The Uninvited Guest | Teen Ink

The Uninvited Guest

June 7, 2010
By 101animecrazy BRONZE, Kalamazoo, Michigan
101animecrazy BRONZE, Kalamazoo, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself to much, you're not that good.


Drake stared out the window wistfully. The school day had felt like it had dragged on forever, and he felt like he would die of boredom at any moment. He tapped his pencil on the desk and scribbled random squiggles, when all of a sudden: “Diiiing!”

All the students scrambled their papers together and sleepily stumbled out the door. The History teacher yelling something about a test, but no one listened. Only four more days till spring break! Little did Drake know that during those four days his life would change forever.

Drake stepped off the bus onto what looked like a deserted area, except for one medium sized, cream-colored house. And that's exactly how Drake liked it. He walked up the stone steps and opened the snow-white door. Throwing his bag in the corner of the mudroom he walked into the kitchen to look for a granola bar that was just calling to his hungry stomach. His mother – Jane – looked up from the dishes she was putting away, a lock of her fiery red hair falling out of her messy ponytail. Her dark green eyes gleamed when she saw her son.

“Welcome home! So, how was your day?”

“Like any other day as a freshmen, mom, nothing’s going to change because you ask every time I come home,” mumbled drake around his granola bar.

“Well, I just want to make sure your okay, but I know I don’t have to worry about your grades, Mr.-I’m-so-smart-honor-student!”

“Yeah, I guess,” Drake muttered, walking towards the computer.

That night he fell asleep at ten.

“Beep, beep, beep, bee-” Drake pushed his alarm button to turn it off.

“Man, six already!” All of a sudden he heard a loud bang come from outside.
His brown eyes went wide and he sprinted down the stairs. He skidded to a halt at the bottom.

Green lights flashed on and off, illuminating the living room. Cautiously, Drake walked forward and through open the back door and there was...nothing, absolutely nothing.

“What the...” hissed Drake, then – it was barely audible – but he heard the soft tramping of feet crushing pebbles into the soil.

He backed up expecting to see something horrid...when a girl came around the corner. All of a sudden he remembered how to breathe correctly.

“Um, excuse me, but you can't be on this land.”

The girl spun around and she acted as if she had been caught doing something she definitely shouldn't have been. She walked over and spoke rapidly with many different sounds. Drake just stared at her with a confused look on his face. She tried again, but with different sounds. Nothing.

“English, English perhaps?” asked the girl with an accent. Drake nodded, his mouth slightly open.

“I am sorry I am on your land, sir. I will go now.” And just like that she walked away without a trace.

Drake ran a hand through his black hair. This is a seriously weird dream, he thought to himself. Sir? She called me sir? I'll just go back to my room and everything will be fine in the morning. He did just that too, but he did notice that his clock only said one-nineteen, not the time he had set his alarm for.

The next morning as the first bell rang for the day Mrs. McClain walked into her science room. “Good morning!” She smiled cheerfully to the students. Mrs. McClain always seemed to think that every little thing was something great; she always looks on the bright side, even when giving classes homework. The kids were pretty sure she thought they enjoyed it. Today, as usual, her face was lit up like the sun, always happy (it was sort of creepy).

“Today, class I have a surprise for all of you, actually I didn’t even know about it till this morning! Come in, Ms. Kosiki!”

A girl then stepped into the classroom. She had blond hair; it looked almost white, her eyes were a silver color, but her skin was so pale, not as white as her hair but still… She wore designer jeans, a white, crisp shirt, and a black jacket. “Hello, my name is Shay Kosiki. I am a transfer student from England.” Her voice…it was amazing, it was almost like she were singing. All guys were hooked, except one, Drake Parker.
That’s the girl from my dream! Wait, if that’s the girl then…I wasn’t dreaming!
The girl hardly even looked at the class; she went straight to the open desk next to Drake. His day went downhill from there.

“Yes, we are boyfriend and girlfriend,” she’d tell anybody and everybody who’d listen. When there was something in the class they were working on: “Drake would like to share his.” When she needed anything, even if all she had to do was reach for it she’d say, “Drake, be a dear, and get me that…” She even followed him home!

“Ok, look, I don’t know why your following me and trying to do everything you’re…doing, but will you go away! You’re driving me insane!” Oops he’d cracked. I…can’t believe I just yelled at her like that, he thought guiltily. He figured she’d start crying, and that would make even more of a mess for him to deal with. But she didn’t. Actually it looked like a smile was playing at the ends of her mouth, and then she laughed!

“Well about time! I didn’t figure it would take you that long to snap back, but you are a smart boy, so I should have expected you would keep your…how do you humans say it…cool. She grinned showing perfect, dazzling white teeth. All of a sudden Drake thought he’d drown in her gaze. Her eyes were liquid silver. But then the feeling blew away as if by a breeze, his eyes snapped back into place to see the girl swaying, and she almost collapsed – Drake just barley caught her.

The weirdest thing was, when he got home his mom acted as if he brought home unconscious girls everyday!

When Drake laid Shay on his bed, she immediately came-to and shot straight up. “I demand to know where I am, human!”

Drake swiveled around in his black computer chair. “You demand? Human? What is all this about?”

“I see you last night, practically in the middle of nowhere and then the next day you’re in every single one of my classes? I demand to know what’s going on!”

The girl gave Drake a hard stare, daring him to look away. Then she grinned once again, except this time it was devilish, and, well, quite scary.

“If that is what you wish, Mr. Parker, then I will tell you, but believe me…you’ll think I’m insane.”

“Try me.”

She took at deep breath: “I am a celestial being. Or ‘alien’ as your kind call us. My ship crashed on your land. I came to earth because I am…in need of something to make my ‘sickness go away’… Well…there you go.”

Was this girl serious? Somebody must have paid her to pull a prank. But if she were trying to do that, she would have said something actually believable. So in the end, Drake just went with it. After all he had said ‘try me’.

“So, what, you need like a medication of some kind?”

Shay seemed taken aback by Drake’s reaction. But the expression quickly left. “Well, no, not a medication exactly.” For once her voice quivered, and she sounded wary, maybe even scared.

“Then what do you need?” questioned Drake, now he was concerned, why was she so worried about whatever she wanted?

Shay sprung out of bed and whipped over to Drake. Literally. She was so fast he lost sight of her. She now stood only a foot from him. Silver eyes bore into brown.

“I need…blood.” She leaned close to his neck.

Drake felt the small, quick pierce of pain, but it was hardly noticeable. The feelings after it were though. It felt good, so good. It was pure bliss. Somewhere in the back of his mind Drake must have known he was going to die, but that didn’t matter. Nothing mattered anymore. As long as he could follow this girl to the ends of the earth his life would be perfect. That’s what he wanted, that’s what he would always want. And then she pulled away.

Drake gave her a look that said ‘why did you stop’? A small, sad smile formed on her face. Drake couldn’t help but notice the two fangs as she did so, and that her lips were now crimson. She wiped her mouth with the back of her hand. Her face had a bit more color to it, though it still was way too pale. Drake slouched in his chair; even if he had tried to stand up he would have fallen over. The girl glided away from him to the window. What was her name again…oh right, Shay. Shay… Drake liked that name.

Shay climbed up onto the windowsill and Drake looked up. “Where? Where are you going?”

“Home, I have another way to get back to my world other than by ship. You have cured me Drake Parker. I will remember this.”

“Will I…see you again?”

She smiled one last time, “Who knows, I guess we will just have to wait and see what the future brings. Goodbye, Drake Parker.” And like that she was gone.

Shay…I won’t forget you, I’ll always be waiting.



To be continued