True Love | Teen Ink

True Love

By Kari.G BRONZE, Elgin, Illinois
Kari.G BRONZE, Elgin, Illinois

"Stay true to yourself and go after your dreams and passions, and never give up"

When I was eighteen years old I fell in love. It was 1997 and New York was full of life. I was attending Saint Julliard’s Visual and Performing Arts Academy. It was my senior year when I met Casey Rogers. She was the captain of the cheer squad and was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen. I remember high school crystal clear. I remember my two only friends Ryan and Sam. I remember getting shoved into my locker by the arrogant jocks. I remember people saying that my dream of becoming a musician was stupid and impossible. I also remember writing love poems to Casey. I watched her as she passed me by in the hallways, not even looking at me; probably because to everyone else I was nobody. I used to stuff my poems into her locker and wait for her to find them. I always watched as she read them and laugh then throw them away. I thought it was just because I was a crappy poet. Or it could've been because girls like Casey only liked the popular guys. The one's who everybody knew and loved.

But that was then. Now things have changed. It's now 2007 and I'm pulling up to my old, dreadful high school for my class reunion. I looked out my window to see the place where I spent four years of high school misery. I was brought back into memories of when I was nobody, when no one knew my name, not even my teachers! I heard a soft voice call my name.

"Danny? Are you ready?" said April, my friend since college and now assistant. April had long, straight, dark brown hair that suited her slender figure and chocolate brown eyes. Her face was heart-shaped. She had prominent cheekbones and a thin nose with a narrow jaw line. To most of my guy friends, she was hot but to me she was much more than just good looks; she was smart, funny, shy but assertive. And most of all, she understood me and I understood her. We joked around that we were the each other’s other half.

I looked up at April and said, "Yeah. Let's go." My chauffeur opened door of the limo and I stepped out to the sound of screaming fans. I shielded my eyes from the blinding lights of the paparazzi cameras. I turned to April.

"How did the paps know I was here?" I asked April confused.

"I don't know, Danny. The word must've got out that you were going to be here," April responded.

A chubby reporter was holding out a recorder above my bodyguard's arms and said, "Hey Danny! How does it feel to be one of the most popular and successful musicians of the 21st century? Is it true that you're dating Jennifer Aniston?"

I looked at the reporter. I thought about it for a few seconds. Now they think I'm dating Jennifer Aniston. I chuckled at the thought of her even knowing who I am. I wish. The paparazzi questions get crazier ever time, don't they? Wait. Did he just refer to me as one of the best musicians? He did.

"I wouldn't say that I'm one of the "greatest" musicians. I think of myself as just a regular one. And I'm not dating Jennifer Aniston," I said hesitating whether to stay to answer more questions or hurry and go inside. I felt kind of awkward just standing there debating what to do. The paparazzi were just asking me questions left and right.

"Is it true that you're going to be on "Celebrity Rehab?" a short stocky, dark hair reporter asked.

"What? No!" I responded to the absurd question.

"It has been said that you're on cocaine and that you're doing it with Britney Spears. Is this true?" said a tall, blond hair guy.

"No! I've never done any drugs in my entire life," I said getting overwhelmed by so many crazy questions.

"Come on," said April, now grabbing and pulling my arm and taking me into my old high school.

When the doors of the high school was closed and the wave of the paparazzi were gone form my view, I hugged April.

"Thanks for getting me out of there," I said with her in my embrace. We broke apart a few seconds later. I looked at April's now blushing face.

"Why are you blushing?" I said and laughed. She shook her head and smiled.

"No particular reason," she replied.

We started walking down the white tiled hallway to the small table where a short, gray haired woman was waiting to give out name tags.

"Name?" she asked in a dry, monotone voice.

"Danny Sinclair," I said as I watched her retrieve a small white square piece of paper with my name on it in bold black letters.

"Welcome back to St. Juilliard. You and your date can now go inside of the gym," the old lady said as she pointed to the two large metallic gym doors.

I laughed and smiled.

"Oh, she isn't my date miss," I said to her.

"Whatever," she replied without interest in my statement and sat back down on her black stool.

I looked at April and we both smiled and opened the gym door. The gym smelled of sweat and nasty party food. The gym was a large rectangle with basketball hoops hanging in the air. The lights were bright and looked dingy white. The lights were hanged up so high that if you looked up for too long, you would be paranoid that the lights might fall on you.

