Kiss the Rain This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

If I knew you and you knew me,
If both of us could clearly see,
And with an inner sight divine,
The meaning of your heart and mine,
I'm sure that we would differ less,
And clasp our hands in friendliness;
Our thoughts would pleasantly agree,
If I knew you and you knew me.
-Nixon Waterman

Prologue

In the unimaginably broad spectrum of life, there are natural laws, and there are theories.

But the thing with theories is that they’re never completely proven. There’s always one exception. One exception that ruins everything.

According to theory, I should be at home in Santa Fe right now. I should be sitting at the table doing homework and watching my father finish the daily crossword. I should be able to smell the rich, vibrant spices burning on the stove or hear the delicate clanking of silverware as my mother sets the table.

According to theory, life is a gift.
According to natural law, and excuse my frankness, life sucks.

Once upon a time, I was flying. Simply put, I was happy. Occasionally I’d sense the aching feeling that life at the present was too good, and that nothing this great could be realistic. I had a family, a home, friends whom I adored, not to mention a brand new car. I counted my blessings.

I’ve always trusted my feelings, and true to their word, the happiness ended abruptly. All of the sudden, everything changed, and this time, it changed for the worse.

So much for theory.

I’ve always wondered what my life would have been like if things hadn’t happened the way they did. I guess I’ll always wonder. My father had always told me that it’s natural to contemplate life and death. It doesn’t mean I’m suicidal, or goth, or emo, or whatever. I’m not worried about myself. That’s the last thing I care about. I care about everything, and everyone, I have left. I’ve already lost the most important thing in my life, and I’m not about to let everything else escape too.

I guess that’s why I’m doing this. Some people may call it crazy, but to me it’s a necessity. It’s the obvious choice. I’m not trying to be noble or courageous here; I’m not trying to be the hero.

I kind of hope they’ll miss me once I’m gone.

I take one last drag of my cigarette and drop it to the ground, watching the ashes burn in the light of the moon.

Saint_that,_Sins This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Loved it!!! Incredible! Cant wait to read more, this seems like a story I could really get into!

nicolehuguley replied...
Awesome! There will be more around thursday :)

ForeverknownasCheyenne said...

This is really great!! I read it in my head to myself, then out loud. I love the way the words fit together. That may sound funny, but its like it all just flows together. doesnt seem like you struggled with getting your thoughts out. It all flowed and fit together perfectly. & i love the poem at the begining. I thought that was pretty cool to be included.

If you have spare time, check out some of my stuff, i would love your input!

nicolehuguley replied...
Wow, thanks! It's so great to hear how you respond to the piece :) and sure, no problem!

Syarra_Greenwood said...
wow that was rlly good it blew me away keep up the good work

nicolehuguley replied...
thanks so much guys! new stuff is on the way within the next few weeks :)

melaniemcfly said...
Jun. 19, 2010 at 12:55 am
Whoaa, this is really amazing :) I can't wait to read moree! :D I like the title, a lot. That's what made me click on it in the first place! Haha.

hepburn said...

WOW

i adore the writing style :) cant wait to see the rest of it!

annexgrey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 18, 2010 at 4:27 am

Wow, I agree with everything gymbabe said. 

I love the way thoughts run through her head, maybe because its a bit like how they run through mine. In any case, I can't wait to read more. :)

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 17, 2010 at 10:02 am

This piece was gorgeous, beautiful imagery, great vocabulary.  It was fantastic.  I'm a little confused why it's called Kiss the Rain, but that probably relates to the story itself.  Amazing job.  Keep writing!

Btw, will you check out and comment on my work?

nicolehuguley replied...
Jun. 17, 2010 at 10:24 am
Thank you very much!  I named this piece a long time ago when I first began writing it, so the title becomes relevant in the later parts of the story. I just didn't have the heart to change the title :D 

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 17, 2010 at 10:27 am
Oh, don't worry I totally understand.  I have a similar problem:)