Your Hand This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

They didn't ask us to kiss, or to hug, or to nuzzle, or to cuddle.
They asked us to hold hands. Just two parts of the body, loosley
interlocked for five brief seconds. They just asked us to hold hands.
They said it would tie everything together. You know, make the play
more belivable. Childishly, I blushed and shyed away from you.
Childishly I blushed, and suggested something else.

After months of practice, late nights, and coffee runs, after months of all night study sessions, and quiet naps in between acts, I fell in love with you a little. The time had flown by, and I felt older, and somehow different then before. The things I had done, were somehow less significant, now that I knew what they felt like when I was with you. And all that time I spent with you, was what I remembered most.
So when show night came, as we began to sing our song, I felt myself begin to eye your arm, regreting the descion I had made as a kid, only months ago.

We attempted to keep things the way they were, but it just didn't
work. You became soemthing diffrent than before. You became something
else. I never told you how I felt, but you never told me either, so I
figured you didn't see it. You didn't realize it. So, when you asked for class notes that fall, I helped you ace your test. When you asked for someone to talk to, I stayed up all night, listening to what you had to say. When you asked for girl advice, I helped you land your first serious girlfriend, something I will always regret. And when you told me I was the best friend you ever had, I never told you what I was going to say, but I never blamed you for that.

It's been a while since I've seen you, abd its been a while since we talked. I bumped into her at the grocery store yesterday. We stopped our carts and made small talk while I eyed the eggplant. Noticing the ring on her finger, I gave her a small side-hug and bid her goodbye. I continued down the aisle, knowing that I should have let you know when you were younger, and maybe your wouldn't be engaged to someone else.

Maybe it wouldn't have mattered, maybe it never would. But I couldn't help but wonder what would have happened if I had just held your hand in the first place.

mimirocks124 said...

great job! it wuz so relateable & real.

please check out my story, promises

sleeplessdreamer said...
Aug. 12, 2010 at 9:29 am

O gosh.... I LOVED this. I loved the simpleness of your writing style that allows the emotions in the girl's story to seep through just the facts. You have sort of a mystical charm in the way you organize your words. This was great, I loved it. 

Hey, if you ever get the chance, check out some of my work... I'd really appreciate. 

katiemiladie said...
Wow, thank you so much to everyone who posted comments! I am SO flattered. This story was one that I am very proud of. Thanks so much. 

Babylufin said...
Jul. 29, 2010 at 12:36 am
I was thinking the same thing about the poem. I thought it was great. :) I saw your comment somewhere to take a look, so I did! Lol. Could you take a look at my own?  :D

B.R.Nack said...
I loved it!!! Such a sweet and touching story!!! Keep writing!!!

Aelita said...
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwww!  What a beautiful peice.  It'd make a good poem.