EC-AM=Heartbreak (43: THE END)

3:45 p.m.
Westchester Police Department

“Evalynne,” Will said, emerging from the hallway where the interrogation rooms were located. He rushed over to me and wrapped me up in a hug.
“Hey,” I replied, smiling. It felt so nice to be hugging Will.
But when he finally broke away, his face was grim and disappointed. “The cops weren’t able to catch them. Michael and Val got away.”
My stomach turned uneasily. They were still out there somewhere, roaming around freely. “What if they come back for us?” I inquired, my voice soft and afraid.
He bit his lip worriedly as he considered this. “I don’t know.” he confessed.
I sighed and looked away as a moment of silence passed between us. “So how are your parents taking this?” I asked him.
“Not well,” he remarked. “When my dad found out he was shocked into silence. And my mom refuses to believe that her perfect little son did anything wrong.”
“But they showed her the journal, didn’t they?” I queried. How could she not believe it? She had the proof right there in front of her.
Will swallowed hard when I said this and glanced away from me before finally responding. “She’s blaming that on me. She’s trying to tell the cops that I made that journal because I’ve always been jealous of Michael’s intelligence. She thinks I framed him.”
I couldn’t keep my jaw from dropping out of shock. What parent was that cruel to their own child? How could Trish blame Will for something that was so obviously Michael’s fault? What kind of mother was she? Did she even care about how Will felt? Or had Michael brainwashed her into thinking that Will didn’t matter whatsoever?
“Will, you that’s not true.” I told him, noting the hurt look in his eyes. “Your mom is just shocked. She’ll face the truth sooner or later though.” I could only hope that I was right.
He nodded wordlessly. I could tell by the look on his face that he didn’t really believe this, but he obviously didn’t want to stay on this subject either so he didn’t argue against it. “So,” he began, “earlier, when you said that you were in love with me…” He glanced up at me awkwardly.
“Oh, that was just a distraction!” I told him. Technically, I wasn’t lying. The only reason I said was to distract Michael. “I’m not really in love with you though.” I added. This however, was a lie.
A relieved grin spread across his lips. “Good, because that would be so awkward.” he said, laughing lightly. I nodded, and laughed along with him. Laughing on the outside, crying on the inside.
Why couldn’t Will just love me back? He was so perfect for me! Unlike Cole and Ash, he wasn’t full of drama. He wasn’t extremely violent, perverted, or jealous. He was protective, but not overprotective. Sweet, but not so sweet that it was cheesy. Hot, but in his own cool and unique way. Plus, he was always there for me.
Yeah, he had his issues, but everyone had issues. I sure did. My life was a complete and utter mess, yet Will still accepted me despite my crazy life. Plus, he wasn’t there last summer. So I had a clean slate with him. I didn’t have any history with him yet. I wasn’t forced to choose between him and someone else like I was with Ash and Cole.
But none of that mattered because he didn’t like me back. Will was my was my one true love, my soul mate, my best friend…but to him I was only a best friend. And I had to admit that knowing that hurt. A lot.
“So how’s Cole’s girlfriend doing? Valerie hit her pretty hard.” I could tell by the sound of his voice that it pained him to say Valerie’s name. But I honestly didn’t get it. After the way Valerie had acted, how could he possibly still love her? What did she have that I didn’t have? What made her so special? Unless he was into psychopaths who helped his lunatic brother murder people.
“I’m not sure, but Cole just left to go visit her at the hospital. He’ll probably call me with the news as soon as he finds out.” I informed him. And then, as if on cue, my cell phone began to vibrate in my pocket. I pulled it out and glanced at caller I.D., “That’s him right now.” I said. I flipped the phone open, pressed it to my ear, “Hello,”
“E-Evalynne,” Cole stuttered into the phone, his voice shaky. I could tell that he was crying. “Y-you have to get over here r-right away,”
“Cole, what’s wrong?” I inquired, worried now. “Is Katrina alright?”
“Please, j-just come now,” he cried. The line went dead. He’d hung up.
“Is everything ok?” Will asked me sounding concerned.
“I don’t think so. But I’ve got to get over to the hospital.” I told him, jamming my phone back into my pocket and heading for the door of the police station.
