A Secret No More This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

He drummed his fingernails against the corner of his undersized school desk. Three… two… one- exactly six and a half minutes until sixth period lets out- six and a half minutes until he delivered. It was a schedule he had followed since sophomore year, every other Wednesday just after sixth period, he delivered the note. Never anything that could give him away- he either typed it up and avoided the use of his hand writing, or cut his desired words from newspapers and magazines, ransom-note style.

The message was always the same- the words always different. On Valentines Day last year he had given a small bag of conversation hearts, a cheesy card, and a yellow rose. She liked yellow. Halloween two years ago it was a chocolate eyeball and a small card saying, “You are my treat- here’s one for you. No tricks.” He’d given red and green gummy bears just before Christmas, Irish truffles around St. Patrick’s Day. Today however, like most delivery days, a simple folded piece of loose leaf was all he intended- in now four minutes and sixteen seconds- to slip into her locker. He had decided to give a plain and simple note today, a wrinkled “You enchant me” was all that was uttered on the wide-ruled paper he clutched in his right hand.

One minute and forty-three seconds, also know as eternity, to go. One hundred and three seconds was officially his least favorite number… one hundred and two… One-oh-one…

He got a sort of kick out of it- he imagined so did she. He wondered how exactly it made her feel when she received his notes. Was it the one thing that gave her self-esteem? Or did she think of herself just as fondly as he thought of her? Almost every night, in the late evening hours, she was the sun, and his thoughts were the planets- endlessly revolving around her. He contemplated all possible routes out of the Friend Zone, always trying to navigate a sure-fire road to her heart. Constantly, he wondered if he was going too far. Were his little gifts and treats too bold? His notes too strongly worded? Most of all, were the newspaper and tabloid clippings creepy? Did she think she had a stalker? These things troubled him to no end. But he was one of her closest friends, if this were bothering her, she would tell him as a friend- right? He was one of her closest friends- right?
Who did she think dropped the notes, anyway- a jock, or a techie, perhaps, but certainly not him? He knew he was a secret, pondered or not, he wasn’t sure, but only he knew that this Clark Kent lay under Superman’s six-pack.

The seconds ticked away as his patience and level of attention to the lesson diminished. He became jittery as Mr. Jacobson announced that it was now time to pack up- only twenty-four seconds remained on the teasing clock. Finally- the second hand reached the twelve and the minute hand became perfectly aligned with the two. He held his breath and waited for the bell to set him free.

The thirty-two seconds Mr. Jacobson’s clock was off by were agony- but in a way made the final bell even sweeter sounding. He wove his way through the crowed hallway; the destination was soon in sight.

Ten feet to go… three… two ... one… touchdown. The paper seamlessly slipped into her locker, making the tiniest sound as it landed on her thick beginning-of-spring hoodie. Not a moment later, though, his regulatory schedule was upset. She was exactly twenty-one seconds early- giving her a chance to see a hand dropping the note into he locker- and to whom the hand belonged.

If it was possible, his heart stopped and a smile jumped onto her face simultaneously. His gaze met hers, and at this moment he was still her lab partner, he was still her childhood friend, and he was still her next-door-neighbor.
But in that moment, and everyone that followed- the one thing he finally wasn’t, was her secret admirer.

RomanticPhilosopher said...
today at 10:14 pm:
Outstanding. I loved it. The anticipation adds so much to the story, and they way the words wrap around his "torture" at waiting for the bell to ring. Please, you have an unknown affinity for romantics, let your mind roam, and explore the genre. I can't wait to read more of your writing! ~RomanticPhilosopher~

Tiara_Lovee said...
Oct. 22, 2012 at 8:36 am:
It makes you want to keep going on and on. Like you want to know what going to happen next. Will it be a bad or good.

pen_upsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 22, 2012 at 8:16 am:
I thought this story was well written and it makes you want to know what happened after she saw him put the note in her locker.   

ChasingFantasy said...
Wow, I love this story so much:) So, so, SO much! Keep up the awesome work!

