Eloise, you never meant that much to me. | Teen Ink

Eloise, you never meant that much to me.

June 1, 2010
By Ciara Davis BRONZE, Snohomish, Washington
Ciara Davis BRONZE, Snohomish, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Hello, my name’s Ben, Ben Alexander Williams to be exact. My life is good. I play football, I have great friends, and I have an amazing family. I like alternative music, and I blast it on my way home to school everyday. Does this seem like your average story of this guy who plays sports all day and drives home from school ever day? I can tell you it isn’t. I am not that great of a guy. I am a scum as she calls me, and the girl before her, and that girl from last night. Maybe I am. Maybe I am not. Can I change? Maybe. See, there’s this girl Eloise. She’s perfect, at least in my eyes. She’s tan, blonde, tall, blue eyed bombshell. Her curls mesmerize me, I can’t even begin. Can I talk to her, for at least a little bit?

I’m in the hallway, here’s my chance..

Ben says “Hey Eloise, how’s your day?” slowly walking by her, she begins to smile. Eloise then says “Oh hey! My day’s pretty good so far..” Eloise slowly drifts away amongst the crowd of people at school.
No, I don’t even think I’ll have a chance with her. You see, I am a scum; I am that guy who all the girls hate. I am that guy who calls you at ten at night wondering if you can come over to have some “fun”. I am that guy who won’t even send a text the day after, or even a call. I won’t even wave when I see you; I’ll just pretend that I don’t even know you. I am that guy, and Eloise knows it. Or maybe she doesn’t..
Lunch starts and soon the kids come out like ants everywhere. Ben soon spots a few of his friends nearby.
Ben spots his best friend Alex in the crowds of people. Ben says to his best friend, “hey Alex! I need to talk to you.” Alex gets a worried look on his face. “Please don’t tell me that it’s something to do with Eloise and her ignoring you.. You know why she’s doing that.” Alex says, angrily. “I just need help. What do I do to even get her to carry on a conversation with me? When I do, she slowly drifts away.” Ben says, with a sad look on his face. He then finally walks up to a line of people all waiting for food. “Ben, to tell you the truth, you’re a player. Maybe that’s kind of a girly thing to say, but honest to god, you are.” Alex says while waiting in the line with Ben. Ben looks away, he then see’s Eloise, and his heart starts to race. Alex see’s Eloise as well. “I know you like her a lot; I can tell just by the way you’re looking at her right now. You gotta do-“ Alex is then interrupted by the lunch lady. Alex orders his food, along with Ben ordering too. They then start to talk again. “Anyways. Like I was saying, you gotta do what’s right for you and her. Stop playing games, if you really want the girl, you’d do anything for her, right?” Ben nods his head. “True. I can’t change what she thinks of me though. She already knows I’m bad. She just thinks she’s gonna be the girl from last night, like the rest of them are..” Ben looks around the crowd of girls to the left, they glare and walk away. Alex notices them glaring, “See Ben, all you have to do is act sweet, get her flowers, give her hugs, walk her to class. The whole nine yards..” Alex shoves a sandwich in his mouth as he continues talking. “Girls love that. Girls love the sweet guy. They know that the bad boy won’t stay long, that’s why they always fall for the nice guy, they guys that aren’t like us..” Alex says. Ben then takes a small bite out of his sandwich. “I’m not even hungry, man. This whole thing is stressing me out.” Eloise then walks by. “Ben, here’s your chance, and it looks like the bell is gonna ring, so I’ll dump your food that you wasted because you didn’t even eat it. Go a head though, you need her.” Alex says, then stomps away to the garbage can and then walks to his other friends that he sees. Ben jumps up from his chair, and smiles and walks by Eloise, trying to catch up with her. He puts his hand on her shoulder, his smile progressively got bigger as she turned around and smiled.
“Ben! How’re you?” Eloise opens her arms for a hug.
“I’m great now!” Ben says as they hug.
“That’s good to hear.” Eloise smiles.
“Yeah.. Hey listen. Can I tell you something?” Ben says.
“Mmhmm..” Eloise says while starting to walk.
“Well. Eloise, this is so hard to say. I just want you to know I’m not who I portray. I want you to give me a chance, honestly. You’re so beautiful. I’ve never felt this way about anyone.” Ben, while walking with her, tries to grab her hand.
“That was really sweet of you to say. Do I say thank you? I don’t know. If you’re not who people say you are, then prove it to me. I’ve tried so hard not to like you, but now it’s going to be even harder not to like you now.” Eloise says, as she doesn’t accept his invitation to hold her hand.
“Just start out slow.” Eloise says, as she grabs his arm. The bell then rings.
“Sounds good.” Ben says with a big smile on his face. “What class do you have next?” Ben says.
“Chemistry.” Eloise says, while walking faster.
“I’ll walk you there.” Ben says, as she starts to smile.
“You’re sweet.” Eloise says. They then arrive at her class. “Thanks for walking with me here.” Eloise says. “Anything to spend sometime with you.” Ben says, opening his arms for a hug. Eloise then hugs him for a while, and lets go. “Call me or something.” Eloise writes her number down on a sticky note, folds it up, then gives it to him as she clasps on to his hand. “I’ll see you later.” Eloise says, smiling. Ben then smiles back, waves, and starts rushing to his class.
School is finally over.
Honestly, I was really lucky today. I can’t believe I even got to walk her to class, and carry on a conversation with her. Most of all, I can’t believe she feels the same way back. Just to know that makes me so happy.

