Our Summer- Chapter 25- The Justice System

Every class was a joke. And I was the punch-line. Nobody hid their glares, nobody whispered their insults. I suppose I should be grateful; they were being totally honest if nothing else. Surprisingly; LuLu and I survived until Friday of that week without being lynched by our 8th grade class, but I could clearly see the toll it was taking on LuLu. Her once shining copper hair seemed dull and hung lifeless on her shoulders. While she kept a strong and reassuring smile on her face, I could see in her eyes that she wasn’t as sure that everything would work out as she claimed to be. I didn’t mean to hurt her; in fact that was the exact opposite of what I wanted. But she was my rock, she kept me on the ground, she kept me from sinking into the floor and becoming the nothing I was on the inside. On this beautiful Friday afternoon; we were walking together to our study hall while being pelted with paper and a few books. I watched as LuLu fended off paper being thrown at her from her side, and felt immediately guilty. We took the long way down the 6th grade hallway to escape the attack.
“You don’t have to, you know.” I said as soon as we were safe.
“Don’t have to do what?” LuLu asked as she threw some remaining papers off her books.
“You don’t have to stay friends with me.” I said stopping. “This isn’t your fight, and it’s not fair that you’re getting things thrown at you when it’s my-“
“Summer,” She put her arm around me, looking genuinely touched. “You’re my best friend, which means this IS my fight now too.” I smiled, and she returned it as we began walking down the hall. I was relieved that I didn’t have to go through this all alone, but I still felt guilty for getting LuLu involved.
From now on, I won’t show how much pain I’m in no matter what. I won’t be numb, not on the outside at least. I won’t be weak, I’ll be strong right alongside LuLu. I promised myself. Just as we rounded the corner to the door of our study hall; an army awaited just outside. They immediately began to throw everything they had at us, while LuLu and I fended them off as best as we could.
“W*****, CHEATER, LOSERS, LIARS, S****! YOU TWO ARE CHEAP!” They all chanted it from different directions. One of them knocked my bag down which I had been using to protect myself. WHAM! It didn’t feel real. It was like I had just watched a movie of a text book being thrown at me and causing me to fall into the lockers behind me. The next thing I heard, before I could even get up, was a sickening crunch followed by a scream of pain. LuLu had punched one of them right in the nose. I couldn’t really see his face because it was scrunched up in pain and he was doubled over, but I did see the blood gushing through is hand. A dark-haired boy kicked LuLu in the stomach, sending her backwards until her head hit the wall. I ran over to her, only to get kicked in the shins and twist my ankle. I landed onto the tile floor with an “UMPH!” that I barely felt.
“What is going on here?!”
Everyone was silent, as we saw Dr. Sicanico, the school principal, standing in front of us. In the chaos of the fight, I hadn’t noticed that teachers and students were all standing in the doors of their classrooms watching everything.
“LuLu Evens punched me in the nose!” The boy mumbled his hand still trying to cover the blood.
“I can see that. Teachers! Get your students back into class, I’ll handle this.” Dr. Sicanico ordered frostily. The teachers ushered the whispering crowds back into their study halls.
“Miss. Evens, you have detention. As do you, Mr. James, Mr. O’Reily, Mr. Fredrick, and Miss….? I’m sorry, I don’t know you.”
“Devito. Sylvia Devito. “ The tiny blonde girl mumbled.
I felt my stomach drop as I got up and looked behind me, Sylvia; one of my best friends had been the one to kick me in the shin. She didn’t meet my gaze, she just kept looking at Dr. Sicanico.
“But, Dr. Sicanico, LuLu was-“
“I’m perfectly clear on EXACTLY what Miss. Evens did, Miss. Johnson. I saw from when she threw the punch, to when Miss. Devito knocked you down. Now, unless you would like to join them in detention, I suggest you get to study hall.” Dr. Sicanico glared at me accusingly and I immediately shut up. Who was going to believe the class s*** anyway?
“Now, all of you to my office. Miss. Johnson, get to your study hall, and you young man, come with me to the nurse.”
Dr. Sicanico led away the bleeding boy, and Tom James, Cedric O’Reily, Jackson Fredrick, and Sylvia Devito began to walk down towards the Principal’s office. I stopped LuLu as she began to follow.
“Are you okay?” I asked noticing the bruise already forming on the left side of her forehead.
“Yeah, I just can’t believe I have detention! That jerk totally deserved it! Are you alright?”
I nodded. “Who did you punch?” I asked, since I had not gotten a clear look at the boy’s face.
“Rob.” She replied. She had punched her boyfriend of 2 years. My heart nearly bled for her as she began to walk down the hallway to the office. I sighed as I picked up my bag and walked into my study hall, not sure how this week could get any worse.
As I walked in, everyone immediately looked right at me; with disgust and hate written all over their faces. Even the teacher, Mrs. Shun, looked at me with distaste. The room was completely full except for 1 seat on the far right of the room. I quickly went to sit down, avoiding everyone’s accusing glares and sat down. I looked up to see who I was sitting next to, and met the beautiful blue eyes of Tony Devito.

xxjasmineibxx said...
Aug. 13, 2010 at 4:05 am
OH MY GOSH you just have to make part 26!! Hurry pleaseeee!!! It's 5:05 a.m. and I think I started reading at like 11 and I just can't stop D: Im definately a huge fan! Please tell me you're planning to write another story when your done with this? Well, I gotta get some sleep, I've been up since 9 a.m. yesterday.

xxjasmineibxx replied...
Aug. 13, 2010 at 4:05 am

4:05* sorry

Erudite replied...
Aug. 13, 2010 at 6:18 am
yeaahh i agreee!! please write more fast and soon!! im dying here!

Drama_Queen13 replied...
I'm glad you're both enjoying it! I'm so sorry I haven't written; but I was grounded for a couple of months and then I got my computer back but had some issues...I just submitted a few more chapters; hopefully they'll be up soon!

Erudite replied...
thanks alot, your story means alot because its so real and so magical :] i love it