Aging Love

I smiled at him, his forest-green eyes boring into mine, and an involuntary smile sprang to my face. I used to never smile. I reached to set a long raven lock behind his ear, and as I placed it there delicately, thin, slanting red lines on the back of his neck caught my eye and pain flashed across my face.

Caif saw my alarm, and he reached out to stroke my cheek, eyes twinkling when he saw my face smooth. 'It's ok,' he told me gently, and gave that soft, sweet smile reserved for me and me alone. "I don't feel it anymore, Jules. It doesn't hurt. Don't fret." Don't fret. I loved when he talked like that, so different from everyone around us. Then again, he was different-and so was I.

I stared at his eyes and into their mesmerizing depths, at his perfectly chiseled face just inches from my own, and I acted impulsively. My mother had always told me I was impulsive. Here was the proof.

It wasn't like we'd never kissed before. I remembered that first kiss well. But this time, as my lips crushed his passionately, it was different. My hands twisted in his long black hair so like my own, and his arms wrapped around my waste and pulled me closer, closer. Our hips ground together and our breathing was loud, hearts pounding. We weren't acting like two responsible high school kids. We were acting like two kids about to do something very irresponsible.

Caif was the one to finally break away. His eyes shone with excitement, but, as I looked on in disappointment, gradually dimmed. "Well," he murmured, brows raised. "What brought that on?"

"What brought that on?" I asked, expression defiant. And then I sang. It seemed so clichéd to do that in real life, but Caif always told me that he loved to hear me sing more than anything else in the world, so occasionally, as if I were my own High School Musical, I sang to express my feelings.
Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly flow the days

I stopped mid-verse and gave him a pointed stare which he ignored. "It's happening, Caif," I told him. "I won't be with you forever. I want to enjoy the time I have." Seeing him start to protest, I interrupted. "I know," I said wearily. "I'm only fifteen. Some people would say I could be with you forever. I know better. Your age process has already started to slow. How am I supposed to be with you when I'm ninety and you don't like a day over thirty?" I was embarrassed to be blinking away sudden tears. I hardly ever cried, either.

Looking at Caif, I saw his face, so full of concern and care, and I knew I never wanted to see another face. None could replace him.

"Sweet," he whispered. "Julia. I love you and I will always love you. And...somehow...I'll find a way. I'll make you live like I do. I won't lose you, Jules. I won't." By the end of Caif's speech, his face had approached mine again. But now it was his move.

Gently, lovingly, he pressed his lips against mine. This kiss was more loving, more...meaningful. Feeling his lips against mine, my fears calmed, replaced with assurance. He wouldn't let me grow old and withered while he stayed young and fresh. He would save me, somehow.

As one we reclined on the wide sofa, our heads resting inches apart, identical midnight-black hair mingling. I was almost asleep when I felt him brush a stray strand of hair back into its' place. "I love you, Julia," he said softly.

"I know," I replied sleepily, and the warmth of his smile lulled me back to rest.

annexgrey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 17, 2010 at 6:09 am:

This is really good!

I too, had originally thought it was a bit Twilight-y, but after reading the basic storyline in your explanation to Maya, I think it was, I'm really into the story. 

Please do write more! Now I'm dying to find out what happens.

You're definitely talented :)

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 17, 2010 at 9:37 am :
Thank you so much!  I'm pretty sure I'll write more, although I don't know when.  I'm really glad that you commented:)

bballer17 said...
Jun. 15, 2010 at 4:21 pm:
That was really good. i loved how describive it was but i was alittle confused about what Caif was...

Jun. 15, 2010 at 4:31 pm :
Lol, I know it's confusing, because it's an excerpt, not a beginning.  My article Julia Chapter 1, I don't know if you read it, that's the beginning.  If you look at my reply to Maya, you'll see what Caif is.

SydSyd said...
Jun. 15, 2010 at 8:24 am:
That's really good.

Jun. 15, 2010 at 9:35 am :
Thank you!  I really appreciate your comment:)

IAmMyself said...
Jun. 14, 2010 at 7:17 pm:
wow. you're a very talented writer and i love this piece. It's very descriptive and it has a great use of imagery and descriptive language. great vocab. :)

Jun. 14, 2010 at 8:31 pm :
Thank you!  That's very nice of you:)Yeah, I like to describe things in great detail, I think it makes the story more life-like, and with two parents who are teachers, it would be sort of hard for me to not have a good vocabulary.  Thank you so much for commenting!  I really appreciate it:)

Soccergirl1418 said...
Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:35 pm:
This is AMAZING!!! I loved everything! Can you please read mine and tell me what you think?

Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:52 pm :
Thank you so much!  Of course I'll read your stuff!

OurTimeisRunningOut said...
Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:30 pm:

It was really good and descriptive.  I liked it :).

The only thing is I have to agree with Maya, it was a little too similar to Twilight or even a Benjamin Button type thing.  I think overall it was really goo though.  Maybe just explain more why he ages that way?

Jun. 13, 2010 at 4:51 pm :
Lol, this is part of a book I may or may not write, read my comment to Maya below, it explains everything(I think).  And, um, I don't even know who Benjamin Button is.  But I REALLY appreciate your comments.  Thanks:)

MayaElyashiv This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:00 am:

I terms of writing, this was well done. Descriptive and interesting. However, I felt that the overall idea was very very similar to several scenes in Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series. 

Not that there's anything wrong with fan fiction and all that, but I wasn't sure if you were aware of the similarity, since you didn't write anything about it in the description. 

Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:08 pm :

:)Oh, I know.  I know that this excerpt might seem a bit Twilight-y, but really, the rest isn't as much.  Especially the main character, Julia.  She's not some dumb girl head-over-heels in love with a "monster" who will never age.  Caif is a fayeri, and he will age, just more slowly.  And unlike Bella, Julia is actually half-fayeri, she just doesn't know it yet.  Also, Julia's personality is very different.  She is sarcastic and funny and somewhat cynical, w... (more »)

Jun. 13, 2010 at 12:10 pm :
Oh, and I forgot to mention something else(I'm really sorry for blathering on like this, I just want to explain).  Caif isn't stopping them from...getting carried away because he is afraid he'll hurt her, he just doesn't think they're quite ready yet.

MayaElyashiv This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:54 pm :

Oh, okay :)

I hope you write/post more, it sounds like an interesting plot line. 

LeilaAllegra said...
Jun. 12, 2010 at 9:30 pm:
aww so cute!!!(: CHeck out mine

Jun. 12, 2010 at 11:04 pm :
Sure, definitely:)

love.in.the.air said...
Jun. 12, 2010 at 8:12 pm:
awww~ i like it!<3 write more of this plz:) 

Jun. 12, 2010 at 11:06 pm :
If you didn't see, I posted the first chapter it's called Julia Chapter 1.

cait19 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 12, 2010 at 6:55 pm:
This really great! It moved me and it was as if I were watching it! Just two things. I was a little confused on the details. Is she fifteen or ninetyand are they human or no? Next time, you may want to be a little more specific with details like that! Regardless it was beautiful! Keep up the good work!