Forgetable Soulmate

It’s crazy how you can know someone so well; absolutely crazy. And it’s even crazier how in love you can be with someone without them noticing.

How could he not see the way I look at him? I am his best friend, after all. Shouldn’t he notice things like that? He knows everything about me; almost has much as I know about him. Not only have we completely grown up together, but we’re also all each other have. His dad is…never around, and my parents are flakes. He and I spend ever holiday together, every birthday; everything important and not.

On the Fourth of July he would buy one firework, the biggest he could find, and then after we let it fly, we would watch The Patriot while eating burnt popcorn, because he always cooks it for too long. On Thanksgiving—after the quiet forced and formal dinner apart with our parents—we would go down to the local bistro and order two turkey sandwiches (with mayo). On Easter we would make hard-boiled eggs and have a food fight with them in his back yard; letting his German Shepherd clean up after us.
His favorite movie is Never Back Down, and his favorite television show is How I Met Your Mother. Green is his favorite color. He can play twenty of my favorite songs on his old guitar—though he would never tell you. His eyes are the same dark blue as his father’s; their only real similarity in my opinion. He would never let anyone see him cry (except for me, of course). He loves to argue about the world—as if it has revealed itself to him. His little sister is a lot like him: beautiful. He loves her more than he will admit. To him the world is black and white; no grey areas. He can see through peoples’ lies, their masks, and their excuses.

If only he could see through me. I know how obvious I am, despite my best efforts, but he—the guy who sees through everyone—can’t see the poorly hidden truth in my eyes.
On Christmas, we buy each other a present, bake deformed gingerbread men, and eat them while watching A Charlie Brown Christmas on DVD.
If you asked me if I love him, I’d lie to you.
I’m seating in the passenger seat of his car—my second home since sophomore year— watching the sunlight catch every color in his eyes. He’s telling me about his night with his dad (not so happily). He swears he’ll never fall in love, I laugh with a silent hope that he’s wrong. We talk and joke, going about our day, but every moment he seems to take my breath away.
To say I don’t love him would be…an obvious lie.

moonpetal said...
Wow that was amezzzzzing!Sad though. I can't relate but I can empithize and that would be very bad. Love your insperation. Music is the sould of writing if you ask me. I loved it wow! Way to go! Keep writng that was great!

Saint_that_Sins This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you so much! lol I agree with you that Music is the sound of writing! Personal I cant write a single sentance without a little background music! :)

moonpetal replied...
Hah true sorru typed that wrong XD Me ether :D lol! Who r u listening to? I am listening to "Same" by Snow Partrol. Yet another one of my bands no one has heard of XD Uh they sing "Chasing cars"

I love Snow Patrol!!! lol

moonpetal replied...
Aug. 5, 2010 at 6:18 am
OMG really? They are awesome. XD I love them! Every song they have is PERFECT!! XD What songs do you really like?

umm well i love Chasing Cars and Just Say Yes. i also like Crack the Shutters, Signal Fire, & Same!

moonpetal replied...
Hah I haven't heard signal fire just say yes. Crack the shutters is pretty good :) Same is a good song to :)

TerraTAZz said...
Jul. 31, 2010 at 9:33 am
Amazinggg! You aree gifted! Love the story and the rhyme at the end! It was greatt keep writingg:)

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 27, 2010 at 10:16 am

I love this, Taylor Swift is amazing, I also wrote a piece based on one of her songs.  You expressed it perfectly, it is bittersweet.  Great job.

Btw, could you check out and comment on my work?

Babylufin said...

I agree: bittersweet. And very good at that. :)

Please check out my work! :)

rosaliehale said...
Jul. 24, 2010 at 11:52 am

ove the song and article!!

PC0916 said...
Jul. 24, 2010 at 2:02 am
I can totally relate to this piece! Great job!

CloudWanderer said...
Looove iiiiittt! It's really great. Bittersweet. Better, in a way, than the predictable hollywood mush.