You Belong With Me | Teen Ink

You Belong With Me

By WishfulThinking BRONZE, Vidor, Texas
WishfulThinking BRONZE, Vidor, Texas
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

" Live as if you'll die tomorow, dream as if you'll live forever. "
~Unknown

I lay out in the field behind my house, staring up into the beautiful starry night sky. It was an amazing sight to see. I loved laying out here whenever it was nice weather. I usually came here to just think and ponder on things. Sometimes I came with friends. But tonight I was alone. I’m glad I stayed home for this instead of going to that stupid party that Kelly was having. Kelly Andrews is one of my good friends. She is great and all but sometimes… I wonder how we came to be friends. She is so different from me! She is a gorgeous blonde, with stunning blue eyes, skinny as a twig, a dancer, and popular. The exact opposite of me!! I am brunette with grayish blue eyes, a chubby face, and I am short and squat. I have no hand eye coordination that is required to dance or play any type of sports or anything. And I am quite far from popular. But I’m still glad Kelly and I are friends, even though we are so different. I sat up in the dewy grass, still looking at the stars. It was around midnight, so I probably needed to go to sleep. Glancing over at Regan’s house next to me, I wondered if he was at Kelly’s party. He probably was, I don’t even know why I thought he might not be. He liked Kelly. Not a lot… But I think he just wanted someone to like him. It made me sad to think about it…Regan was my best friend, and I hated to see him sad. We were so close. He knew everything about me, and I knew everything about him. Sometimes I’m pretty sure he knows me better than I know myself. And sometimes… I just wished I could be the one for him. Just to ease the pain. Not that I had that kind of interest in him. He would deserve someone better than me anyways.

Suddenly I heard scrambling and Regan slipped over the top of the fence. Well speak of the devil, I thought to myself, smiling internally. He jogged toward me, his brown curls bouncing as a wide grin stretched across his face. I tried to bite back the smile I knew was coming, but it slipped through anyways. “Hi,” he said, taking a seat next to me on the wet grass. “What are you doing out here so late?” Tearing at the grass in front of me I said, “Oh, just thinking.” His sapphire eyes looked at me, prying. “About?” He was always so questioning. It was annoying sometimes, but not now. “Life. Regan, I just need someone right now. A good hug and a sad movie. And of course, ice cream.” I looked over at him smiling. He smiled back and put his arm around my shoulders. “I can do that,” he whispered as he kissed me on my forehead. I sat there for a minute in his arms, savoring the moment. Then finally I stood up and said, “Let’s go eat some ice cream and watch a movie. I’m sure mom will let you stay.” I helped him to his feet and then skipped back to the house.

When I walked in mom was pouring herself a cup of coffee. I don’t look very much like my mom. All I got really from her was my hair. Other than that I look a whole lot like a feminine version of my dad. But I have only seen him in pictures, and those were 13 years ago at least. My mom had me out of wedlock and then had to leave when my dad couldn’t handle the responsibility of taking care of me. That’s why it was just me and my mom in the house. Oh, and my cat Thomas, of course.

“Mom, can Regan stay and watch a movie with me? I’ll send him home when it’s over. Please?” Pleadingly, I looked up into her eyes. “Alright,” she said. “But don’t you dare start kissing because that will lead to-" I cut her off abruptly. “Mom!! It’s not like that!” My face was blood red. I was so glad Regan wasn't inside yet. “Yeah, okay. Sure it’s not. Whatever, he can stay. As long as he leaves as soon as the movie is over!” She grumbled as she walked up the stairs to her room. My mom has no idea what she is talking about, I told myself. Or does she? I shook my head, dismissing the thought. I shouldn’t be thinking such things.

