The First Kiss | Teen Ink

The First Kiss

Paper lanterns hanging in clusters around the dance floor washed dim blue light over the slow moving crowd, mellow music played softly in the background and a full moon hung perfectly suspended in the dazzling sky. Trees surrounding the dance twinkled, bedecked in blue lights twirling up their trunks and twining around their branches.

Anxiously I waited in black slacks, a blue dress shirt, black vest, shined shoes and fedora all bought for me by my savvy mother. A familiar red truck pulled up and smiling nervously, Amy opened the passenger door and slid onto the concrete, passively nodding to her dad whose gargantuan silhouette I could just make out against the driver side window.

Her eyes were bright, even in the low lights, and when she smiled at me I relaxed. It was the same smile I’d known for the past two years.

“Hey boyfriend,” she teased shyly, the word new and foreign on her tongue, strange and alien in my ears, no matter how many times I’d heard her say it in my dreams.

Holding hands, we awkwardly made our way back to the dance floor, but by the time we got there, we were both in ferocious fits of laughter and soon joined our friend’s circle as the music sped up, too loud for gauche talk.

Other couples in our circle of friends drifted away and Suzie slopped punch down her slinky dress. Eventually hot and sweaty, we found ourselves alone on the edge of the dance floor as the music slowed and became a ballad.

“Do you want to dance?” I asked apprehensively, eyeing an obnoxious couple who were pressed so close together you couldn’t distinguish the girl’s frilly black dress from the guy’s dark tux.

Following my gaze, Amy slowly shook her head. “My feet hurt. Let’s go find somewhere to sit down.” We ended up under one of the glowing trees on opposite ends of an iron Victorian bench. She had her knees turned politely towards me, though my mother, round as she was, could have easily sat between us. In silence, we watched the dancers with disinterest, but as the delicate hands of my watch ticked away, I began to watch her instead, with great interest.

Shamelessly, I stared, overlooking nothing, not even the way her curly black hair trembled in the breeze. I took in her delicate features, memorized the shape of her cheek bones, the lilt of her shoulders and marveled at her lightening blue eyes following trains of thought I may never be privy to. It made me sad in a way I couldn’t understand, and before I knew it, I was inches from her.

She turned, surprised eyes on me and on impulse, I kissed her. My lips lightly brushed hers for no more than a second, and then two pairs of wide eyes locked in incredulity.

A hot blush crept across my nose and cheeks and I pulled away from her in fear that I had just ruined everything. For a few seconds I stared at my shoes, but when I had mastered the courage to peek at her, relief swelled like a balloon in my chest.

Her cheeks were a deep shade of rose but her eyes were clear of angry storm clouds and my trepidation eased. In fact, a small smile had risen to her lips.

Gently I took hold of one of her callused hands and back on the dance floor we twirled slowly, not breaking stride as the music again became fast, talking quietly till the DJ went home.

A strange peice for me to write.....I've never kissed anyone...How'd I do?

mickeymouse said...
loved it......loved the descriptive setting....very cute story...keep on writing......

Butchie said...
Very sweet and engaging story about young love.  The writer did a good job of creating a visual scene that I could see and feel the emotions going through the main characters.  Good job considering you have never been kissed. 

db10 said...
This is a well-constructed story with good use of descriptive language.

NIO ONE said...
on Jun. 22 2010 at 11:01 am
VERY INTERESTING AND WELL DONE.  YOU SHOULD HAVE A FUTURE IN WRITING

zwrite1 said...
on Jun. 22 2010 at 3:57 am

Excellent! Very sweet, descriptive and heartwarming even for those of us who are a long, long way from their first kiss. All the best to you--you'll have a future in writing if you continue, I'm sure. 

fred said...
on Jun. 22 2010 at 1:31 am
conveys the trepidation of  that first real risk of extending love. conveyed with a voice from the heart.  A kiss? the right person exceeds all  anticipations.  

lovetoread said...
It grabbed my curiosity from the beginning.  Wonderfully descriptive words... a story anyone could understand and relate to.  First kisses have no age limitations.  Keep writing, I'm eager to read more. 

I love your subject; the reader's curiosity is immediate since everyone has their own personal story and emotional connection before even reading on. The delicate beauty of the scene matches the moment of the first kiss full of sensuality.  The details are vivid and truly paint a picture-"knees turned..mother round could have easily sat between us-very funny! I loved how you described your thoughts in as much detail as the scene.  Wonderfully written and as sweet as how everyone imagines their first kiss to be!

lynn said...
This was very good writing. I would like to see more. You should write a book. I think there would be a lot of interest. I used to enjoy teen romance stories when I was that age.

Great job girl!! I love the desciptive language used to create such a vivid picture for the readers! :) Keep up the outstanding work! You have grand potential!

Puffin said...
Good story, good descriptive words, and way to make the reader feel as if they were in the story as an observer. Good job. :)

dragics said...
I am very impressed with the mental picture you created. I think you truly have a gift for capturing the moment. I could really relate to the person going through the motions and emotions. I would only say that the tone was more from a girl's perspective, in my opinion, than a boy's. Despite that, I loved it and would very much enjoy reading a novel.

corgilady said...
Very descriptive language.  You captured the self-consciousness and excitement of the moment.  Good use of show not tell concept.  Most impressive.  Keep on writing.

RJB1 said...
Hopefully your first kiss will be just as sweet!

tooch said...
Your analogies fantastic!   I was right there, back at my first kiss and felt all the awkwardness, eagerness, excitement, fear,  and heart melting comfort that you so elequoently expressed.  Beautiful!

Cinderella said...
on Jun. 14 2010 at 11:36 am
This essay made me want to keep reading to find out what happens. Great descriptive words!