Aging Love

I smiled at him, his forest-green eyes boring into mine, and an involuntary smile sprang to my face. I used to never smile. I reached to set a long raven lock behind his ear, and as I placed it there delicately, thin, slanting red lines on the back of his neck caught my eye and pain flashed across my face.

Caif saw my alarm, and he reached out to stroke my cheek, eyes twinkling when he saw my face smooth. 'It's ok,' he told me gently, and gave that soft, sweet smile reserved for me and me alone. "I don't feel it anymore, Jules. It doesn't hurt. Don't fret." Don't fret. I loved when he talked like that, so different from everyone around us. Then again, he was different-and so was I.

I stared at his eyes and into their mesmerizing depths, at his perfectly chiseled face just inches from my own, and I acted impulsively. My mother had always told me I was impulsive. Here was the proof.

It wasn't like we'd never kissed before. I remembered that first kiss well. But this time, as my lips crushed his passionately, it was different. My hands twisted in his long black hair so like my own, and his arms wrapped around my waste and pulled me closer, closer. Our hips ground together and our breathing was loud, hearts pounding. We weren't acting like two responsible high school kids. We were acting like two kids about to do something very irresponsible.

Caif was the one to finally break away. His eyes shone with excitement, but, as I looked on in disappointment, gradually dimmed. "Well," he murmured, brows raised. "What brought that on?"

"What brought that on?" I asked, expression defiant. And then I sang. It seemed so clichéd to do that in real life, but Caif always told me that he loved to hear me sing more than anything else in the world, so occasionally, as if I were my own High School Musical, I sang to express my feelings.
Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly flow the days

I stopped mid-verse and gave him a pointed stare which he ignored. "It's happening, Caif," I told him. "I won't be with you forever. I want to enjoy the time I have." Seeing him start to protest, I interrupted. "I know," I said wearily. "I'm only fifteen. Some people would say I could be with you forever. I know better. Your age process has already started to slow. How am I supposed to be with you when I'm ninety and you don't like a day over thirty?" I was embarrassed to be blinking away sudden tears. I hardly ever cried, either.

Looking at Caif, I saw his face, so full of concern and care, and I knew I never wanted to see another face. None could replace him.

"Sweet," he whispered. "Julia. I love you and I will always love you. And...somehow...I'll find a way. I'll make you live like I do. I won't lose you, Jules. I won't." By the end of Caif's speech, his face had approached mine again. But now it was his move.

Gently, lovingly, he pressed his lips against mine. This kiss was more loving, more...meaningful. Feeling his lips against mine, my fears calmed, replaced with assurance. He wouldn't let me grow old and withered while he stayed young and fresh. He would save me, somehow.

As one we reclined on the wide sofa, our heads resting inches apart, identical midnight-black hair mingling. I was almost asleep when I felt him brush a stray strand of hair back into its' place. "I love you, Julia," he said softly.

"I know," I replied sleepily, and the warmth of his smile lulled me back to rest.

i.ll_be_fine_899 said...
Jul. 3, 2010 at 10:45 pm:
awwww that was really romantic:))) made me smile. it was very cute, i loved itt!! i could easily imagine it happening in my head and the love in the story felt real reaal^^

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 3, 2010 at 10:54 pm :
Thank you! I tried to make this as realistic and vivid as possible.

HopelessSharpie said...
Jul. 1, 2010 at 9:53 pm:
lol anyitme love the articles will be posting comments soon

Jul. 1, 2010 at 10:11 pm :
Thank you!  Yeah, those words are overused, but what else is there to say?

HopelessSharpie replied...
Jul. 2, 2010 at 12:08 am :
lol ikr =)

Jul. 2, 2010 at 6:37 am :
I mean, whenever anyone says something nice, I feel obligated to saY thank you, but I start to sound like a broken record.

HopelessSharpie replied...
Jul. 2, 2010 at 12:43 pm :
lol same here

Jul. 2, 2010 at 1:02 pm :
Like, what else is there to say? Most comments don't allow creative response.

HopelessSharpie said...
Jul. 1, 2010 at 5:50 pm:

I love this peace, I love the mystery and love. It is one of the best I've read on here in a while. Lol, btw for the record I did read your work. lol, Your fellow writer of randomness,

Sharpie :)

Jul. 1, 2010 at 6:04 pm :

Thank you!:)And why wouldn't you have read this?  I mean, you commented(which, btw, I'm very grateful for:)).

Just a question here--if I read and comment on more of your articles, will you comment on my novel, Red as Coals Black as Night?

HopelessSharpie replied...
Jul. 1, 2010 at 8:37 pm :
i was planing on rading it, you don't have to comment on my stuff your storys entertan me so yeah ill comment on the next one i read

Jul. 1, 2010 at 8:50 pm :
Thank you!  And lol, I already commented on some of your stuff.  It was great:)

HopelessSharpie replied...
Jul. 1, 2010 at 9:04 pm :
thank you so much, and i am reading some of yours now i will comment on them as i read them =) thanks so muc.

Jul. 1, 2010 at 9:09 pm :
No problem, and thank you for reading and commenting on my articles:)

BlueberryValentineThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 29, 2010 at 5:36 pm:
Lovely! The reader is really pulled into the story. The characters have a great connection, and I can tell that you've spent a lot of time on them. :)

Jun. 29, 2010 at 5:38 pm :
Thank you!  In my head, I've spent a lot of time.  Not as much in writing so far.  I haven't written much of this story.

BlueberryValentineThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 29, 2010 at 5:43 pm :
Ah. Well, I hope you keep writing it - good luck!

Jun. 29, 2010 at 5:49 pm :
Thanks:) 

megjackson said...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 8:35 pm:
this is very good. you're very descriptive. keep on writing ! :)

Jun. 28, 2010 at 8:41 pm :
Thank you:)

MizzBieber said...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 1:38 am:
dang!! i am like so jealous of you right now!!!