I looked around the crowded room. I knew which groups were what. The former muscular jocks were now the fat guys wearing their old royal blue and white school jackets. The former preps were now dressed in sweater vests, sweaters tied around their necks, and expensive designer clothes along with diamond necklaces and watches. Anyone else you could tell where they belonged. I looked around.

"Who are you looking for?" asked April. She was so quiet I had forgotten that she was standing right with me.

"Oh, I'm just looking for this person from my past...," I said trailing off as I searched for Casey, the girl who stole my heart.

After searching for what seemed like ages, there she was. Standing across the room, she was just as beautiful as I remembered. She had short, wavy, blond hair. She had deep pools of blue eyes. She was slim but still had her nice, curvy hips.

She must have seen me staring at her because she was now walking across the gym, pushing passed the crowd, and coming toward me. I turned to April in panic.

"What do I do? What do I say to her? Should I tell her how I feel? What do I do April?" I said starting to feel nervous and nauseous. April looked at Casey who was now five seconds away and turned to look at me again. She had a sad look on her face.

"Just talk to her. Ask her out or whatever," April said sounding indifferent and then walking out of the gym.

I looked at the gym door as it closed shut. "I wonder what's the matter with her?" I thought. I turned to see Casey smiling at me with her luscious, red lips.

"Hey Danny. Remember me?" Casey said looking at me with her seductive eyes.

"She knows my name!" I yelled in my head. "How do you know my name?" I asked in astonish.

She laughed with the most beautiful, angelic smile I had ever seen. She said "It's on your name tag, silly. I also remember you writing me poems back in high school. I loved them all, just so you know."

In that very moment, I waved goodbye to that heart of mine and fell back in love with Casey. From there we started talking about our lives after high school and what we were now doing as adults. I was surprised to know that Casey knew everything about me. Well besides what I told her about me, she knew the rest from reading my biography from the magazine Cosmo Girl. But it was enough to make me fall in love with her even more. She pretty much knew my life story. It didn't take long Casey to establish that since we liked each other enough and knew one another well that we should just start dating. I was surprised but I eagerly agreed.

The next night was our first date. I called Casey to ask her what she wanted to do.

I picked up my cell phone and dialed her number. After two rings, she picked up.

"Hey Danny," Casey said.

"Hey. How did you know it was me?" I asked.

"They have a thing called caller id now. Wake up Danny, it's the 21st century," Casey said then laughed. "Damn. I feel so stupid now. Just get it together man," I thought to myself.

"So what do you want to do tonight?" I asked trying to sound cool and collected.

"Well, have you heard about "Hairspray", the movie with Zac Efron in it?" Casey asked.

I thought about it. Is she talking about that musical that's like based in the 50's and has John Travolta as a fat woman? Yeah, that's the one.

"Yeah, I know what you're talking about. Why?" I asked curious.

"I was kind of thinking that since you're my little rock star that you could get us into tonight's movie premier of it," Casey said sounding sweet and soft.

"Well if you want to, I guess we could go. My agent was trying to get me to go there anyway. At least you'll be there with me. But I was hoping for us just to stay in at my place tonight. I was planning on cooking you my special four cheese lasagna," I said now a little disappointed at going out now.

"That sounds sweet of you, but I really want to go. It will be fun for the both of us. Please?" Casey said sounding like a child pleading with their parents to go to the store with them.

I sighed and said "Okay. I'm on my way to pick you up now then. Just be ready when I get there in twenty minutes," I said walking towards my bedroom to get a tuxedo.

"Oh, I'm already done. I have my dress and hair all ready. See you soon," Casey quickly said then I heard the line disconnect.

"I love you too," I said flipping my cell phone closed.

An hour later, Casey and I were on the red carpet posing for the bright camera lights. Casey was a natural at posing for the paparazzi cameras. She was doing poses that I had seen in magazines. I didn't kind of like posing for the cameras. I felt out of place and awkward standing next to Casey who was wearing a bright candy apple red dress. As usual the paparazzi were asking me their heat wave of questions.

"Danny! Who is that you're with?" said a tall guy dressed in all black.

"Is she you're girlfriend?" said another reporter.

"Are you cheating on your girlfriend, Jennifer Aniston, with her?" asked a short woman that I couldn't see because of the mass crowd. Before I could deny or even answer one og their questions, Casey stepped in.