TaurusGal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 26, 2012 at 4:30 am:
I love it... Really. =] cool cool work.

team_haymitchThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 12:12 am:
it's so cute!

AshTree said...
Nov. 13, 2010 at 10:55 am:
According to older posts you were only twelve when you wrote this so I think it would be amazing if you wrote another one similar to this but using better description and the things you've learned since then. You should really consider a sequel because it is a really sweet story.

red-head said...
Wow reading the comments (you were 12 ) hmm guess I'll have to read your other stuff. Oh kay back to subject. I liked your story and I loved the way you could see the clock on the wall. Thank you! (keep writing I'm looking for you now!!) :)

Diana101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

Completely amazing story!!! I'm really impressed that you wrote this when you were only 12!!! Now that's true talent!!! Incredible!!!

-Diana101

blondnbrilliant This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
wow. jst wow. this is by far one of the most incredible pieces I have read on teenink. I'm not even slightly kidding when I say that you should write a sequel, or even a next chapter if you wil. The second I finished reading, all I wanted to do was read more, and to my displeasure, there was no sequel listed in your other pieces. But I can say I'm definitly reading everything you've written thus far and hope you keep on writing!

iluvnachoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I agree with Ellawind! You were only twelve? Wow...that's, that's amazing! I love this! I want it so badly to get published! I don't get the magazine, but still, for your benifit. And I would appriciate if you check out some of my stuff. I loved encounter by the way, but this is just hands down adorable! If you can't, I understand, but please. thank you and keep writing! :D

Ellawind said...
Sept. 5, 2010 at 10:27 am:

Wow. Been reading the comments. YOU WERE TWELVE??? This is talent if you were only twelve. Sheesh. 

Anyways. It's sweet, it's simple, and that's what makes it great. The feelings of the narrator are very like a lot of people in the world, so it's understandable and relatable. Awesome!

fireeyedgirl said...
Sept. 5, 2010 at 4:43 am:
This is so sweet! It was much easier to read then 'Encounter' This really shows how versatile you can be, going from fantasy to teen romance. I'm really enjoying your writing, well done!

Inherinerd said...
Wow, this is extremely different from your lastest piece. I think your writing has improved so much since then. This story however is extremely well written for a twelve year old. This is a very cute and fun idea and you portrayed the admirer beautifully. On the flip side, unlike your other story, i think this could have afforded to have some extra detail, like more description of the girl. Still, with all things said i really liked the piece and belive you are one of the most talented teen writ... (more »)

Inherinerd replied...
Sept. 3, 2010 at 7:27 pm :
First of all i meant latest not lastest in the previous comment and secondly, i know you've read one of my pieces already, but if you have the time i would greatly appreciate it if you could give me some constructive critisism on my poem "Can you remember the 12th of december?" if you cant read it i understand, thank you anyways

lucybrown2010This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

Very nice!  I love the ending paragraph!  (:

Could you check out my short story, 'Snakes?' 

Thank you!

thepreechyteenagerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sept. 2, 2010 at 3:17 pm :

... I might come off as rude with what I'm about to say, but I'm sorry, this is what I believe to be right.

I would be completely happy to comment on your story, had you actually reviewed mine.  I appreciate your comment and all, but I think saying seven words about my story, then asking for me to read yours is very rude.  I often comment on other people's work and then ask them to read mine, but I always give a thorough assesment of their work before asking about mine.

<... (more »)

Amiee said...
Aug. 30, 2010 at 7:39 am:
hehe this is cute~ XD i like this, but i personally think that you could write better than this. but it's real cute, i like it ><

Sept. 1, 2010 at 8:39 pm :

Thank you :)

This was written when I was 12 years old, and I think I had a major growth in my writig ability shortly after this, so that's probably why this isn't as good as some of my other works. :)

Amiee replied...
Sept. 2, 2010 at 2:14 am :
oh really? this is sooo good for a 12-year old!!