A Love Worth Fighting For | Teen Ink

A Love Worth Fighting For

By CrystalA BRONZE, Luxemburg, Wisconsin
CrystalA BRONZE, Luxemburg, Wisconsin

“She doesn’t belong here!”

“She’s not one of us!”

I can hear them shouting one after the other. I press my face close to the cold, cement wall and all I can hear now is their mumbles of disapproval. Maybe they’re right, maybe I don’t belong here. I am clearly not one of them; I am human and they are Lycans. They’re voices are getting louder now. I can hear Jacks taking my side and saying that if he wants me here, then I belong. I feel some sort of pressure release from my chest and I take a deep breath and walk around the room.

The way the room is furnished reminds me of life back at home on the farm. There’s an old, stained wooden dresser with a simple full sized bed right in the middle of the room pressed up against the wall. There’s a full size mirror hanging up against the wall and I see my reflection. I really look into the eyes of the person I see in the mirror. I don‘t think about how gorgeous or stunning the woman looking back at me is, but I wonder: “What am I doing? Is this safe? Is this all worth it? Who am I?”

Looking at the woman staring back at me I can’t find answers, all I can tell myself is that I’m in love with Jacks. When I think about how much I love him, nothing else in the world matters to me. All those thoughts fall away from my mind and my heart takes control. The bubbly feeling I get in my stomach when he touches me, or the shivers that trend beneath my soft skin when he whispers in my ear that he loves me; these are emotions I never knew existed and I never want to fade away.

Coming back from thought I realize I can’t hear anymore voices. I hear footsteps coming towards the bedroom door and my heart starts to flutter; I know it’s him. He opens the door and slowly walks in closing it behind him gently.

“So what was the verdict?”

“They say they’re happy to have you here.”

“Jacks, I heard them…I heard you guys arguing. What did they say?”

“They said you have to leave, tonight.”

My chest is aching and I can feel the tears swelling up behind my eyes ready to flow down my pale cheeks. I look down to the floor as the tears start to fall down my face. I should have known that I would never be accepted here. I am not one of them, I am only human; “a stupid mundane” as they call me. I can hear him breathing now, he’s standing right in front of me.

He takes my face in his warm hands and forces me to look into his eyes. His dark-brown eyes almost look black and I search for words to express these mixed emotions. The curve of his lips make mine quiver; wanting to lock them together at that moment. The feel of his muscles engraved into his body makes my hands wander. I rest my hand upon his chest and I can feel his heart beat, it’s the only thing that soothes me.

“Jacks, you’re family will never accept us.”

“Then I will run away with you.”

“Jacks, no! You can’t simply run away from you’re family! They’ll never take you back into the clan. This is your life!”

“My life isn’t worth living if you’re not there to share it with me. You’re what I want.”

I open my mouth to argue with him some more but before the words are able to escape my mouth his lips are pressed tightly against mine. Taken by surprise my body goes limp in his arms. He grasps me tighter making it harder for me to breath but that doesn’t stop me from pressing against him harder, too. The butterflies in my stomach fly throughout my entire body. My heart rate is almost unbearable and I feel as if I’m going to faint.

He removes his lips from mine for only a few words to be said.

“I live through you, now.”

I’m mesmerized by the sound of his voice, his beating heart about to burst through his chest with the intensity of the moment growing stronger. He lifts me up and places me on the bed and presses his body hard against mine. This is the moment. We are bound together as one.

*

*

*

I roll over to the empty side of the bed where Jacks had been laying. The air feels colder than normal and the shivers running down my spine seem to be more painful than pleasurable. My heart rate beats faster with panic; something isn’t right.

I hear a howl. Then the howl breaks into a scream. I cover myself up and quickly run to the nearby forest. A burst of adrenalin rushes through my body and pushes me faster towards the faint cries coming from ahead. I’m drawing closer now; I recognize the voice. I come across a body laying limp across the Earth’s surface.

“No.”

My words can hardly reach the atmosphere as I fall to the ground beside his now cold, pale body with tears streaming down my face hard. It hurts to breathe, my heart can’t bare it. I look up and I see his father staring at me as I lay next to his sons lifeless figure. The look on his face was saying: “He chose his own fate. He knew choosing you would be the death of him”.

I am not one of them. They would never accept us. My heart was filled with sorrow. Now that sorrow is turning to hate. Like a wild animal waiting to be released, rage breaks through me and I become like them.

This isn't my best piece of work but I wrote in less than an hour. Go easy on it!