"Danny's not dating Jennifer Aniston. Get your fact straights. He's dating me. I'm hiis current girlfriend and my name is Casey Rogers. Don't forget the name; know it, fear it, embrace it," Casey said sneering at the crowd of paparazzi.

After the movie premier had ended, I noticed that Casey wasn't with me. I turned to see her flirting with Zac Efron, the actor from "High School Musical". She was holding onto his arm, talking. I felt an electric wave of anger pass through my body.

"How could she do this to me? Why the hell is she flirting with him! Doesn't she know how much I love her?!" I yelled my mind. I don't know what came over me but by the time I thought this I had already had Casey's arm, pulling her to the limo with me.

"Casey, what the hell were you doing flirting with him?!" I said raising my voice and pointing at Zac.

"God, Danny!" Casey said now raising her voice, "stop suffocating me with your presence."

"What the hell do you mean?" I said

"I mean," she stopped talking mid-sentence and looked at Zac who was signaling her to come back over and then looked back at me. "I mean that I just wanted to meet Zac," Casey said looking away.

I thought about it for a second. "So you were just using me to meet Zac, huh?" I said.

Casey turned her head back and looked at me with apologetic eyes. "Look, I'm sorry okay. I knew you were famous and that you had a little pathetic crush on me in high school and I really have this thing for Zac and you were going to be at the reunion and it was just perfect timing. You see where this is going right?" Casey said.

"So you saw an opportunity to exploit a person's emotions to get what you want and you just took a shot at it, huh? Without even thinking once how this was going to make me feel or if I had "actual" and genuine feelings for you?" I said.

"Yeah that's about right. Well all I have to say know since the cats out of the bag is that I'm sorry and no hard feelings. Anyways If you don't mind which you won't cause we're not dating, I'm going to go with Zac. It was great seeing you Danny," Casey said as she walked back towards Zac and they left arm in arm with each other.

I stared off at the spot where Casey and Zac had just walked off together at. I couldn't believe that had just happened. I thought that it was the start of a new beginning in my relationship life when Casey and I "reconnected" at our reunion. I guess I was wrong now. I wanted to tell someone of my bizarre short last "relationship". I flipped my cell phone opened and dialed my assistant, April's number.

"Hello?" said April's sweet, soft, tranquil voice.

"Hey April, It's Danny," I said smiling from just hearing the sound of her voice.

"Oh, hey Danny! What's going on?" April said sounding a bit excited.

"Well I was wondering if you could meet me at Central Park in about fifteen minutes. I need to talk to you," I said.

"I’ll be right there. See you soon!" April said rushing to get off the phone.

When I got to Central Park I saw April already sitting on the bench looking around.

"Hey April!" I yelled as I waved.

"Hey," April said as I sat down on the bench. "So what was so important that we had to talk about late at this time?"

I told April what had happened after she left my high school reunion and with Casey and I. When I was done telling her my story she just glared at me with her chocolate brown eyes.

"Damn. That was bogus as hell Danny, sorry. Sometimes relationships can be flings or short or long term relationships. You just had a... I don't know, lets say a fling," April said trying to cheer me up which wasn't exactly helping.

"But I don't want a fling April. I want the real deal, a relationship," I said.

"Forget about the real deal. You don't find it, it finds you, Who knows Danny? Maybe the one who you've been looking for has been here the whole time," April said looking at me with intense yet soft eyes.

Just then, I saw a new glow to April. The night sky along with the city's lights illuminated April's beauty. Her long, wavy, dark brown hair shined in the light. Her pink, tender, alluring lips made you want to kiss them. And her slender and curvy body was outlined perfect in this light, sending chills through my body.

"I think you're right with both the things you just said," I said to April, moving closer to her on the green bench. "You know how it's better for me to tell how I feel in my lyric writing?" I asked.

"Yes. Why?" April asked confused at what I was getting at.

I looked at April to reassure my feelings and I gave her the letter I wrote in the limo on the way here.

I watched as April started to read, "There's always that one person that will always have your heart. You'll never see it coming cause you're blinded from the start. April, know that you're the one for me and it's clear for everyone to see."

When I saw that April had read the last word, I leaned in and kissed her on the lips. I was glad when she grabbed me and we kept kissing. When we broke apart, we both smiled at each other and laughed. I don't know why we were laughing but it felt right.

"I loved you ever since college, Danny Sinclair," April said as she leaned in to kiss me again.