got to go to the bathroom." A lie but Lexi didn't care where her nosy sister thought she was. And her sister was too dumb to question why Lexi was heading to the front when the coach bathroom was in the back. The truth was Lexi was desperate to see what this mysterious Garrett looked like.

She shuffled through the aisle up to the red velvet curtain separating the first class and coach. After shooting a quick look behind her she pushed through. Trying to be as unnoticed as possible, she peeked over the seats to try to find someone holding a Nintendo and- Bingo!

The first word that unfortunately came to her mind is 'nerd'. His oily face was covered with unsightly bumps that were almost covered by his massive glasses. His hair was poking up in weird patches. And he was holding a Nintendo DS Lite, on Pictochat, with the username ~Garrett~.

She rushed back to her seat and sat down in a rush. Words were swarming her brain. "Don't judge a book by its cover." Lexi was a sweet girl, she doesn't usually judge people like this. Why is she doing it now? She should have never pictured him as some majestic good-looking teenager just to be disappointed. She heard a faint beep and realized Garrett messaged her back.

~Garrett~: Lexi? Do u wanna possibly meet each other after we land? How about by the coffee stand?

Lexi took a deep breath and hesitated for a moment but ended up saying yes. She wasn't sure how to react when she'd see him again. She can't just pretend to think he's hot. But she was taught to be nice to everyone and she was going to be. For the last 20 minutes of the ride she just closed her eyes and zoned out everything around her until the pilot announced they could leave.

Lexi grabbed her one bag and let others go before she did. Maybe he'd think she stood him up and leave before she got there. Then she couldn't feel so guilty, right? She bent down to tell Miranda to get the luggage because she had to go meet someone. Her sister was reluctant but obeyed. Finally everyone got off the plane and Lexi had to go and face him.

She saw him sitting on a stool at the stand and she walked up. "Hey Garrett, it's really nice to meet you but-" She started.

"What?" A squeaky voice sounded and she realized it was his. "I'm Tanner, that's Garrett." He said, pointing to an 'ooh-la-la' good-looking boy on his left.

"But I- I saw you! You were in first class, holding the Nintendo." Lexi stuttered.

The boy, or she guesses the real Garrett, started laughing. It took a few deep breaths for him to calm down. "Looks like you came up to see what I looked like when I tried seeing what you looked like. I got up once to go check on seat 27A and I gave Tanner my Nintendo to hold."

Lexi let out a deep exhale and smiled. "Then I guess we should formally meet each other now." She stuck out her hand and he took it.

"Nice to meet you."

on Aug. 16 2010 at 5:00 am
ilove2read124 GOLD, Dix Hills, New York
aww this is so cute!i love how the emotions are realistic haha and i love how you described the REAL garrett, by saying "ooh-la-la" haha i love this, its different ahha good job