Don't Leave Me

“Don’t leave me”

The words that came from his mouth echoed in the infinite space of my mind and dug a knife through the pit of my stomach. The memory of that night flooded and washed away every other thought occupying me. I replayed the night just like I had a million times before…

I could clearly see the tears he was attempting to hold back as we sat in dead silence. I looked at him. He looked away. Time escaped my grasp as the glowing numbers on the digital clock morphed into others, climbing higher and higher. 11:30.

“I have to go”

He braved a look at me. Defeat washed over his face.

“Get out of the car”

He looked puzzled at my statement. I opened my door and walked around the car. He waited on the other side. I ran into his arms. He locked them around me. His grasp became tighter as he pulled me closer. He finally spoke.

“I love you so much”

I responded with what he already knew to be true. We sat there for what seemed like an eternity. Time had paused to give us one last moment of true satisfaction together. In that moment, we belonged together. Distance would soon pull us apart and attempt to sever the love we had for each other. The outcome was undetermined. No matter how long each of us stood and fought our greatest fear, we didn’t know who would win. That’s when he said it.

“Don’t leave me”

Those words pierced my heart. It hurt.

“I…”

I didn’t finish what I was going to say. Time had continued its course and Departure was ready. I pulled away and looked into his drooping “sad” eyes and whispered three words.

“I love you”

I kissed him and I let go of him to start walking away. He held onto my hand until the very tips of our fingers were no longer touching. It was if he was savoring every last bit of me. I opened the door and got in my car. I drove away. A single tear traveled the path of my cheek and I whispered…

“Don’t leave me”