Cross my Heart | Teen Ink

Cross my Heart

July 25, 2010
By Toria3339 SILVER, Newport Beach, California
Toria3339 SILVER, Newport Beach, California
9 articles 0 photos 13 comments

I crossed my heart and I hoped to die. I will always be thinking about you don’t worry. You don’t have to think about it. Just know. Because what else out there in the world is as good as it? Nothing. It is the only pure and undeniable thing that humans can share. It takes time. Yes. It takes effort. Yes. But what doesn’t? Nothing.

You left me standing there with a daisy in my hand. You said you liked the way I looked when I held a daisy. I don’t really know why.

I wore black one day, you said take it off because it wasn’t me. I thought it was an insult, but then I realized it really wasn’t. You said I reminded you of the air and the wind. And the tall grass as they rushed past it. I thought that was an insult as well. But then I looked and saw how beautiful it was and I realized it wasn’t an insult at all.

I don’t really understand how we do it. We as people are money driven animals with not a care in the world for anything else. So how do we do it? How do we? It doesn’t seem possible. But somehow it is.

You crawled through my window one light night and said I looked pretty in my long night gown. I said “thank you” shyly and went under the delicate flower covers of my bed to hide my innocence. You followed. You said I reminded you of a baby kangaroo. I didn’t know why though. Until I realized. I thought it was an insult, and I am still not sure if it was or was not.

You climbed on my covers, the soft red roses had never felt a boys touch, and kissed my cheek softly. You made sure I was in comfort and rested an arm around me as you fell asleep. The roses held a barrier between.

I heard the door creak open in the night and saw my mother glancing in. I opened my eyes for only a second and saw her smile. You said she reminded you of a gentle kiss. I always wished I had reminded you of that. But now I see it as well.

I crossed my heart and I hoped to die. Because you told me to. You told me to love you forever. And as people it is impossible to make a promise that lasts forever. But when it comes to this, it is so easy. It really is.

You said that I was like the sun. I knew it was not an insult, but I didn’t understand it at all. You could never revolve around me. Because I revolve around you. You hold my light. You hold the key to my darkness. You hold me. And when you do you say I fit perfectly. I say we are a perfect match. You nod your head to agree. I stop it with a kiss and a wonder in my eye.

You said I was like tea in the middle of the night. I asked you to explain. You said I was something that you crave.

You said I was the best thing in the world. I said how can that be? You said it just can.

You said I was like an unexpected phone call. I didn’t say anything.

You said I was like a warm cookie out of the oven. I didn’t say anything.

You said I was like the first time you ride a bicycle. I didn’t say anything.

You said I was like. But I didn’t let you finish. I said cant you ever just say that you love me.

And so you did. You said you would love me forever. You told me to love you forever too.

So I crossed my heart and I hoped to die. I would love you forever.

And I did.


The author's comments:
love is something that you cant compare. When you feel it you know. So promise. And you will. Because when in love, you never think twice.