When Darkness Comes | Teen Ink

When Darkness Comes

May 31, 2010
By ChasetheWind BRONZE, Beaver, Ohio
ChasetheWind BRONZE, Beaver, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 3 comments

“Levi, are you there?” Sara called into the darkness. She though she had heard him enter her pitch black room, but it could of just been her imagination. Just staring into the darkness frightened her to the core. She felt a corner of her bed sink as if someone had sat on it. She screamed out of terrible fright.

“Shush, darling it’s me,” she heard Levi whisper into the darkness. “I came to tell you good night.” Sara felt the warmth of his hand as he laid it across hers.

Sara felt foolish seeing as she had reacted in the way that she had. “I’m sorry I screamed Levi.” Sara apologized aimlessly not truly sorry. She just thought it polite to apologize. She felt his arms grab for her and she let him take her by the waist. He laid down next to her his face inches from hers. She could smell his familiar scent, that of wood, dirt, and peppermint. She breathed it in this one sense of hers one of the few she had control of in the darkness. “Is that the only reason you come to say good night?”

Levi squeezed her waist gently. “ Nah, I also came to keep the darkness away,” he said romantically trying not to sound too foolish which he always seemed to accomplish anyway. “, Would you like for me to keep the darkness away darling?” Levi asked knowing what her answer would be it was always the same.

Sara sighed, “Levi when the darkness comes, I know I can count on you to keep it away,” she brought her arms up and wrapped them around his neck gingerly. She pulled herself up and kissed him softly on his lips. She felt him pull away as he always did testing whether he could contain himself. But then he leaned back in towards her and they both sighed as their lips once again danced against each other. It was the closest thing they could both get to what they truthfully wanted. But for the moment, it was all they both needed to stay sane.

Their kiss was brief but passionate and they both sighed again as they pulled away. After they had both managed to catch their breath Sara spoke, “Shouldn’t you be getting back to your room?” she asked while playing with the familiar brass buttons on his shirt. She had always adored those brass buttons. She didn’t want him to leave; she never wanted him to leave.

Levi pulled Sara close against his chest. “Not until you fall asleep love, you know I never leave until you fall asleep.” Yes, Sara had known this but tonight was different. Tonight he hadn’t come in her room to wish her goodnight until much later. Normally by this time they were both sound asleep. Sara and Levi both knew they would be in big trouble if anyone knew what Levi was doing, especially if Levis mother found out. She was letting Sara stay at their house out of courtesy, and if she found out what her son was doing she would no longer extend that courtesy. “I know Sara, it’s late very late. But I’ll be back in my room before my mother comes and checks, I promise.” Levi said echoing Sara’s own thoughts.

“Alright, if you promise.” Sara agreed as she cuddled up closer to him. The warmth of his body seeped into her thin nightgown and she shivered as her entire body got used to the warmth of Levis. Before Levi would of thought she was cold. But he knew her well enough by now to know why she was shivering. “Goodnight my love,” Sara whispered her head tucked under his chin.

“Miss Sara I don’t ever want to go another day without hearing a goodnight from you,” he answered passionately. “I love you too,” he finished as he felt Sara’s deep breathing slowly even out as she fell into a deep sleep. He figured he should leave and go back to his own room so his mother wouldn’t know he was missing. But he felt selfish and thought that staying a few extra minutes to stare at Sara as she slept couldn’t hurt him too much. And that was exactly what he did.


The author's comments:
Currently I'm writing a novel about this same couple, Levi and Sara. This article/story was thought up spur of the moment and I don't think I'll include it in my novel. But I still want feedback to see if this so called novel I'm writing is actually worth writing. If you think it is, tell me. If you think it isn't then you can tell me that too,