“I’ll come with you,” he said, trailing behind me.
I glanced back at him and grinned, “Come on,” I said. But when we got outside I remembered that I didn’t have a car. The police had given me a lift over here. “C***,” I muttered under my breath.
“We can take my car,” Will said, as if reading my mind. So we climbed into his Volvo and soon enough, we were racing off down the street, headed towards St. Edward’s Hospital.
When we got there, we rushed into the main lobby to find Cole sitting in one of the chairs. His head was in his hand and his entire body was trembling. I took a deep breath before approaching him, and Will followed closely behind me. “Cole,” I said to him.
He looked up at me and I tried not to gasp at his appearance. His face was red and blotchy, his lower lip was quivering, his cheeks were streaked with tears. He looked awful. “She’s dead, Evalynne!” he cried, sobbing some more. Then he turned to look at Will, his eyes full of fury. “And it’s all because of your stupid freakin’ girlfriend!”
He angrily rose to his feet, but I placed my hands on his shoulders and sat him back down. “Cole, calm down.” I told him gently. “It’s not Will’s fault. Him and Valerie aren’t even together anymore.”
I glanced over at Will, who had gone completely pale. His mouth opened as if he were about to say something, but when he tried to speak, no words came out. “I think I need a moment.” he finally managed to choke out.
Then he turned on his heel and walked out of the hospital. I turned back to Cole, who had placed his head in his hands again. “I can’t believe this.” he uttered into his palms.
“I know how you feel,” I reminded him. I sat down next to him, and his sniffled and looked up at me.
“Yeah, I guess you do.” he replied. We looked at eachother for a moment, and then, out of nowhere, his lips were on mine. He was kissing me. And I was kissing him back.
He wrapped his strong arms around my neck, tangling his hands in my long, wavy hair, pulling me closer to him. Breathlessly, I tore myself away from him, touching my fingers to my lips in disbelief. Cole and I had just made out. Both of us were silent as we took this in. Until finally, he spoke.
“I’m sorry,” he mumbled, seeming ashamed of his actions. “I forgot that you’re with Will now.”
I bit my lip and looked up at him through my lashes. “Can I tell you something?” I asked him.
“Sure,” he replied, sounding a bit confused.
“Will and I were never together.” I admitted. “I made it up because I was jealous of you and Katrina.”
His eyes widened a bit and he pursed his lips. He didn’t’ seem all that shocked though. “I never really could picture you two together.” he said to me, smiling weakly.
I nodded, trying to smile back at him. But I couldn’t get myself to force a smile. Not when my heart was broken. “And you were wrong by the way.” I told Cole. “Will definitely doesn’t like me.”
“How do you know?” he asked me.
“Because I kissed him.” I confessed. “And after I did that, he explained to me that he only likes me as a friend.”
He looked into eyes, took in my pained expression. “You like him as more than that though. Don’t you?”
I nodded just as Will walked back into the lobby of the hospital. I looked up at him and smiled weakly. “You ok?” I asked.
“Yep,” he replied, taking a deep breath. “And Cole,” he said, turning to look at Cole, “I’m really sorry about your girlfriend. But if it makes you feel any better, I’ve had my girlfriend taken away from me too.” I knew that he was referring to Valerie.
Cole grinned at him, “Thanks,” Finally, they had come to a truce. I was really sick of their constant fighting and bickering. Not that it mattered anymore.
Because Cole and I were just friends. Will and I were just friends. And I was alright with being just friends with Cole. That didn’t bother me a bit. However, Will was a whole other story. I wanted him so badly that it hurt.
But what could I do when the one guy that could make me stop hurting was the one making me hurt?
Nothing. There was nothing I could do, but face the fact that Will and would never be together.
THE END

i_want_u_2_luv_me said...
awwwwwwwwww!!! as much as i hate katrina, i dont want her dead!!!  i want michael dead.  awww! :(((  poor cole.... poor evalyyne... i so sad that they aren't together... i really should go to bed but i'm gonna start the next one... i'm gonna be screwed in the morning! :)

TuffGurl said...
I love this. These always bother me when I start to read them; I can't read ANYTHING except for these until I finish it. There amazing and PLEASE get published! Like, FOR REALS!!! Congratulations, girl, you're an AMAZING writer!

