The Collector | Teen Ink

The Collector MAG

By doyoulove SILVER, Laingsburg, Michigan
doyoulove SILVER, Laingsburg, Michigan

"Book are a uniquely portable magic." -Stephen King

I used to collect things, did you know that?
I used to collect your smiles. I would tuck them away and keep them for days when the rain beat down on the world.

I used to collect your kisses. Each one was so gentle and tender; I would keep them in my pockets and relive the moments, cherishing the fact that I had them.

I used to collect your hugs. I would neatly hang them in my closet, where they would stay until one of those dreadful nights when I woke up scared of the dark and craving you. I would just pluck one out of the closet and wrap it around myself, relishing its warmth and comfort.

I used to collect your wishes. They were so shiny and beautiful, almost as gorgeous as you. Every night I would add my own – only mine weren't for grandeur or fame, but rather for all of yours to come true.

I used to collect your sighs. I would catch them in a bottle as they drifted from your mouth while we sat on the couch, just admiring each other.

I used to collect your touches. Whether it was a little brush of the arm or a timid caress, I would keep it and store it away in a drawer so I could always have you close at hand, even when you were miles away.

Yes, I used to be quite the collector, but not anymore. Not since you left me alone with nothing new to collect.

Now the smiles have cracked, and the kisses are meaningless. The hugs are wrinkled and eaten away by moths. Your wishes have grown dim and are covered with dust. The sighs have gone stale, and the touches have faded.

I used to collect things, but now I just keep them cluttered together in the bottom of my closet. Sometimes I still take them out and turn them over in my hands, remembering days that are no more – but not often.

I used to collect things, you know. But not anymore. Now I'm just a pack rat, with drawers and closets stuffed with useless mementos.

on Aug. 6 2011 at 6:59 am
IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other

‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

You know what? I like this article so much! :))) Keep writing!

on Jul. 25 2011 at 1:38 am
Goldenheartbeat SILVER, Murphy, Texas
this is completely and undebatably beautiful.

Jane3 SILVER said...
on May. 10 2011 at 9:35 pm
Jane3 SILVER, Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania

“The capital-T truth is about life BEFORE death. It is about the real value of a real education, which has almost nothing to do with knowledge, and everything to do with simple awareness; awareness of what is so real and essential, so hidden in plain sight all around us, all the time, that we have to keep reminding ourselves over and over: this is water. This is water.”

This was insanely amazing!!!  You are a wonderful writer, this was just terrific!!! I loved the personification and metaphors, and the way you described everything, I managed to picture a girl in a cold, plain empty room with wooden flooring and gray walls, and all she found was comfort out of the things she collected.  Then the collection of things slowly became old and there was just a bit of light from a window in the corner of the room.  Maybe...she didn't need him anymore.

on Apr. 1 2011 at 9:38 pm
morethanunusual BRONZE, Metuchen, New Jersey
love love love love love it! :D

lmd_4994 GOLD said...
on Feb. 14 2011 at 1:11 pm
lmd_4994 GOLD, Union Grove, Alabama

"May you live every day of your life" - Jonathan Swift

I love it!

on Feb. 2 2011 at 6:59 pm
literaryaddict PLATINUM, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"We're almost there and no where near it. All that matters is that we're going." Lorelai Gilmore, Gilmore Girls
"The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound." Lady Bracknell, The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde

I really like this! It is relatable because we all have stuff in the bottoms of our closets that make us sad and remind us of happier days. 5 stars!

on Feb. 1 2011 at 12:24 pm
pinkypromise23 PLATINUM, Cranston, Rhode Island

i know that you believe you understand what you think i said, but im not sure you realize that what you heard is not what i meant.

agreed.              

on Jan. 31 2011 at 7:24 pm
IamtheshyStargirl PLATINUM, Lothlorien, Utah

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

"Bowing gratefully to all of my subjects, 'thank you. Thank you. The pleasure is mine." Nah, I'm just kidding. We're all kings together.'"
~Thesilentraven

How utterly beautiful.

So simple, so delicate, yet so meaningful and detailed.

Relished.

Megan.J.B said...
on Jan. 31 2011 at 5:34 pm
Megan.J.B, Sault Ste Marie, Other

"Here's the real truth. There are eight million people in this city. And those teeming masses exist for the sole purpose of lifting the few exceptional people onto their shoulders. You, me? We're exceptional."
- Green Goblin. :)

This is really good. The ending was just fabulous.

on Nov. 3 2010 at 11:33 pm
UniquelyCreativelyMe BRONZE, Westminster, Colorado
GIRL  YOU HAVE TALLENT! Keep Going!

on Oct. 3 2010 at 2:32 pm
doyoulove SILVER, Laingsburg, Michigan

lol awww, ty rosie! :D

on Oct. 3 2010 at 2:07 pm
RosemarieCraig GOLD, Gloucestershire, Other

A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell."
"The world is not inherited from our ancestors. It is borrowed from our children"

hey darling! I read this ages ago, didn't know it was you!!!!!! its really good!!!! xx rosie xxx

on Sep. 4 2010 at 11:55 am
maggiebar1 GOLD, Valparaiso, Indiana
really good. i loved this... haha i looked on your page and am so glad to see a fellow regina spektor fan!! ;) haha could u check out some of my work? id appreciate it! :)

courteycat said...
on Jul. 3 2010 at 12:00 pm
courteycat, Lompoc, California

interesting...

I loved it. It was well-written and very interesting. The title can pull readers in :D