I opened the door and saw Regan standing there looking a little awkward. “Do I need to go? It sounded like you and your mom were arguing.” I hoped to God he didn’t hear what we were talking about. “No! Its fine, we weren’t arguing.” I replied swiftly, hoping he wouldn’t catch the lie. “Okay,” He smiled and walked in the door. “I’ll get the ice cream and you start a movie. Pick whatever movie you want. It doesn’t matter to me.” I nodded and walked into the living room. Pulling out the DVD’s, I plop on the floor, trying to find just the right movie. I decided to watch “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone”. Screw watching a sad movie, I thought, I am in no condition to watch something like “The Pursuit of Happiness”. You can never go wrong with Harry Potter. I had put the movie in and was sitting down on the couch right as he walked and plopped down right next to me and handed me my bowl of ice cream. “Desert is served,” he said with a flourish. “What movie are we watching?” I giggled and nestled into the cushions. “Harry Potter numero uno.” I grinned. “Ho, ho, ho! Is that right? I guess you can never go wrong with Harry Potter,” He said, repeating my thoughts from earlier. “Even though you said we would be watching a sad movie!” I sighed internally. “It is sad Regan! Jeez Louise! How do you think the Dursley’s felt when he left??” I tsk tsked. “And plus…I don’t want you to see me cry.” I whispered ever so quietly to myself. “Now shut up, I’m busy trying to watch my SAD movie!” I smirked. I picked up the remote to press play, but he took it from me. “What did you say before that??” He asked, penetratingly. Dangit! He had caught that me. I scowled. I knew that if I lied he would catch me. So why bother? I thought to myself. “I said ‘and I don’t want you to see me cry.’” I crossed my arms and leaned back into the couch. I wouldn’t look him in the eye. “Layla, do you honestly think I haven’t seen you cry before? Or that I would…think any different of you because you cried in front of me? You are my best friend, and I know everything about you.” He said gently. I started to sniffle but I refused to reach up and touch my cheek to see if actual tears were coming. “Oh Layla,” He whispered and he pulled me into his arms. I stiffened for a moment, refusing to give in to my emotions. But he stroked my back lightly and rested his head on my mine. I leaned into his shoulder and started crying softly, trying not to let him see my face. We stayed like that for a minute or two when my crying receded. “Here, maybe this will help.” He smiled at me and handed me my bowl of ice cream. I kind of smiled and a small laugh escaped my lips. “Thank you,” I said taking it and dipping my spoon into the amazing chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. “I’m sorry you had to see that.” I said looking over apologetically at him. “Layla, don’t say that. You don’t need to be sorry. I’ll always be here for you,” He smiled, making my heart melt. “Now let’s watch this movie!” He pressed play on the remote and I set in for the long movie. It was so good! Until about the middle of the movie, and that’s when I passed out totally. At least it was summer, so I could sleep in the next morning. The next time I came to consciousness, it was pitch black, and I was being carried up stairs. I thrashed around, and then whoever was holding me dropped me on my but at the top of the stairs. I looked up and said groggily, “Who are you?” I heard a musical chuckle. “It’s me, you silly goose.” I recognized Regan’s voice immediately. “Oh.” I said rubbing my throbbing head. Regan laughed again and picked me up easily. He brought me to my room and laid me on the bed. He pulled the covers up to my chin and tucked it in on my sides. “You’re tucking me in?” I said astonished. “Yes sweetheart,” He laughed. “Goodnight sunshine.” He whispered, kissing me on the forehead. He started to walk out but I reached out and grabbed his hand. “No no,” I mumbled pulling him near. “Don’t go. Sing me a song.” I hadn’t realized how sleep deprived I was until just now. Did I just ask him to sing me a song?? I thought disbelievingly. Apparently I had. He looked a little dumbfounded, but he didn’t refuse. He quietly pulled up my rolling desk chair and sat in it. “What do you want me to sing?” He said. I pondered it. “Whatever you want.” I finally decided to say. He sat thinking for a moment. Then he launched into song. I recognized it right off the bat. It was All I Ask of You, a song in the movie Phantom of the Opera. “No more talk of darkness, forget these wide-eyed fears; I’m here, nothing can harm you, my words will warm and calm you. Let me be your freedom, let daylight dry your tears; I’m here, with you, beside you, to guard you and to guide you.” Regan’s voice was heavenly. His whole family could sing, but I think he sang the best. And having him sing me to sleep made me feel so…loved, and amazing. “Say you’ll love me every waking moment; turn my head with talk of summertime…” I quietly sang nodding off to sleep. “Regan?” I said, sleepily. “Yes?” He whispered. “Thank you.” And then my mind faded off into unconsciousness.

Chapter 2:
I woke up the next morning with the worst headache in the history of horrible headaches. “Gah!!” I yelled and rolled out of my bed, falling onto the floor. I grasped my head in my hands and just laid there on the floor. After a few minutes the throbbing receded somewhat, so I got up and went to get in the shower. When I walked in the bathroom the face in the mirror scared me half to death. I jumped back, clutching my hand to my chest. Oh. It’s just me. But man did I look horrible! My hair looked like a rat’s nest piled up on my head and I had dark circles underneath my eyes. I looked like a zombie. But I guess that’s what you get for staying up so late. I climbed into the shower and turned on the hot water. Ah. That felt A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. I washed my hair with plenty of shampoo and conditioner and scrubbed my face down. When I got out of the shower I wrapped up in my towel and I tiptoed across the hall to my room. I dressed for the day in khaki shorts and a turquoise t-shirt. I brushed through my hair quickly with my brush and then flung open the door. I skipped down the steps two at a time and walked into the kitchen. My mom was making breakfast and was setting our plates on the table as I reached into the medicine cabinet and grabbed me an Aspirin. I walked over to the table and sat down in front of my plate, breathing in the sweet aroma of chocolate chip pancakes. Man, I sure had I thing for stuff with chocolate chips in it!! I knew it wasn’t good for me, but I couldn’t help it. I hurriedly ate my food and chugged down my milk. Now that my head didn’t hurt as bad, I felt antsy, like I needed to be busy doing something. So I grabbed my sketch book and walked out my back door. Immediately I felt the sun on my face and I smiled, my face upturned. Fluffy white clouds crossed the sky, but carried no sign of rain; for which I was very thankful. I found I nice soft patch of grass to sit on underneath a pretty magnolia tree. I sat there for an hour or two, just drawing little pictures all over the pages in the sketch book. I was in the middle of drawing a bird in flight when my phone buzzed in my pocket, making me throw my pencil up in the air. “Ah!” I dug the phone out of my pocket and answered. “Uh, hello?” “Alayla! It’s me, Regan!” “Duh it’s you,” I replied with a smile. “What’s up?” “What are you doing today?” He inquired. I smiled. “Nothing. You?” He chuckled on the other end of the phone. “I hoped you would have said that. I want to take you on a picnic.” Oh! I thought. I definantly didn’t expect that! “Sure!” I said, excitement building. “I would love that.” “Okay!! I’ll be over soon!” He exclaimed and hung up. I laughed to myself. Will he ever stop surprising me? I got up and dusted of my pants as I started towards the house. Regan knew I had always loved picnics. I tried to be outside as much as I could because it was just so….peaceful. I loved it. He tried to spend as much time as he could outside with me, but he had a busy schedule, unlike me. Sometimes I would even drag a tent out there and make a little camp and stay the night outside in my own backyard. Sure, I guess it was kind of silly, but I liked it.