TeamJacobArchuleta replied...
thank u sooo much! i really appreciate the feedback & i'm so thrilled that u like my writing :)

TuffGurl replied...
Oct. 5, 2010 at 6:29 am

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but what is it like knowing that a ton of people love your work?

Oh and you just grabbed me by the neck and dragged me into this. Sorry for the grotesque description, but ha! I think it's funny because it's close to how my English teacher described a book. Oh, can you tell me if this is good:

one hundred-eighty ham and cheese sandwiches. the last accompanied by a bottle of coke the school gave out to the seniors. You wouldn't drink it so ... (more »)

TeamJacobArchuleta replied...
Oct. 5, 2010 at 11:48 am

i didn't think it was all that cheesy...maybe a little but in a good way haha :) i really liked it though. is that part of a story you're working on?

and to answer your first question, it's surreal to know that so many people enjoy my writing....it's amazing and exciting and completely unbelievable all at once lol :)

TuffGurl replied...
thanks! and no, it's not part of a story; it's just a little blurb i wrote because i felt like it. I really want a teen ink account and i have SO much writing to post... but I need an account first ;D and I hope that I'll be as popular as you are. And when I do get an account and stuff, can you read my work and comment?

TeamJacobArchuleta replied...
sorry i replied sooooo late to this haha but yea of course i can! just let me know when ur account is up (:

MyEternalRose said...
i freakin Love your work ONE OF THE BEST PIECES I EVER READ PLEASE comtinue i litterally beggin you LOL

TeamJacobArchuleta replied...
lol wow thanx sooooo much! it really means a lot that u like it so much :)

pinkypromise23 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
oh my god! katrina died! i feel soo bad for cole! i started crying! and i want evalynne to be with will soo bad! and i want shaun for meee! oh my god you are such an AMAZING writer!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!

TeamJacobArchuleta replied...
lol thanx sooo much! i really appreciate your feedback! :)

MythicWeaver said...
omg amazing stuff. i just made my friend addicted to the first book. she LOVES it

TeamJacobArchuleta replied...
Aug. 29, 2010 at 10:44 am
thanx sooo much! i'm sooo glad that u & ur friend like my work! it really means a lot to me :)

Asianflowers said...
Jul. 2, 2010 at 12:44 am

Awesome. That was brilliant! I loved it. Please write more soon! I liked the ending, but it was such a cliff hanger ): Write on!

Also, I have some more stuff out that I would like for you to see if you have time. Thanks

TeamJacobArchuleta replied...
Yeah, definitely! I'd love to read more of your work & I'm so glad you liked it! :)

h.a.n.n.a.h. said...
i love this book. it's more real. please tell me she and will get together! you are an amazing writer you'll go really far! please post more soon. the series is addicting and some of the best writing i have seen on this site!

TeamJacobArchuleta replied...
haha thanx i'm so glad you liked it! and i can't exactly tell you who she's going to end up with lol...you'll have to wait until the 3rd book: EC+WM=4never :)

5star_writter_mone said...
Jul. 1, 2010 at 11:30 am
i like this i think you can go places and you should so get this plublished right away

TeamJacobArchuleta replied...
thanx so much! getting published is like my life's goal so it means a lot for you to say that lol :)

Emmaline said...
Jul. 1, 2010 at 10:47 am
yeah i liked this one alot better then thefirst  way to much drama in the first    but i really want cole and Evalynne to go out and make it work in the 3rd book!