More than friends | Teen Ink

More than friends

July 24, 2010
By StarCrossed2012 GOLD, New Port Richey, Florida
StarCrossed2012 GOLD, New Port Richey, Florida
11 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you can't handle someone at their worst, you don't deserve them at their best"


"Laurie! No! I have Steven; I won't do this to him! Just stop it!" Max stormed off silently crying. Her best friend had once again tried to convince her that she should let herself be shared. Max knew that Steven would never let her go with someone else and she didn't even want to, or did she?

If she was honest with herself then of course she did. She'd wanted Laurie and Luis since she'd met them almost. They were kind, and completely honest. She knew she could trust them both…but she was in love with Steven. He was everything to her and more. She literally couldn't imagine life without him. Even thinking about it brought her pain. However this thing with Laurie and Luis, it made her question everything.

There was no way that it would make her stray away from Steven, but what if what Laurie had said was right? Was it possible that Steven would let her?

When Max had first found out that Laurie and Luis were both interested in her she had brought the subject up to Steven. She at first had been insulted that Luis had even brought it up in the first place. Of course she would never date a girl let alone both of them at the same time she was with Steven! It was stupid even to think it up let alone voice it! And Steven had agreed.

As she walked away she fought a horrible internal battle. On the one hand she really wanted to see what it would be like to be with both Luis and Laurie. She knew that they would take care of her, that they wouldn't judge her.

Steven does the same thing! She thought fiercely, though she knew it wasn't quite the same thing. Steven was perfect for her, absolutely everything she could ever ask for. So why couldn't she be just happy with that? Why damn you? She thought.

She stopped at the corner turn of the strip mall she was in. Laurie had messaged her telling her to meet her here. I should have known it would've been bad she continued to think as she bent over, her hands on her knees struggling for breath as her silent tears became sobs of confusion and frustration.

Laurie caught up and hurried over pulling Max into a comforting embrace. Max was too messed up to reject her so she just leaned heavily, still crying as Laurie petted her hair and murmured soothing words into her ear.

"I'm sorry sweetie, I'm so sorry. Shh, it's okay. I'm sorry," Max looked up in blind sorrow and broke down further as she continued to look into Laurie's beautiful face. Thoughts of Steven kept coming up, screaming at her that what she wanted was wrong, was cheating, and was betrayal. But she ignored them as she leaned up and kissed the woman comforting her.

Laurie was surprised at first but responded with a soft, gentle kiss of her own. The two women sank to the floor kissing lightly while Max's crying tapered down to erratic breathing. Laurie slid her hand up her back to hold her lovingly while Max leaned in further, yearning for the soothing comfort of the woman beside her.

Max broke away from the kiss frightened. "No, no, I can't do this! I won't cheat. Please Laurie, I, we can't. No, I have to go,"

Max got up, and ran to her car, crying even harder than before. Shaking in fear and guilt she tears her phone out of her purse and trying to clear her vision enough to drive she calls Steven's cell. As she drives hastily down the road the phone rings for the third time and finally she is relieved to hear his voice answer sleepily on the other end.

"Yeah? Katie? Is everything okay?" Katie sighs in sadness as she reverts to her other name.

"Steven? Can I come over please? I really need to be with you. Please I can't be alone right now,"

"Of course! Come on, I'll unlock the door. Where are you? What's wrong? Are you hurt?"

"I'll be there in like two minutes, I'm pulling onto my street now, I'll be there soon. I love you. You know that right? I love you with everything I have. I always have, and I always, always will." She hangs up the phone before he can give his worried, confused response. She turned down his road and pulled up cutting the engine. It wasn't until she went to take her seatbelt off that she realized she didn't have it on. Opening the door she tripped over her own feet as she staggered to the front door still shaking in what was rapidly turning to fear. She'd kissed someone else. She had to tell him! She knew it. But how could she? Would she lose him? What if he left her for this? He had every right to. She'd betrayed him.


The author's comments:
I found myself wanting my best friend while I was with my now ex boyfriend, but at the time we were still together. I was wondering what might have happened if anything happened with me and my friend.....