One Rainy Sunday | Teen Ink

One Rainy Sunday

By SGOSMCRescue13 BRONZE, Leesburg, Virginia
SGOSMCRescue13 BRONZE, Leesburg, Virginia

Whatever you are, be a good one.

“It’s starting to rain…”

I look up through the sunroof as tiny droplets speckle the glass, the shape and size of each droplet enhanced by the charcoal grey backdrop provided by the clouds high above us. There we sat, in the front seat of his car, with me in his lap and his arms around my waist, holding me close to him. The sky dark, the day drawing to an end, and neither of us wanting to let go, for we know that it will be some time before are able to once again touch each other’s skin, feel each other’s warmth, and speak face to face.

“Yeah...” I say, with a hint of sleepiness in my voice. “It’s kind of relaxing… Almost peaceful. Just listen.”

As we both become silent, we hear the soft pitter-patter of the rain hitting the car, like the pitter-patter of impatient fingertips on a table top. Water streaks down the windows, creating little streams across the glass that entangle with one another. It’s as if the rain was creating a web, encasing us in this safe, warm, comfortable haven. As I watched Mother Nature weave her web, he planted a soft kiss on my temple, his lips lingering there for what seemed like a couple minutes. He leaned his forehead against mine and closed his eyes, and then I closed mine too, snuggling closer to him, feeling his arms and warmth surround me. I could never get enough of him; His welcoming and cozy scent, the sound of him breathing, and how his arms and chest felt like a fortress. Protective, strong, warm… These adjectives and countless others came to mind as I leaned into him, listening to his heart beat, trying so desperately to match the pace of my heart with his.

“Hey,” he whispers softly. I look up, slightly startled, for I had been in such deep thought that I had not noticed that he had awakened. “Hey,” I whisper back, my eyes locking with his, but only for a split second… I feel like a fool, for I can never maintain proper eye contact with him. His stare manages to break me down to beautiful little pieces… Just as his touch manages to miraculously put me back together again. He lifts my chin with his fingertip, and kisses me gently. Those gentle kisses… They send my heart soaring so high that those very same kisses could kill me every time.

“I love you Sarah,” he said with soft-spoken, loving conviction. He looked me deep in the eyes, just like he meant it. And with every fiber in my being, I knew that he did.

“I love you too,” I said quietly. “Forever and always.”

“Forever and always,” He repeats softly, and kisses me again.

We drove back to his house as the rain began to subside, if only for a short moment. We said our final goodbye, and I locked my arms around him. I then climbed into my car, backed out of his driveway, and waved feebly. He waved back, and I could have sworn my heart fell. As I began to pull away, tears from my eyes and the rain from the clouds fell in tandem. I cried for a short minute… But as the rain fell harder, I just smiled.

Just because we are separated, does not mean we are alone. We carry each other’s love with bittersweet compassion and dedication, knowing that even though it hurts to be apart for a short while, it gets easier with each passing day… Because it’s one day closer to when we can hold each other once again.

Simply inspired by early times my boyfriend and I spent together <3

OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania

Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

Wow, this was incredible!  Great emotions, and wonderful similes, the imagery really works.  Excellent job.  Keep writing!

Btw, will you check out and comment on my work?