Slowly, Ben and Eloise start to hang out more outside of school. Ben started to give her rides home after school everyday, and Eloise progressively began to fall for him. Ben couldn’t believe how happy they were together.
“Eloise, I’ve told you this before, I’ve never felt this way with anyone before..” Ben says, in a nervous tone. Eloise and Ben were out on a walk when they noticed the park, they walk to the swing set.
“I know, what’s the point you’re coming across?” Eloise says, as she grabs onto the swing, and sits down on it.
“Well, you know, I want to take this further. You mean so much to me; you always have, even when we didn’t talk. Just to see your face, or hear your voice, always made my day. To me, you’re my everything. I want to ask you something, and I hope you say yes.” Ben says, looking at Eloise, smiling.
“What’s that?” Eloise says, smiling back.
“When I say we should take this further, I mean I want to make this official. I want you to be mine, I want to show you how much you mean to me, I want you to be my girlfriend.” Ben says as he grabs her hand.
“I’ve been yours ever since you walked me to class that one day, but yes, I will be your girlfriend.” Eloise says, smiling. Ben then starts to pull her swing closer to his, and they romantically kiss.
“I love you Eloise, I really do.” Ben says
“I love you too, Ben.” Eloise says, as they begin kissing again.
After that day, things between Eloise and Ben were great. They were official, and Ben couldn’t be happier. The months went on, and four months later Ben saw something he didn’t want to see.
As I was walking towards my car, I noticed Eloise in a car I’ve never seen before with someone else. This someone else was a man.. I couldn’t see exactly what they were doing, but I walked closer and closer to the car. Eloise and this man, I can’t even begin. Kissing, touching, they soon crawled into the backseat, which I am guessing something bad happened back there. My heart dropped. I just stood there as the cars in the student parking lot started to leave. Everyone stared at me, wondering what I was doing. I couldn’t believe this. Everything started flashing back in my head. The first time I kissed her, the first time I saw her smile at me, the first time I told her I loved her, it was like a scratched record, everything was repeating in my head. I suddenly felt sick, I ran to the nearest garbage can and vomited. I ran to my car, and sat in there for the longest time. I even cried for the first time in years. I suddenly got a text, which read it was from Eloise.
“I saw you standing there. I didn’t stop for a reason. I wanted to show you how it felt to be in the position you put us all in. Used, ugly, unwanted.. I am sorry, but it’s what you deserve. I carried this on for so long, only to show you how it felt like to get heartbroken in the end. I hope we can remain friends.”
I started getting furious now, but I guess it’s what I deserve from what I’ve done in the past.
Eloise taught me an important lesson. I didn’t get to have her for a long time, but she showed me that you can’t get away with things like that.

I thank you Eloise, until this day, I really do.

The author's comments:
I enjoyed writing this, and I got the name Eloise from a song by the band Say Anything.