What am I willing to sacrifice for perfection? | Teen Ink

What am I willing to sacrifice for perfection?

Hard. Emotionless. Painless. Heartbreaking. Dangerous. Criminal. Insane. Perfect. Deadly. All these words describe different people, different perspectives, and different lives. It mirrors against one another countless times each time different and easier to deal with than the other. One life may change from emotionless and painless to insane to dangerous to DEADLY. And no one in our galaxy can stop these changes. People make mistakes, so unfixable even, but each person must get a chance to fix their wrongdoings and continue life. People deal with complicated situations all the time: pain, loss, death, tragedy, but they never really understand what causes any of these things. Well, I understood that my problems are created on my own, inside my head, and splashed out on the outside.
One girl is living a perfect life. She is beautiful, she has the perfect family, the perfect house in Poconos for the summer, her boyfriend is the perfect guy, and her friends are crazily jealous of all her success and fortune. But one day something changes. That girl wakes up and realizes that something is wrong. Her parents are fighting, her house is breaking down, her friends won’t speak to her, her boyfriend ignores her calls, and she is no longer beautiful and innocent like she was before. The girl gets scared, and tries to fix the problem but realizes later she caused it in the first place. Remember that time you heard your parents arguing over who broke the champagne glasses when it was really your fault? Well, she didn’t say anything and let in slide through. How about when your friends got into trouble and you were off the hook but you didn’t defend them or try to help in any way? Or when you called your boyfriend an jerk to his face and never let him explain why he was at another girl’s house for a few minutes when he was picking up his mother’s books? And when she didn’t tell the truth, once, twice, maybe a third time. She overreacted, made things up, and spread the lies. That girl didn’t know of the consequences until they hit her in the face and brought her in touch with reality. Painful, emotional, heartbreaking, insane, deep and penetrating, tough reality. She chose to take a drug and deal with her problems with alcohol and pills instead of apologizing and fixing her mistakes.
How about another girl. Her friend is living the perfect life and she is just the girl next door. She is a follower, never taking a stand for her, never speaking up to her “Queen Bee.” She is average, not unusual. Her life is safe, real, and painless. But her friend always stirs up trouble. She often gets drunk, gets herself involved in scandals and problems, and cheats on her boyfriends and parties until all hours. But that girl is thought to be perfect and innocent when she is not. So Little Miss Average tells everyone about her friend’s little drinking problem and her visit to the free clinic the next day at school. When Little Miss Perfect is exposed, she is not perfect anymore. Wait, she never was!! People create an illusion of what they want the world to be like: easy, painless, simple and never questioning their true motives. But is that real? Is that really the way to look at life or are people there to actually fix the messed up world? People are sane and normal, but they do things that make others question their sanity and normality? So next time YOU look into a mirror, ask yourself: What am I willing to sacrifice in order to be perfect and problem-free? Is in honesty? Integrity? Sanity? Love and friendship? Lives, even?
“Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”

This piece was inspired by my english teacher and the problems i faced with love and lies.

TaylorLlover said...
on Aug. 10 2010 at 12:02 pm
TaylorLlover, East Meadow, New York
amazing,and so true please write more.

on Jul. 22 2010 at 8:35 am
addicted1997 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

If you love something, srt it free. If they come back, it was meant to be. If they dont, they were never yours in the first place.

plz comment and tell me what you think of the writing