The Big News | Teen Ink

The Big News

"Do you feel that?" she whispered.There was a thumping sound-rapidly beating. He ran his fingers along the side of her jaw. He stopped feeling, the source of the sound. He bent his head and lightly kissed the side of her jaw. Some how her heartbeat quickened. She chuckled softly. He took her hands in his.

She stared into his big brown eyes, and he into her small green eyes. The moment was perfect, the two in perfect harmony together-the way it was supposed to be. He pulled her close to him, the warmth hovering between them. "I love you" she whispered. He pressed his forehead to hers and kissed her gently and slowly, that made them breathless. But a tear trickled along the side of his cheek.

"What's the matter?" she asked. He looked out into the horizon, watching the sun set in Laguna Beach. The water was practically black, but they were calm. More tears came. Then more. And more. "Seth, please talk to me!" she yelled. He grabbed her hand and kissed it, but she pulled away. "Tell me." He was still quite. "Are you leaving me?" she said through grinned teeth. "What? No! I just have news. Big news, actually." They sat legs crossed. With deep breaths, he said, "I'm joining the army."

* * *

The days went on, lonely and terrified. Last month, was the month where Seth had written is last letter. He had written Charlotte everyday, but that was the last one she had gotten. She grew worried. She hadn't eaten, she hadn't slept, nothing until she got a letter saying he was alright. Then July 12th came and she checked the mail once again. There was a letter with dirt covered finger prints. She opened it, and there was a wrinkled letter inside.

Slowly she opened it, expecting the sloppy writing of Seth. But instead she saw:

"Dear Mrs. Brown,
I am sorry to say that your husband, Seth Brown, has been killed in an attempt to win the war. I wish you the best, and don't worry he's in a better place now.

Sincerely,

General Smith"

Her heart stopped. Her Seth was gone. She fell to the floor and wept, and yelled, and pounded, and threw. She read the letter over and over, but it didn't help. She tore it into a dozen pieces and yelled and screamed more. She stared at her wedding ring, thinking of him. Her life was over. There was no happy ending.